The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #26
lowrodderchev

Re: Installing Deluxe trim on cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratpin View Post
The clips I got from classic parts were nowhere near the correct size as I had the originals that came off the truck to compare to. The classic parts clips needed heavy modification to make work around the back glass on a big window because they went too deep and hit the inner structure. The clips are way beefier than the originals also and put plenty of dings in my side window trim pieces even using extreme care to install the trim. Use caution!
dam i should read all post before posting yes all that he said is so true. clips are junk i got a bag of them if anyone wants to ding up there stainless
Old 02-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #27
OrrieG

Just decided to quit worrying about every putting deluxe trim on my plain jane truck....
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:18 PM   #28
dyno

Haha...we have two "clips from hell" threads going!

Still looking into auto body grade double back tape. I went to a supplier today and the only thickness available is .040. After measuring the channel depth and cab contour, I will need .170 for a flush fit. I'm thinking about filling the channel on the trim with 1/8" (.125) spacer material and then using the thin double back tape on top of that. Should work.
1985 K3500 Flatbed

58 GMC 4x4 build thread:
http://http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=557675
dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #29
76er

I was hoping to use this trim also, but it seems pretty safe to say there is not a suitable clip out there at this time, correct? What about NOS?
76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:33 PM   #30
Gribbs

My cab had the trim from the factory and someone even used screws to hold the back window pieces on, so maybe NOS will be tough to find.
Gribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #31
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76er View Post
I was hoping to use this trim also, but it seems pretty safe to say there is not a suitable clip out there at this time, correct? What about NOS?
I don't know what I will run into but I am still planning on installing mine. My clips look like the original ones that someone posted so that's encouraging. I have two of the correct size drill bits so hopefully it will go smoothly. I expect it will be a PITA so I won't start the job until I have plenty of time and patience.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #32
dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
I don't know what I will run into but I am still planning on installing mine. My clips look like the original ones that someone posted so that's encouraging. I have two of the correct size drill bits so hopefully it will go smoothly. I expect it will be a PITA so I won't start the job until I have plenty of time and patience.
This is the stock clip. It has a little piece of rubber on it to seal the hole. The new clips don't have the rubber seal, but won't be much of a problem for me as the only water mine will see is when I wash it.
Attached Images

1985 K3500 Flatbed

58 GMC 4x4 build thread:

Last edited by dyno; 02-21-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #33
dyno

As mentioned in my other post, the replacement clips don't fit the molding channel correctly, are heavier gauge wire, too long and too hard to push in the hole. I also tried tweaking and trimming the clips with needle nose pliers making the base wider and the nose of the clip a little narrower. Pain in the rear, but I guess I'll tweak all of them and install the trim over the weekend.
Attached Images

1985 K3500 Flatbed

58 GMC 4x4 build thread:
Old 02-21-2015, 02:18 PM   #34
Russell Ashley

Here's a pic of the trim clips that I have. I bought the trim and clips from a forum member so I don't know where he got them. I don't remember who it was and don't think he checks in here any more.

I drilled a hole in a flat sheet of steel to check the fit of my clips, and used a counter sink to ease the edge of the hole to make the clips go in easier. My test panel was flat and the truck area where the trim goes is dished, but even with the dish I'm pretty sure that my clips would not hold the trim tight against the cab. The clips did fit the moulding channel fine, but left too much room between the panel and the trim. I think I am going to explore other options on mounting this trim. Or maybe leave it off.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #35
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

I've got the trim for mine, so I guess I'll follow your lead Russell!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #36
Russell Ashley

I really want to put that trim on my truck but can't really get excited about drilling 49 holes in my truck. This is the clips that held the trim panel on the tailgate of my last truck. The plastic clips snap on to small "nails" that are welded on. This was a Dodge but many cars use them. If I can find a plastic clip that attaches this way and fits the cab trim I think that would be a better way than drilling holes in the cab and doors. Body shops can put the "nails" on using a stud welder. Restoration Specialties might have something that would work.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #37
lowrodderchev

the aftermarket clips worked for the trim on the back of the cab there are tight and didn't bottom out. but the ones around the door sucked. I guess I better start looking out for the stock ones for back up just in case one of the old rusty clips breaks
Old 07-19-2016, 11:49 PM   #38
Az. Hank

Anything new on these clips yet??
Old 07-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #39
Russell Ashley

Thanks for bringing this back up. I still haven't installed mine but would still like to if I can find a good way to do it.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #40
mr48chev

It looks like the ones Russel has came from Brothers https://www.brotherstrucks.com/55-59...tinfo/SSTR559/

One thing, from being around a couple of trucks that had new paint and then had holes drilled to put tonneau covers on the truck not long after those hot metal pieces off the drill can burn right into fresh paint. It's not fun finding little rusty specks sticking up from the paint on something below where you were doing the drilling a few days later.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:16 AM   #41
Az. Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
It looks like the ones Russel has came from Brothers https://www.brotherstrucks.com/55-59...tinfo/SSTR559/

One thing, from being around a couple of trucks that had new paint and then had holes drilled to put tonneau covers on the truck not long after those hot metal pieces off the drill can burn right into fresh paint. It's not fun finding little rusty specks sticking up from the paint on something below where you were doing the drilling a few days later.
I looked at that link. I wish they would show you a picture, you have no idea what they look like.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #42
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Here's a pic of a stock clip with some type of rubber/sealant to keep water out of the cab and possibly help the trim fit tighter to the cab??
Attached Images

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #43
lowdownstar
big guy

any up date on this clip issue? i would love to see what others have come up with..

Thanks Ray

Last edited by lowdownstar; 04-14-2017 at 08:13 AM.
lowdownstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:37 PM   #44
joedoh

I installed bed trim on a 65 C10 with the 3m tape and it was easier done than said. my cab was a custom cab so it had the trim holes, but my bed was a base so no holes. the 3m tape to get is VHB, which stands for Very High Bond, and it is a high bond, this is what emblems and trim are attached with on cars since the 90s. you can get different thicknesses on ebay but I got mine at the local hobby shop. you have to build up inside the trim with a piece of plastic so that the tape can rest on the paint without being seen, I used lexan (like plexiglass but very easy to cut) and attached a 2 inch strip every foot or so. you can do it the entire length if you like.

I went through several high pressure and brush car washes and the trim never budged, and its still on the truck 2.5 years later.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #45
1project2many

Check out the Auveco catalog for items like this. P.357 has similar looking clips as numbers 2272 and 1256.
Attached Images

1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:50 PM   #46
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
....you have to build up inside the trim with a piece of plastic so that the tape can rest on the paint without being seen, I used lexan (like plexiglass but very easy to cut) and attached a 2 inch strip every foot or so. you can do it the entire length if you like....
Good info, thanks.

I've wondered if modern trim adhesive used for badging would work on our old style fastener-based deluxe trim.

Here's the question though:

Our trim is very narrow. The gap behind it is maybe 1/2" wide by less-than-that-deep. How would you attach your "spacer" - the lexan in your example - into this gap?

I'm thinking you make a stack of trim-to-VHB-to-lexan-to-VHB-to-body sandwich so it wouldn't show once installed. And you could only do this on the long straight portions, not the curves portions. Anyone have another idea how to do it?

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #47
lowdownstar
big guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I installed bed trim on a 65 C10 with the 3m tape and it was easier done than said. my cab was a custom cab so it had the trim holes, but my bed was a base so no holes. the 3m tape to get is VHB, which stands for Very High Bond, and it is a high bond, this is what emblems and trim are attached with on cars since the 90s. you can get different thicknesses on ebay but I got mine at the local hobby shop. you have to build up inside the trim with a piece of plastic so that the tape can rest on the paint without being seen, I used lexan (like plexiglass but very easy to cut) and attached a 2 inch strip every foot or so. you can do it the entire length if you like.

I went through several high pressure and brush car washes and the trim never budged, and its still on the truck 2.5 years later.
ok i know i am old and not that smart but i don't understand... sorry but i would love help if you have pictures of this maybe then i would get it.
thanks for your help
Old 04-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #48
lowdownstar
big guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Check out the Auveco catalog for items like this. P.357 has similar looking clips as numbers 2272 and 1256.
That is a great Catalog to have thanks
Old 04-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #49
58CameoAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcouple View Post
a little info here. http://www.trifive.com/forums/archiv...p/t-82980.html

If you can find an old, 70s catalog for Golden States PU parts, Seth had a how to including pictures in there, he must have scored a bunch of that trim or was having it made. The new owners may be able to find it as well.
Funny you mention this,my brother in law owned Mustang Auto wreckers
(right across from the notorious Mustang Ranch) he would gather a TON
of 47-59 parts and take them to Seth at Golden State back in the day.
Seth Guaranteed him at least 3k for a trailer load of NOS parts back then,
My brother in law had a metal building FULL of parts and NOS parts back then,
i remember he scrounged all over Nevada and California for truck parts,heck he even found in a Dealership six 55-9 big back window cabs that were crated up and never VIN'd back then. I had my 58 before my youngest sister
and he got married, and my Mom and Dad met him before i did and when my Dad got home he told me you are going to $h^T, Guess what your new brother in law does for a Living Lol.... I went five years in a row from Phoenix
to there place to get parts for my truck, That is how i ended up with my Cameo Bed when he finally told me to come get what ever i needed for my truck as he was retiring and getting out of the business.
Still can remeber his 60x100 ft building FULL of truck parts, thought i died and went to heaven, Lol. I have most of the 70's magazines of Pickup's & Panels and i will dig them out as i do remember the article that Seth had about installing the Deluxe Chrome trim. If i find it i will share some pic's of the article.

Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #50
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdownstar View Post
ok i know i am old and not that smart but i don't understand... sorry but i would love help if you have pictures of this maybe then i would get it.
thanks for your help
I looked in my thread for the pictures, but they arent there any longer, sorry. I did get the info from someone else on the 60-66 forum though so I will look for their pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post

I'm thinking you make a stack of trim-to-VHB-to-lexan-to-VHB-to-body sandwich so it wouldn't show once installed. And you could only do this on the long straight portions, not the curves portions. Anyone have another idea how to do it?
that is how I did it. you can do the whole length of trim with VHB tape if you like, but the two inches per foot method worked for me.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote