The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #1
72kool

2wd locker questions

I had my mind made up to buy a Spartan locker for my truck But I thought of some questions that have me in doubt and need some help now. So starting from the beggining, I have a 72 GMC C25 with a Dana 60 and 4.10 gears. Its a 350/th350 setup. I don't like the open diff and wanted better traction for summer fun. The reason I considered the Spartan locker was easy installation and a family mans budget. My doubt comes from the reason I drive this in the winter and want a safe ride. I'm a careful driver with my truck ( cleaned up too many accidents) but the truck now is a sliding machine on any ice/ packed snow road. I will be putting some new tires on the back as well, but what would be a good solution for the traction I want without making it a hazard to drive in snow? What is the best unit that is good in the winter driving and does burnouts in the summer?
Old 10-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: 2wd locker questions

All Sparton did was copy a lock-rite................. Dana 60, I'd be looking at either a Power-loc or a True-trac
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #3
jwilson645

I've ran both the Aussie Locker and the LockRight on daily drivers and had good luck with them. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

I will say though that if you can, a selectable locker such as an ARB air locker is the way to go. Locked when you need it, free wheel when you don't.
jwilson645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
Bigdav160

If it locks in a curve, on an icy road, suddenly you'll be going straight ahead.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
72kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
If it locks in a curve, on an icy road, suddenly you'll be going straight ahead.
that is the one reason i was interested in the spartan or powertrax lockers beause they are spring loaded that release in turns unless under heavy throttle. so if your not an idiot it should be safe to turn in.

"I've ran both the Aussie Locker and the LockRight on daily drivers and had good luck with them. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

I will say though that if you can, a selectable locker such as an ARB air locker is the way to go. Locked when you need it, free wheel when you don't."

did you ever have them through snow and ice? anything you regretted with them? where would i find an arb air locker? just google search?
Old 10-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
truckster

A locker has the potential to make your sliding problem worse. The reason you're sliding is a loss of grip, not necessarily rotational force. In other words, because the rear of the truck is so light compared to the front, and the drive wheels are pushing the weight, it wants to go in the easiest direction, which may be sideways. Having both wheels spin can make that worse, because right now you have one wheel that's spinning and one wheel that still wants to go straight on the rear. When both wheels are spinning they'll both go in the easiest direction.

If you're going to install a locker, you're going to have to address weight distribution as well. Adding some weight to the rear of your truck will help. And I suspect you'll quickly find that it's going to take a very light touch on the throttle in icy or snow conditions to keep going straight.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #7
cadillac_al

A selectable locker would be ideal. 500 lbs (snowsled) on the back of a truck will turn an open diff pickup into a great snow machine and ride much better to boot. Personally I hate posi's in the winter. No matter how gentle I am with the throttle there is always a time when it is too much and the rear end passes me. I wrecked my favorite Caddy with a posi rear end and swore off them forever. I would love to have a selectable locker in a truck though.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #8
72kool

it sounds like a selectable locker would be my best bet, unfortunately they dont seem to fit a family mans budget at this time.

i use to drive around with 700 lbs weight in the bed and it worked great but that is not available to me anymore and havnt found a safe equivalent yet. (dont want anything that will move around ).

so i think ill go ahead and get a lunchbox locker because its affordable to achieve what i want mainly, and try to not drive it in snow. should be easier as i have a suburban plow truck now but sometimes i just need a truck. where does everybody buy theirs from? first hand experience with any of them? i chose the spartan originally because it comes with a new center pin and it can get it for 350 on ebay from a well rated store. any others at that price that you would recommend?
Old 10-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #9
b454rat

Some people love em most hate em, but the govlock GM pits in their late models. In the early 2000s GM vans had Dana 60s and 70s, using the govlock. In case you don't know what one is, it's a locker/posi that locks when one tire is spinning roughly 100 rpms different than the other. They are easily to engage, just lightly spin the tire and it will lock, let off the gas and it will unlock. The smaller axles they are called grenade locks used they usually blow in spectacular fashion, but the bigger ones hold up better in normal use. Now how they are in a Dana I'm not sure. I'm not sure on the spline count either, I never had one to pull apart. But your axle I believe is 30 spline, possibly 16 or 19 can't remember. But an axle change shouldnt be too hard to find, and easy to do. A tracklok or power lock would be the next two options....
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #10
AnotherWs6

^^^^^^Grenade is right. I actually thought it was a gun shot when mine exploded. I replaced it with a tru trac, mistake. The tru trac needs both wheels to have some traction with the earth to work. So if you're off road and you have one wheel off of the ground that wheel will spin while the other does nothing. Well guess what? Often times in snowy condition, usually unless on a highway, there is so little traction available that the unit will not engage, just like if one wheel were in the air. In the dry it will light both tires up no problem. When it gets real slippery it checks out and may as well not even be there when you need it the most.

Does anybody have the Richmond powertrax? That seems like a reasonably priced alternative as well. Although a little pricey when it's for a Dana 60.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...0-lr/overview/
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:15 PM   #11
72kool

i have the 30 spline axles. i have also considered the powertrax units and had the same thought about how they are alot more expensive for the dana 60 than other differentials. what is the difference between their no-slip and lock rights?
Old 10-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #12
AnotherWs6

I'm not really sure but honestly it doesn't look like much. Can you install the spartan without taking everything in the rear apart? That was what originally caught my eye about the richmond. There is no need to pull gears and "setup" the rear. That makes things a LOT easier if your open carrier and gears are in good shape still.
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #13
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

The way to solve the Truetrac issue (with one wheel in the air or on ice) is to apply the brakes. I have a Truetrac in my winter ride and if I notice the "wild spin", I let it spin down and apply the brakes with my left foot then give it some gas while gently riding the brakes. Works fine. I like that diff for this reason because it really doesn't feel locked around turns so the back end tends to stay planted unless you really (and stupidly) push it in bad weather. Just about every limited-slip unit I've tried is scary on turns if you don't respect the weather conditions. Of course lockers are too if they lock unexpectedly.

I've been scared to try the E-Locker. I read too many folks were breaking them. But that always seemed like an interesting option. It's costs about the same as a Truetrac last I check, but it's been a while.

I also run a good set of studded snow tires in the winter.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:28 PM   #14
72kool

yes. that is the appeal about these is that all you do is pull the cross pin shaft, remove the spider gears and install the new unit. the spartan also includes a new heavy duty cross pin shaft. in and out in about 1 hour. no resetting the gears or pulling the carrier out. that all stays in the truck and no special tools.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:47 PM   #15
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72kool View Post
yes. that is the appeal about these is that all you do is pull the cross pin shaft, remove the spider gears and install the new unit. the spartan also includes a new heavy duty cross pin shaft. in and out in about 1 hour. no resetting the gears or pulling the carrier out. that all stays in the truck and no special tools.
That's an interesting design and affordable too. Haven't tried it.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:33 PM   #16
Chevy72c10

I have a Spartan locker in my 72 I don't like it. I have a 355 maybe 350-400hp and the locker doesn't hold.
Chevy72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote