The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
chevy72blu

'72 Leafs to trailing arm conversions

I have a '72 C20 cut down to a C10 and converted to 5 lug. The factory leafs were kept with the overloads and a few leafs removed to lower it about 2".

All of the leaf bushings are shot and instead of replacing them all I'm considering swapping over to trailing arms (or less likely a 4 link). My primary goal is ride quality, but I'd also like to make it hook up a bit better and lower it another 2" (4" of total drop).

My rear end is a '70-82 (63.5" wide) GM 12 bolt without a panhard bar mount. I want to keep my rear end.

Obviously the most cost effective thing would be to find a pair of stock trailing arms, brackets, and spring perches. I could then use something like the CPP super track bar in lieu of a PHB. I've found a few sets of '60-66 arms. Are these the same dimensionally as the 67-72?

Other than cutting off and re-welding the spring perches, and torching out the factory rivets, what other fab work is involved? I assume I'll need to install new shock mounts, also.

I'd love to spring for the CPP, No Limit, or Porterbilt kits but they are over my budget for the time being. Would the ECE kit and CPP track bar combo be a more affordable option?

I may just rebuild my leafs with drop shackles and add a set of caltracs, but I've never really liked the way leaf springs ride compared to a coil spring '72 BBC truck I owned years ago...

Any tips or pictures you can share would be helpful. Thanks

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote