The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2017, 10:50 PM   #1
jeffs56

Camaro clip frame

Does anyone happen to have the measurements for a camaro frame that is welded in. I measured mine compared to my buddies and mine measured 3 inches shorter. The measurement was taken from the center of the A arm to the center of the body mount. I'm trying to make sure my frame will be good enough to use. Thank you
jeffs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:48 PM   #2
59chev

Re: Camaro clip frame

I assume based on your username that you are building a 56. The 58 and 59's wheel arches are shaped different and guys often push them an inch or two longer than a 55-57.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:30 AM   #3
jeffs56

Yes building a 56 Chevy pickup. I have the Camaro clip frame. And I also have my original frame with the dropped axle with sids steering on it. So I can either use the camaro frame, or use the dropped axle, or yank that axle out and do a Mustang 2 or corvette. If my measurement's are good then I'll just use the camaro frame. That will be less $$$ and easier. Any advice will help. Thank you
Old 05-02-2017, 01:22 AM   #4
dsraven

best to decide what ride height and tire size you want first because, like 59 chev says, the lower the truck the further ahead the axle goes to make the wheel look right in the wheel opening of the front fender. the fender opening has a tapered rear area and when the truck gets lowered the wheel tends to look like it is not centered in the opening. the rockers on my 57 will be about 8" off the ground and the tires will be 26.65" tall. the axle centreline is going to be 1.5" further forward to make the tire look right, by my eye, in the opening. some guys like iy further ahead than that but then it looks too far forward, by my eye. it is personal preference and also has a bearing on tire rub at full turn as suspension goes over a bump. like when turning into a parking lot or driveway.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:27 AM   #5
mr48chev

The original frame is probably still under the truck but even then you should be able to get a measurement off the frame to the center line of the wheel/axle so you can match it on the one with the subframe. As 59 Chevy said TF guys tend to jocky the axle location when they install a subframe to better center the wheel in the opening in their view. One of my buddies has done about 25 of them and he does that but I don't have a clue as to how much he moves them forward. Most guys do it because they don't like the look of the wheel and tire in the wheel well when the wheel is turned out when the rig is parked if it sets too far

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:55 AM   #6
jeffs56

Here's some pics of the camaro clip frame. The body parts are currently just sitting on it. The original frame is sitting right next to it in my yard
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2017, 01:57 AM   #7
jeffs56

One more
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2017, 02:07 AM   #8
jeffs56

Does anyone know what the wheel base is supposed to be after the Camaro clip is installed. I was told about 114 inches. I'm worried my frame is going to be too short, I measured mine today and it was 114 inches. Can anyone that is running a camaro clip on a 56 Chevy pickup post your wheel base. Thank you, I appreciate the help and time.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #9
dsraven

here is a pic of the frame dimension for stock. the lowered trucks usually go an inch ahead for the asxle centreline. it depends on the tire size and how low you go with the suspension though. I hate to say it but it would be best to mock uop the body on the frame and go from there to see if the front wheels look ok in the fender openings. I attached a few pics because the printing is hard to read. the measurements go off the front of dash, which is the firewall. you can figure it out without the cab on though
Attached Images

dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote