The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
62lwbc10

Installing Deluxe trim on cab

Dear All, my 58 cab has the holes for the deluxe trim and I just ordered the parts and clips to install. DOes anyone have any experience with installing the deluxe trim that can give some tips? The clips look a little weird and I have no idea how to install. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

THanks,
Mark
62lwbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Installing Deluxe trim on cab

Subscribed. I wanna do this too but cab doesn't have the holes....yet!

Need pics, lots o pics
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
62lwbc10

Dan I can take pics of my cab today so you can see the hole placements.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks. I've never looked at how the clips attach to the back of the trim but isn't it the type where the trim slides onto the clip? Meaning that within reason, the clips can be anywhere? I know they'd need to be APPROXIMATELY where they came from the factory but they don't have to be PRECISELY correct, do they?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Russell Ashley

I'm interested in this also. I have a set of that trim that I will be installing sometime if the future. It came with wire clips that stick through holes in the cab and doors, and the trim snaps over those. I'm not too concerned about the holes in the doors but don't care much for the holes in the rear of the cab. My idea is to use silicone to seal those unless someone here has done it and found something better.
I have a pic of a door that has the holes but would be interested in seeing the pic of the cab to see where the factory put the holes.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
62lwbc10

I'll post the pics tomorrow guys. Ive also heard of people using double sided 3M trim application tape, but not so sure if this is a good idea.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Mac the Yankee

I'm really looking forward to your pics... the previous owner ran sheet metal screws THROUGH my deluxe trim to keep it on
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac the Yankee View Post
I'm really looking forward to your pics... the previous owner ran sheet metal screws THROUGH my deluxe trim to keep it on
EXTREE "Deluxe", redneck style!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #9
Mac the Yankee

I just wish he'd gone the Red Green route and used duct tape!
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
Dan in Pasadena

Super Glue?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
Denee007

I was wondering how that particular trim goes! I'll be interested in this too!

67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #12
Stepside Jim

Just to verify.... I have a brand new chrome kit here that I'm not going to use. I will sell it eventually.

I can take what ever pics you need to answer your questions, just let me know what you need to see.

I personally have no problem with the kit, I got it from LMC truck parts. It was something my dad was excited about, but now that I've taken the truck design down a different path the kit won't fit my needs.

Jim
Stepside Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
Andy_Napco

Also interested in seeing some pictures, any chance you could a scale in the photo so I can get them spaced correctly, especially around the door. Also diameter of the whole would be great.

Thanks,
Andy
Andy_Napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #14
oldcouple

a little info here. http://www.trifive.com/forums/archiv...p/t-82980.html

If you can find an old, 70s catalog for Golden States PU parts, Seth had a how to including pictures in there, he must have scored a bunch of that trim or was having it made. The new owners may be able to find it as well.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #15
Andy_Napco

Thanks, I used to buy from them when Seth Doulton was the owner and the store was in Santa Barbara. I called them recently to see if they had any and they did not. Maybe someone else out there will have an old catelog they can share.

Thx,
Andy
Andy_Napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
62lwbc10

Im continuing to face this dilemma. The clips that come with the trim are no good, they do not hold the trim tight to the cab. There is a very specific type of clip that will work and hold tight. My body guy has ordered a few and we will test them out this week. I will respond when I have more data. For areas where you have access, you certainly can use t-nuts (clips with a threaded rod), but most areas you do not have access to the back. Like I said, there has to be a correct clip, they are just hard to find. Mar-K used to sell them but they dont have them anymore
Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #17
oldcouple

they look like this, pointy end goes in the hole. Maybe use urathane or plumbers putty to lock them in place on the trim. http://www.classicparts.com/1955-59-.../#.UQBy4WfjO30

A sort of how to install tip here. http://www.mar-k.com/Catalog/PDF/Ins...ll_General.pdf
Attached Images

Last edited by oldcouple; 01-23-2013 at 07:47 PM.
oldcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #18
62lwbc10

FInally got the trim on today. It turns out Classic Parts have clips that work, but you have to order them separately (you cant use the clips that come with the trim, they are similar, but just different enough that they wont firmly hold the trim to the cab. There are 12 holes on top and 12 on the bottom of the cab, each one is 7/32". Using the separate trim clips from Classic Parts made the installation a breeze and the trim fit very nicely on the cab. You do have to be careful since the wire used to make the clips is rather heavy and it does torque the trim a little when you push them in. See attached pic. The trim on the door is original. The quality of the repro trim is also very nice from Classic Parts.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #19
62lwbc10

ANother thing I will say is the installation should not even be attempted unless you have a good set of little plastic pry bars that body shops use. You will no doubt set a clip into the cab that let go of the lip of the moulding and these things are not easy to get off. You may also need to remove the moulding if you mess it up and it needs to be adjusted. Either issue is easily remedies with the plastic pry bars. WHen you have the right tools, the job becomes easy.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #20
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62lwbc10 View Post
Finally got the trim on today. It turns out Classic Parts have clips that work, but you have to order them separately (you cant use the clips that come with the trim, they are similar, but just different enough that they wont firmly hold the trim to the cab...
Any chance you know the part number and can post it here for future searchers? Are you putting silicone or something INSIDE the cab over the holes to minimize water intrusion/attempt to prevent rust?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #21
62lwbc10

Hey Dan, there arent too many of the holes that you can access from the inside to put silicone, etc. THe clips pull the trim very tight to the cab so Im not terribly worried about it, plus my truck only sees water when its being washed. Here are the links to the part numbers.

Clips
http://www.classicparts.com/1955-59-...ctinfo/62-825/

Trim
http://www.classicparts.com/1955-59-...ctinfo/62-122/

I do have some pics of the holes in the cab before I put the trim on. Light isnt good and they arent great but I will post them soon.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:08 AM   #22
TX58

I too want to install my new trim from Classic. I bought the kit so I guess I need to order just the clips. I bought non deluxe doors to replace my old rusty ones. I need info on hole placement for the doors only. So, do the clips go in first? then you place trim over them? or do you install clip into trim then press it in? Btw thanks for bringing this topic up, nice job
Posted via Mobile Device
TX58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #23
62lwbc10

Hey TX, absolutely you put the clips on the trim and THEN you push the tails of the clips (that are now attached to the trim) into the holes in the cab/doors. Once those suckers are pushed thru they are a pita to get off, like i said you need the plastic body tools (like a little plastic prybar) to get them off. My drivers side door has the original holes for the trim but the original trim is on there and I dont have any intention of taking it off! You can see some of the holes in the lower part of the door when you take the door panel off. I can try to take some shots and measurements if it will be helpful.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:07 AM   #24
Ratpin

The clips I got from classic parts were nowhere near the correct size as I had the originals that came off the truck to compare to. The classic parts clips needed heavy modification to make work around the back glass on a big window because they went too deep and hit the inner structure. The clips are way beefier than the originals also and put plenty of dings in my side window trim pieces even using extreme care to install the trim. Use caution!
Old 02-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #25
lowrodderchev

I bought new clips from classic parts BAD IDEA there to long and were bottoming out and leaving dings in my freshly straighten polished stainless. took me hours and hours to do. i gathered up what i could salvage of the old ones and used them