The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2017, 12:21 AM   #26
BIGglaSS

Re: Camaro Clip Measurement. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartch1 View Post
I'm too late for that since I cut the frame a long time ago.
In that case, I'd go with the stacked frame method. That gets the stance lower than the no-limit level frame method.
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:56 AM   #27
mr48chev

Some photos of a subframe job my buddy did. http://s173.photobucket.com/user/mr4...?sort=4&page=1
NOTE THOUGH!!!! this truck was intended to be in the weeds low.

I found out a long time ago that to get your rig to set exactly where you want it height wise with a subframe job you have to set the remainder of the frame level at the exact static height you want it to sit at (it has to be level because you want the completed frame to be straight without a bend in the middle you do not build in rake in the frame)
Then you block the subframe at real close to the exact ride height that it rolled around in the donor rig. That may take sliding under a similar rig to the donor and measuring the distance from the bottom of the crossmeber to the floor or ground. We did exactly that with a student's Nova when we put the Nova subframe under my 51 Merc and it sat perfect and drove fantastic.

We sat the front crossmeber on a piece of cross tie when we did the Merc and leveled the rear legs of the subframe to match the stock frame. We used a rear steer subframe on that one though and those work great on those Mercs.

At any rate the rear legs of the subframe and the stock frame rails have to be on the exact same plane no matter what the ride height is. The subframe should sit exactly as it did in the donor rig as far as level front to back.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:24 AM   #28
rapid49

Quote:
That's crazy how much of a difference 3/4" makes! Wow! What size tires/rims are you running? If you get a chance can you get me a measurement of ride height you are at?
The rims are 17 x 7 . I don't remember the exact tire size but they are about 26" tall . I think it is about 5'' at the front of the rocker . I haven't had a chance to work on the truck in a couple of weeks . I will try to stop by the shop where it is stored and get measurements this evening.
rapid49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #29
rapid49

Here is a pic on the ground with all thread in the front shock location to set the ride height . The lower control arms are level and the frame is stacked (Lux Blue method).
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #30
dsraven

even though the frame has been cut, you can still do the squareness check. just reference spots on the frame that are the same on each side, like the cab mount locations. have a reliable buddy help you and measure corner to corner. compare the measurements. use a tape measure that is marked on both edges of the rule so you don't have to guess. I have also used a length of wire (something that won't stretch) with a bolt the same size as the referencing hole in the frame securely attached to one end of the wire. drop the bolt into the hole and have buddy keep it tighly pressed into the hole as you pull the wire tight to the opposite corner to get a length reading. you can mark the wire and then do the same for the other corner to corner check. 1/8 out of square is the max recomended by GM in their manual for the truck.
also check for up and down sag with a stringline or laser.
also check for straight front to rear. for that one I have marked each crossmember at the midline, side to side, then run a stringline or laser from the rear cross member midpoint to the front cross member midpoint and then check each cross member in between to ensure the centreline matches the midpoint mark. this method is also usefull when setting up engine and diff placement, trans mounts etc.
post a few pics of what you have to work with.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:03 PM   #31
rapid49

Quote:
That's crazy how much of a difference 3/4" makes! Wow! What size tires/rims are you running? If you get a chance can you get me a measurement of ride height you are at?
I checked the ride height . It is 6 1/2 " at the front of the rocker which is the lowest point.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:12 PM   #32
Kartch1

Thanks so much everybody for your input! That really helps a ton. Thanks for the measurements! That should get me headed in the right direction.
Kartch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #33
Kartch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid49 View Post
I checked the ride height . It is 6 1/2 " at the front of the rocker which is the lowest point.
Thanks tons. This should help me figure out my ride height and get my clip into ride height before I weld it in.
Kartch1 is offline   Reply With Quote