The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2023, 12:25 AM   #1
62ChevyC60Wrecker

Gauges not working

My fuel gauge is not working correctly; when the tank is full it reads approximately half tank "over full". The sender took a crap on me and I am in process of replacing that; is there anything I should look at while I have the tank out (ground wise) that may affect the gas gauge? A friend of mine suggested the gas gauge may be bad. My temp gauge is also not operational. This winter it put out heat just fine & it would cook you out of the truck. I polished the temp sender with a wire brush and changed the connector and still nothing. Are there any oem gauges out there new in the box for sale??????
62ChevyC60Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:35 PM   #2
62ChevyC60Wrecker

Re: Gauges not working

I had to drop the ful tank on the 84 K20 Chevy Suburban due to the sending unit took a crap on me. While I had the tank down I changed all the rubber lines; including the main filler neck line. I took note on the grund wire location for the seending unit and used a wire wheel on my right angle grinder and cleaned the inside of the frame and relocated the new ground to the inside the top of the frame. The fuel gauge works now & now I don't have any fire. A friend suggested to use my transfer pump and check the hardlines from the engine bay back towards the gas tank by pumping ful through them and watch for leaks. Same friend also suggested the new mechanical fuel pump I bought may be a dud.
Old 06-26-2023, 11:42 PM   #3
62ChevyC60Wrecker

I succeeded in getting my fuel system back up & running. the only issue was the sender. I wound up using a tranfer pump (drill style) to "prime" the main fuel line to the engine. With a little "boost" from a can of ether my friend was spraying the truck came back to life. Now to take on "other smaller projects" that I have the parts for and don't; (and shouldn't) have to spend any more money currently.
Old 06-27-2023, 08:18 PM   #4
62ChevyC60Wrecker

After doing some grinding on the inside of the frame channel; I relocated the new ground there and teh fuel gauge works now. Now to figiure out the temperature gauge issue on not sending anything from the sensor.
Old 07-15-2023, 10:33 PM   #5
62ChevyC60Wrecker

After relocating the ground wire for the sender to inside the frame; (where I could get a right angle grinder to grind the frame shiny) for good contact the fuel gauge works properly now. Next task will be to work on the temp gauge. A friend suggested to check the dash for a bad wire (or possibly the gauge is bad), before changing the sensor on the block.