The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2017, 02:30 AM   #1
1972c10454

It's Time To Choose New Rims!

So I have a forest green '72 c10 short box stepside named Audrey (after Audrey Hepburn, because they're both beautiful) running a massive 454ci, and it is time for new rims & tires.
I currently have solid brushed aluminium rims by a company named "Modern", running 255/60r15 in the front, and 295/50r15 in the back. I wanted to switch them out for solid chrome Centerline wheels, but much to my sadness, I have discovered that Centerline is no longer producing their cool rims, but have now switched over to only typically-modern alloy designs.

Do you guys know if there any companies out there producing solid chrome rims that aren't the "slammed-c10-style" steel wheels?

If not, I was venturing into the black rim world, because I like that option better to go along with my forest-green paint job...which companies would you recommend?

Thank-you in advance!
Attached Images

1972c10454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:41 AM   #2
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: It's Time To Choose New Rims!

Seems like your looking for old-school look since you mention centerlines, have you looked at weld wheels. I love the weld RTS polished rim with black center...
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:37 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I'd keep black out of the equation on that truck. By solid you mean no slots or vents? Looks like Outlaws on there now (no holes). It looks like Centerline still makes modulars. Are you wanting polished or chrome? I see these are available in satin or poliched.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...olished-wheels
I think their Telstars would look hot!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:48 AM   #4
custom10nut

Have you considered having your current rims Stripped, Polished, and Powder Coated with Clear?
If you like you current style, but want shiney, that's an option.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
jocko

That truck is screaming for a set of stock steelies and PO3 caps
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
70cst

These are mine
Attached Images

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:39 PM   #7
1972c10454

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Seems like your looking for old-school look since you mention centerlines, have you looked at weld wheels. I love the weld RTS polished rim with black center...
Yea, I wanted to keep more of the old-school look, because I like the way it is now! I haven't looked at Weld wheels before - I will go take a look! Thank-you!
Old 06-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
1972c10454

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'd keep black out of the equation on that truck. By solid you mean no slots or vents? Looks like Outlaws on there now (no holes). It looks like Centerline still makes modulars. Are you wanting polished or chrome? I see these are available in satin or poliched.
I think their Telstars would look hot!
How come you say I should stay away from black? (I'm just looking for opinions one way or the other haha!)
Yup, solid as in no slots or holes - I like the way it looks on my truck. The other problem with solid wheels is that they brakes do not vent nearly as well, so I *might* head towards an open wheel...
I would ultimately like chrome, because this truck has lots of chrome on it already.
I haven't looked at those rims before, so I'll take a look!

Attached is the rim I was going to go with.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #9
1972c10454

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
Have you considered having your current rims Stripped, Polished, and Powder Coated with Clear?
If you like you current style, but want shiney, that's an option.
I haven't thought of that, but that's a damn good idea! Thank-you!
I was toying with the idea of going with bigger rims, but I need to look at geometry of my truck and what tire size/rim size combos could actually fit without me tubbing my truck.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #10
1972c10454

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
That truck is screaming for a set of stock steelies and PO3 caps
See I don't particularly like the stock steelies haha! I might go that direction down the road, when I eventually throw some Porterbuilt goodies + accoutrements under this ol' girl
Old 06-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #11
1972c10454

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
These are mine
That is cleeeeannnn! Nice truck! Are those the original steel wheels for that truck?
Old 06-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #12
AirSpeed

I don't know how it works where you live but I pay a premium for 15" tires here in California, every shop I've been to wants 30 to 40% more for 15's than say a 17" up tire. They tell me they're an oddball size now. I would consider a larger diameter rim.
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #13
halfstep

What you're asking for sounds like what you already have without the chrome.

BTW I don't know that Centerline ever did a chrome wheel just USA made polished aluminum. Their original solid Modular drag wheels like in the Summit reference were true riveted forged aluminum wheels but to my knowledge were all a satin finish and did not polish up well. They also made a Convo Pro that were also riveted but had a different center and looked like the ones on my truck (below). Mine are a cast street version - American made and high quality aluminum but a little more durable than the others. 5x5 bolt pattern may be hard to find regardless. Here are mine Centerlines 15x8.5 - polished once in 9 years...
Attached Images

halfstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #14
1972c10454

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
I don't know how it works where you live but I pay a premium for 15" tires here in California, every shop I've been to wants 30 to 40% more for 15's than say a 17" up tire. They tell me they're an oddball size now. I would consider a larger diameter rim.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is not something I even thought about! I don't think I'll have that same problem because I was talking with a buddy who is running almost the same current setup as me, and he got his set of 4 tires for a ridiculously reasonable amount!
If I can fit it, I would like bigger rims - get lower profile tires. But that's where I get lost, is in the tire sizing. In my initial research, it seems nearly impossible to get >15" rims that are also >295, so that's another thing to take into consideration!
Old 06-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #15
1972c10454

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfstep View Post
What you're asking for sounds like what you already have without the chrome.

BTW I don't know that Centerline ever did a chrome wheel just USA made polished aluminum. Their original solid Modular drag wheels like in the Summit reference were true riveted forged aluminum wheels but to my knowledge were all a satin finish and did not polish up well. They also made a Convo Pro that were also riveted but had a different center and looked like the ones on my truck (below). Mine are a cast street version - American made and high quality aluminum but a little more durable than the others. 5x5 bolt pattern may be hard to find regardless. Here are mine Centerlines 15x8.5 - polished once in 9 years...
Dude! Truck buddies haha! DANG yours looks amazing. Gorgeous truck, my friend.
You know a lot more than I do, and I appreciate your knowledge. Maybe I'll look into what Summit does have left over, and see if there's something in there that works for my truck!
This is where I get to learn a lot, because I was hoping to put some 305's or 315's on it, and go up a rim size, but that is completely dependent on what is actually possible.