The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
cansled

TF Fan Shroud

I want to run a mechanical fan with my Champion aluminum radiator, but do not know what shroud to order. Brothers and American Classics state on their site that the aftermarket shroud that can be ordered for the 55-59 Chevy trucks only fit the STOCK radiator. Anyone make one work with the Champion radiator or find another shroud that would work better?
cansled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
Coupeguy2001

Re: TF Fan Shroud

Bought one off Ebay
paid $115.
spent a couple hours modifying it and because it wasn't square, I had to shim it up.
Turned out nice.
It was uncoated aluminum, and polished out ok.
It came with a chinsy fan, and I had to put a better electric fan on it to make it cool.
Cant find a cheaper shroud, tried to cheapen it by not buying the radiator with the shroud.
I spent less money, spent more time.
Looks ok, except I had to drill new holes for the second fan, and you can see the holes left by the first fan.
I had to make a spacer plate that went from the radiator core support to the radiator to make all the air go through the radiator.
Sometimes when it's over 100 degrees here, I drive with the electric fan running all the time.
I had the fan running off the brake switch, turning on the fan relay, but a lot of the time, I just use the manual switch and keep it on.
I bought the two row champion fan, and it doesn;t cool as well as my old Ron Davis radiator.
If I can get it fixed, I will go back to the Ron Davis radiator.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
Clarance J

Hello cansled. I made my shroud to fit my 55.2 truck.

My thread is Just another old truck ---- by Clarance J. Start at post #333 through #348 to see what is possible.

This is just an option that is a possible solution for you. You can make it fit any radiator and fan combination.

It is a little work but does not take any special tools. And it works and is low cost.

Earl
Old 04-28-2017, 11:41 PM   #4
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cansled View Post
I want to run a mechanical fan with my Champion aluminum radiator, but do not know what shroud to order. Brothers and American Classics state on their site that the aftermarket shroud that can be ordered for the 55-59 Chevy trucks only fit the STOCK radiator. Anyone make one work with the Champion radiator or find another shroud that would work better?
The Champion is the same size as stock pretty much and mounts the same way. The shroud you are looking at will work.
I have a friend who has a new never used one that might be willing to sell it if you would like me to ask him. He is not a member here. PM me for more info if interested.
He bought it from LMC but ended up going with a complete crossflow radiator setup with dual electric fans.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote