The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2005, 11:04 PM   #1
bretthan
Damn those ricers

Turn signal doesn't cancel

Hi, I just bought a 94 chevy cheyenne, and the left turn signal doesn't automatically cancel. Now I know this isn't that big of a deal, but has this happened to anyone else, and if so, is it an easy fix, or is it to much work to worry about.

In God We Trust, Vengeance is Mine, Sayeth the Lord, NO FEAR!
Indian Larry 1949-2004
bretthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:25 AM   #2
GenIIIShorty
JUNK COLLECTOR!!!!!

your turn signal cancelling cam is broken. they are made out of cheap plastic, and it happens a lot. in order to replace it, it costs about 60 bucks for a new one, you have to pull your steering wheel off and take your column apart, also you have to get under the trim at the bottom of the steering column and disconnect the wiring harness (it's all one piece). i don't remeber what year they started putting airbags in, but if you have an airbag, you can't do it at home, you'll set the airbag off right in your face, which means you have to take it to a shop to get it done. so it's kinda a PITA unless you have the steering column apart for another reason
GenIIIShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
99-2door

94 doesn't have an airbag, but you can service the steering columns that do. As long as you take the proper precautions you don't have to worry about the airbags.
Don't spread misinformation.
99-2door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 03:58 PM   #4
ChevyTech

The Left cancel spring may be all that is broken. You may be able to buy just the spring. It has been several years since I have bought just a spring, but the last one I bought, I bought from my employer (Chev Dealership).

Look at the picture. You can see a screw driver in a screw in the upper left area of the picture. Just down a bit and to the right there is a circular metal spring. It is by the light colored open area of the T/S switch. The spring is what the cancel cam pushes against to turn the turn signal off. These springs break.

ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:42 PM   #5
bretthan
Damn those ricers

I'm guessing its the spring, because the right signal cancels, but the left doesn't, and if the cam was broken, neither would cancel. Thanks ChevyTech for the pic, that reall helps. So to get to that stage, do you only have to take the steering wheel off, or is there more involved than that. Also, how do you take the steering wheel off.

Indian Larry 1949-2004
Old 08-30-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
ChevyTech

You are welcome bretthan

A puller is used to remove the steering wheel (after removing the retainer clip & nut). A special tool is also used to remove the lock plate. Most tool rental stores have them. If you are near a AutoZone, try them first.

Here are web sites that explain how to do column work and have photos.

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/article95.html

http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

ChevyTech
Old 08-30-2005, 11:15 PM   #7
milehightoyz
AttentionDeficitDisorder

great info thanks chevy tech, my new truck doesnt have this problem but previous ones have. this is great info to have. greatly appreciated.
milehightoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:54 AM   #8
bretthan
Damn those ricers

Thanks for all your help chevytech, now just to find a spring and a steering wheel puller......

Indian Larry 1949-2004
Old 08-31-2005, 12:38 PM   #9
ChevyTech

You are welcome Milehightoyz & bretthan

A thanks is always nice.

My favorite site for steering columns was the site by Oliver Scholz , but my computer settings seem to block the photos. Here is a link if you want to see if you can use it.

http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html
Old 09-19-2005, 10:56 PM   #10
pa_snowman

you can also get the plastic part at AutoZone. it doesn't come with the springs though, just the plactis sectiond. i just saw it there the other day while i was looking for other parts. it is in the HELP section (the red packages).
Old 09-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #11
mariad444

Re: Turn signal doesn't cancel

So the part that is broken in the turn signal for me is the little metal piece that holds on to it. I see it in the picture of @CHEVYTECH where the screw driver is on the screw holding the piece on I am looking for. Not sure of its name or where to find it. anyone know?
mariad444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #12
mariad444

What is that piece the screw is holding that your screwdriver is in. That metal piece. That is what broke in my car. How do I find it. Dealer said they don't make it anymore according to the shop. They said I have to find it myself.
mariad444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #13
ChevyTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariad444 View Post
What is that piece the screw is holding that your screwdriver is in. That metal piece. That is what broke in my car. How do I find it. Dealer said they don't make it anymore according to the shop. They said I have to find it myself.
Switch actuator arm assembly.
GM part number 7827038
Double check the number because I don't know your vehicle info, but that fits many years.

Welcome to the board!