The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
drewskiren
Lucky Teter at the wheel

** YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN ** The truck Chevrolet should have built.

Lets build a 1972 Chevrolet Crew Cab from scratch.
I have been lurking here on the board for about a year and a half while formulating my ideas for the perfect truck for work and family. It all started when I was lying in bed for 2 months in January of 09 with a herniated disc and I found this site and saw that perfect gold crew cab that everybody goes ape over. Just the kind of challenge I love, lets see if I can stretch myself and pull this off.

I'll classify this build as a resto-mod, I want it to look like a restored factory truck, (that they never built) but want it to have many modern conveniences.

An update as of Feb. 10th 2011: Now I will be installing a complete Ride Tech air ride system with height controls, see page 22, 28, & 79.
Additionally we will have a 5.3 liter/4speed 4L60 combination. All of this will be mounted on a 2001 Chevy truck frame with rack and pinion steering, 4 wheel ABS disc brakes, etc.

Update 9-20-11: Painting section now done, see pages 66 - 71 to watch the progress.

Update 4-4-12: The truck is on the road!!!

Update 5-26-12: Go to page 130 for special video announcement. SPOILER ALERT.

Update 8-10-12: Our Crew Cab is in Hot Rod Magazine!!! October 2012 issue page 79.

I didn't want to start the thread right away because I knew that it would be on hold over the summer, (3 kids out of school, overseas mission trips, wakeboarding on the lake, etc.) I started the day after Easter and stopped Memorial day, 2010. I am just starting back now and hope to have a continuous build until finished.
The first ingredient happened to be a rust free California truck that I "borrowed" the perfect bed from. We bought it in March, but didn't pick it up and drive it home until June 2009. I replaced it with a semi rusty and dented, but repaired, bed I got for $100. My son and I drove it back to Memphis from California. The only trouble we had was a blowout. I drove it daily until January 2010, then I sold it after swapping the bed.
Attached Images

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (Finished with MAJOR Surgery - IT'S ALIVE!!!)

The Bride is currently under the knife!

Last edited by drewskiren; 08-11-2012 at 03:12 PM.
drewskiren is offline   Reply With Quote