The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2014, 01:08 AM   #1
NEWFISHER

What else would you buy if you sold your Harley

A 1950 Chevy truck, what else?!
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

After getting the orange truck done ( the one I built for my wife but I was always driving it) I had an itch to start looking for another project. Again, not a rusted out mad fab skills frame off job. A runner driver, needs some love etc. At the Led Sleds show in Santa Maria a couple weeks ago ( you must go to this event if you have never been) my wife and I pass a SanDiego Chargers blue 54 5 window with a pre 53 nose job and my wife, being a SanDiegan native , says " I wish our truck was blue, I really like this one". She must have fallen on the soft spot I had developed from her happily taging along on our 2400 mile 7 day journey in the 50 burb through Cali traffic. I said okay, ill post the orange crush up for sale and start looking for a new project. Whalla! Craigslist wins again! This time it wasn't in southern Cali, Montanna or in Washington at the Canadian border....Olympic penninsula. Took off last night after work and met the owner at noon today, struck a deal after a test drive and now I have too many cars/trucks and not enough parking spaces. Oh well, I told the neighbor I'm having tshirts made with all the rigs and dummy up a car show name, give them away to the rest of the neighborhood and they can be apart of our own block party car show and cruise inn ( he just scored his first classic at 24... a 55 Belair).

On to the plan:
Here's a pic of the truck we saw and then one of the "Bolt" ...Chargers not inliner , although it does retain its original 216 powerhouse complete with JB welded case, dinosaur replenishment system and the infamous " james Bond drives a farm truck smoke screen cloaking device" aka the skeeter killer. Needs block sanded and repainted in areas (most), wheels, tires, brakes, a different engine, trans, open driveline and a different rear end. Also could use 12 volts, a heater, a firewall mat, gauges that work and a seat. The bed wood is new ( PO kept selling me on this). The bumpers are original to the truck and I am now the 3rd owner. 1st owner owned ituntil 97 then the nephew got it. Still have the original Washington title! It does move, leak, stop and cough and its a good 30 footer with ABSOLUTELY NO RUST or a hint that there ever was any. Its bones are amazing. I spent more time under it and feeling all of the insides of the panels ( including removing the door panels) and their are no hammer marks or oxidation. Its freakishly cool. Just got home and have my Jim Carter, Truck Shop etc list going and hope to se a lot of the UPS guy in the near future
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
capnduane

Re: What else would you buy if you sold your Harley

Nice! Looks real good. When people ask me if my truck leaks, I say, "only if I put oil in it"
Old 06-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
Indian113

SELL YOUR HARLEY? NO WAY, I can't imagine me without a Bike. I do like my trucks though
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
Rude Dude

I would buy another Harley, got to have something to put in the bed!
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
hotrodred

Truck looks good! So are you keeping the 65??
Old 06-08-2014, 11:58 PM   #6
NEWFISHER

I hate oil leaks! I tell people I drive 60 year old hybrids, they burn gas and rubber lol

Seling the 65...nows your chance to buy a low rider John!

Have had some form of a bike since I was 4. Worked for Harley for years and now find taking my wife and both dogs with us in the burb is a more satisfying ride than life behind bars.

Update:
Jumped on craigslist again this morning and found a running freshly pulled complete 250 with a th350 and a driveshaft for $350. Too bad its back North in WA where I just came from ;( oh well, loaded the dogs and drove 300 miles today to grab it.

Looking for a set of gauges , electric wiper conversion, lokar shifter, etc. My wife picked up some mexi balnkets to wrap the torn seat and do up some door panels while she was in SanDiego this weekend. She flys back tonight at 10, but is going to be bummed that the truck isn't home. I couldn't wait and dropped it off with the pin striper for a couple days
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2014, 12:01 AM   #7
NEWFISHER

Getting ready to make a call to Sid at. Dropped axles.com too. I have used Cody at Hurst Racing tires for a long time but am bummed that they are currently out of biz. Anyone other than Coker that you all recommend?
Old 06-09-2014, 12:19 AM   #8
mr48chev

If you end up here in the Yakima Valley I have a pair of pretty decent driver quality cushions with no holes in the covers. Very very inexpensive too. I'm 60 miles north of Biggs.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
NEWFISHER

Thanks Mr48Chevy!

The current lower cushion has seen better days under the driver. It has had a black vinyl cover instaled over the original brown plaid factory cover. Both are ripped. Plan is to strip them, repair the springs, refoam and whip up covers out of some mexi blankets. Jess got home last night and first thing she showed me was her blanket score at the flea market.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
Coach529

Love them blue trucks!!!

Bummer to hear about Hurst.

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #11
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
Getting ready to make a call to Sid at. Dropped axles.com too. I have used Cody at Hurst Racing tires for a long time but am bummed that they are currently out of biz. Anyone other than Coker that you all recommend?
I ended up ordering a set of Diamondbacks for mine. I could not be happier.
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #12
mr48chev

I'm right on 97 near Toppenish if you have someone with room to haul them back headed to Yakima or this area in general. The seat came in a 1-1/2 ton that I got for the cab for my project. I won't post my address here but I am real easy for most people to find.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #13
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'm right on 97 near Toppenish if you have someone with room to haul them back headed to Yakima or this area in general. The seat came in a 1-1/2 ton that I got for the cab for my project. I won't post my address here but I am real easy for most people to find.
I do have a friend in MT that comes that way often. I will keep you in mind. PM me with your ph# and what you want for them
Thanks
Old 06-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach529 View Post
Love them blue trucks!!!

Bummer to hear about Hurst.
After reading your thread ( for the 100th time) I kinda want to do a V8 swap
Old 06-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #15
nvrdone

Hey Fish: I've got a complete seat - frame & both cushions that are in fair condition = 6 of 10
here in Seattle if you are interested.
PM me if you are
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #16
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
Hey Fish: I've got a complete seat - frame & both cushions that are in fair condition = 6 of 10
here in Seattle if you are interested.
PM me if you are
Thanks. I need to tear mine down and see what's under the multi layers of vinyl
Old 06-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #17
NEWFISHER

Just got off the phone with Sid at droppedaxles.com. 8 WEEKS OUT! will carry an extra tissue box for the nose bleed while driving this rig at stock height lol
Old 06-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #18
dubds10
Stalker Nate

I was watching that blue truck for a bit. Looked like a good base for a project. We ended up buying a 57 gmc though which is a 10+ year old "hot rod" build stored in a barn for the last 10 years. Lots of solid projects in WA and OR compared to up here.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:05 AM   #19
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
I was watching that blue truck for a bit. Looked like a good base for a project. We ended up buying a 57 gmc though which is a 10+ year old "hot rod" build stored in a barn for the last 10 years. Lots of solid projects in WA and OR compared to up here.
Was it the red one with white interior that I had a phone deal going and was driving up the ne t night to get but when i called to say i was leaving Eugene he said he had just sold it? I was soooooo close but it slipped through my fingers! If i didnt have to go to work every day i wouldnt have room to park stuff here! Nice buy if its the same truck.

Blue truck is very clean and rust free but an amature garage restoration at best. Has good bones and a ton of little projects that will keep me busy for awile.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:13 AM   #20
NEWFISHER

Wheels and running boards off to powder coat. Ordered whitewalls and caps today along with 12v wiper conversion, headliner,visors, cylinder head, manifolds and carbs. Went with a double bend Lokar this time instead of a single bend on the burb. Running low on Harley cash! Kinda funny watching reactions when friends ask what year and i say 50.....same as the burb
Old 06-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #21
Coach529

Quote:
Wheels and running boards off to powder coat. Ordered whitewalls and caps today along with 12v wiper conversion, headliner,visors, cylinder head, manifolds and carbs. Went with a double bend Lokar this time instead of a single bend on the burb. Running low on Harley cash! Kinda funny watching reactions when friends ask what year and i say 50.....same as the burb

The double bend Lokar is awesome......I just installed mine!!

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #22
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
Was it the red one with white interior that I had a phone deal going and was driving up the ne t night to get but when i called to say i was leaving Eugene he said he had just sold it? I was soooooo close but it slipped through my fingers! If i didnt have to go to work every day i wouldnt have room to park stuff here! Nice buy if its the same truck.

Blue truck is very clean and rust free but an amature garage restoration at best. Has good bones and a ton of little projects that will keep me busy for awile.
You talking about the 55-57 Chevy for $7500 or trade for a Ford model? That was a good price for a solid truck but needed a going through as it was all original still. I thought about that one, but I picked up a 57 GMC just up here in Lynden. Stored in the barn for 15 years after being built. Built 350/350 combo, Camaro posi rear, IFS front suspension, metallic red paint etc. Just need a new seat and it'll be decent lol Picked it up for $8400

Nate
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #23
NEWFISHER

Wow! Niiiiiiice!
Old 06-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #24
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Thanks, it's the little woman's driver right now lol

It goes on the dyno for a test and tune this Friday to see what it can do and get it running perfect. Right now I know it has 1.6 ratio rocker arms on top of World race heads so it was decked and machined, Edlebrock intake, Holley carb, and Hooker Super Comp headers. I just wish I had a build sheet for it so I knew the internal specs. Since it was decked they re-stamped it with the most recent build date so I know it was built March 2001 and that's it lol

Old 06-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #25
Highsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
Thanks, it's the little woman's driver right now lol

It goes on the dyno for a test and tune this Friday to see what it can do and get it running perfect. Right now I know it has 1.6 ratio rocker arms on top of World race heads so it was decked and machined, Edlebrock intake, Holley carb, and Hooker Super Comp headers. I just wish I had a build sheet for it so I knew the internal specs. Since it was decked they re-stamped it with the most recent build date so I know it was built March 2001 and that's it lol
Sits nice and looks sweet!
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote