The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2021, 02:11 PM   #1
daveshilling

CPP 400 Power Steering kit... how long are the hoses?

Any of yall with this power steering kit want to measure the hose length for me next time your hood is up?

I have a super cool and super rare factory direct drive power steering but it leaks and there practically zero information online about rebuilding, kits, etc...heck even simple photos have only been posted here once by a guy selling one. I have a factory 56 GMC PS Pump but its mounted high up on the engine, so I suspect that the supplied hoses in the kit wont work, and the hoses I have likely will have different inlet/outlets. I'm nervous about handing this super rare part over to someone else to rebuild, so I'm looking at swapping in the CPP 400 box instead. My steering column already uses a factory rag joint so it might end up as a relatively straight forward swap.
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 01:58 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: CPP 400 Power Steering kit... how long are the hoses?

Direct drive?? on the back end of a generator?

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:20 AM   #3
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Direct drive?? on the back end of a generator?
You're talking about the Chevy pump. GMC power steering box mounts directly to the frame rail, just like the CPP 400 kit. Most guys have never seen one since it was a GMC option only. My steering column ends in a rag joint from the factory. The PS pump is mounted on top of the Pontiac water pump.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:11 PM   #4
57tailgater

I found this but not sure if it will help any:

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...5559mm541.html
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 01:02 PM   #5
G&R's57GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57tailgater View Post

Sweet ! The whole GMC p/s service manual for both integral box and slave type systems .

Just click next page to go through the whole manual. Spoiler alert the second page is an ad , just click the X and the next page comes up .

Thanks for posting this .
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 01:04 PM   #6
G&R's57GMC

Now if one could only find the parts to rebuild the integral system …
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #7
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57tailgater View Post

Thank you sir. I will probably swap out the steering boxes regardless so I have a functional truck, and I can decided to rebuild at my leisure if it's reasonable to do so.

If anyone gets a chance to measure the hose length on their power steering kit and can share, I'd appreciate it!
Old 08-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #8
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
You're talking about the Chevy pump. GMC power steering box mounts directly to the frame rail, just like the CPP 400 kit. Most guys have never seen one since it was a GMC option only. My steering column ends in a rag joint from the factory. The PS pump is mounted on top of the Pontiac water pump.
I didn't understand the direct thing. I thought that you were referring to a pump that wasn't belt driven.

You may have to go to a hydraulic shop and have a pressure hose made up. The return hose is just getting the correct length hose.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:58 PM   #9
daveshilling

Quote:
I didn't understand the direct thing. I thought that you were referring to a pump that wasn't belt driven.

You may have to go to a hydraulic shop and have a pressure hose made up. The return hose is just getting the correct length hose.
Yeah, or get a different newer pump and mount it lower and closer using a later pontiac bracket in order to use the lines they supply. I can buy just the power steering unit, and I already have the pitman arm, so skipping the lines and the joint saves me about $160... but having lines made locally will cost me about the same. My local OReillys doesnt do cheap lines here like they do in other places I guess.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:07 PM   #10
1project2many

daveshilling, you may find the old pump does not produce the correct range of pressure towork with newer steering gear. The '50s systems were (IIRC) typically about 800-850 psi while newer systems frange to around 1600 psi. I had to learn this lesson the hard way when trying to use a newer pump with the super rare GMC box.

Many years later, I know the super rare GMC system is not as rare in the GM world as in the GM truck world. Buick, Olds, and Pontiac used similar pumps and boxes and there are folks who supply repair parts and who will do it for you. Classic Industries does sell parts for resealing the system: https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...s/5683483.html

A diligent person could use the GM Parts wiki to locate OE seal numbers to cross check applications although I suspect there are folks on HAMB, Tri-Five, and on AACA who will be able to talk about rebuilding these systems from experience. I know that when I had this system in the '80s parts were available over the counter in many parts stores.

I wish I had time to provide more than hints and suggestions but I believe that you may, if desired, be able to rebuild the original GMC system.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:05 PM   #11
mr48chev

That setup used a power steering box of the same basic design as the 57 Pontiac did.

They can be rebuilt but I have no idea of the availability of the parts and pieces you might need.

The hoses were just as I figured with a pressure hose with fittings on the end and a return hose that clamps on fittings on the pump reservoir and box. That is the same as just about every GM steering box up until they went to rack and pinion.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2021, 05:18 PM   #12
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
daveshilling, you may find the old pump does not produce the correct range of pressure towork with newer steering gear.
That is a potential issue. A rebuild is of course possible in theory, if I can acquire the correct bits to do the job, and the consensus is that it will be no easy task. Parts books for Chevy seem aplenty, whereas GMC is a mythical system with cobbled together wisdom sparsely located in small forums, spread out across the vastness of the internet.

I was given a name of someone who can rebuild for me, although handing over the power steering unit makes me nervous, too. If it gets ruined, a replacement will cost me $3,500.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:54 AM   #13
mr48chev

That is the main reason that I could never be a restorer. Being stuck with paying exorbitant prices for "rare" items that weren't that great in the first place because that is what you have to have.

If you want to keep original parts you search and find out who is the top rebuilder for said parts and then send them to them. Unless it is a full restoration that you are planning to show in competition it doesn't really matter though.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:50 AM   #14
daveshilling

Quote:
Unless it is a full restoration that you are planning to show in competition it doesn't really matter though.
I hear ya. If I didn't have this Power steering unit, I wouldn't seek out the factory piece, I'd just go CPP. But this truck was born with it, and even though it's not a show truck, its the rarest Task Force produced for public consumption, and rare options on rare trucks deserve to stay there, I think.

Now if they want too much $ for the rebuild, then I'm buying the CPP anyways and keeping this rare option in a box in the attic.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:33 PM   #15
daveshilling

I spoke to Straight Line Steering in San Jose, and the guy was familiar with the steering box, which was good, and quoted $500 to rebuild. That's cheaper than buying a replacement, a new pump, a new belt, etc, so I think that's the route we're going.