The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2018, 10:58 PM   #226
joedoh

Re: 1941 1/2 ton project Hannah

I make a plan for it every year, last year I got the drop spindles and springs (that I stupidly sold the drop spindles then had to buy another pair) and the year before I got bupkis. in fact last year and this year were the best its been, good weather, good turnout, verifiable deals. I am a lifer now.

wired the VA setup and got all the wiring tucked and tied up, the pcm found a secure home behind the VA system, so thats done. extended the clutch safety switch wires (when I started it last month I just jumped it, so I guess not-so-safety) and the brake switch wires.

IMG_9816 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

fuse box in its forever home (mounted with the screw just like factory)
IMG_9817 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

lets be brutally honest, after getting cold decked by this thing for 7 months I was due for a good deal. well I got it. I was planning to remount the steppers in the factory cluster, I have done it before and its a great look but a giant amount of work and sometimes they dont survive the heat and harshness of a truck interior. but for giggles I thought I would see what the s10 cluster would look like in the 41 hole.

IMG_9810 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

well I'll be dipped. just a little trimming and it will even bolt in.

IMG_9814 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9813 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9812 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the sun does shine on a dogs butt once in a while. it will need just two small trim pieces but woop de doo, I can do that when I build the glovebox from kydex.

more tomorrow! I beat the rain with mowing tonight so I can work in the cool morning on finishing up the interior stuff and move to the bed wood.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:35 AM   #227
Nut Case

Joe

That's one "nasty gash" in the dash.
Gota love it when one goes your way, strong work.

I was just wondering, if in the future you were to build a tk to keep for a while, what might that be?

Keep on keepin on

Nut
Old 05-23-2018, 04:30 PM   #228
joedoh

well the last 41 was supposed to be my keeper. lately I cant wait to start the next one though. the 49 gmc that is on deck was at one point going to be mine too, but I am alrady thinking down the line.

I think a nice 55-57 big window on a I-dont-care-what-anyone-thinks chassis swap would be something I would keep. maybe like a toyota tacoma chassis with the 2.7l inline 4.

I see signs all over that I should build one, like that bed at the swap meet this weekend, and I found a 56 big window cab that the guy just flat stopped answering his phone about.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:42 PM   #229
joedoh

I fixed the broken trace on the back of the gauge cluster and still had no brake lights. then I remembered that the only thing I took out when I moved the PCM inside was what I thought was the heater relays on the firewall. plugged one back in and viola! brake lights.

I got the cluster all sealed up where I cut it and it fit great so I thought I would do a fit of the dash with it attached in case I wasnt able to get it in once the dash was installed. I had to move the fusebox, it was 100% visible wires and all with the dash in. putting the dash in was the single most frustrating thing, it had fit great every time till today, I ended up needing to take the column loose to get it even halfway in.

IMG_9863 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9870 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

you can see the cowl vent was open after I got the bracket bolted down and the fricking thing would not budge. you also can see I chopped the end off the wiper stalk, it didnt switch high/low beams because it hit the steering wheel. easy peasy though, just shave down the cut piece and glue it back on.

IMG_9867 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9868 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the drivers side dash bracket was broken off (somewhere in history) so making a new one was only half the job, I also had to dig the broken one off the dash

IMG_9869 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9873 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

that kind of sums up working on old stuff. if you arent drilling it off or cutting it off, its probably because it was rusted off.

the handle still wouldnt let me close the cowl vent so instead of disassembling it again I used a jack to keep the dash part of the vent handle from bending the mount and whacked the ever living snot out of the handle till it finally freed up and closed the cowl vent. it was at this point the previously temporary gauge install fell out and I realized the cluster would come out through the dash like I had hoped. good to know.

IMG_9876 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9874 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

got all the various brackets and switches installed.

IMG_9877 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

then I realized the windshield crank didnt fit in the hole because the dash was installed a 1/4" to far to the passenger side. so I took the whole dash loose again and repeated my minstrations.

IMG_9878 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

did this at some point. hope it buffs out because I am not painting it again. I guess unless it doesnt buff out.

IMG_9879 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

to end the day on a high note, I decided the oem s10 shift lever and boot were ugly. I dug around and found an old hurst boot, a couple metric nuts, and the original shift lever from the 41.

54916861698__3B94E67D-5E08-4D56-A4DD-23F0D34094C8.JPG by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the little rod connected to the reverse flipper I will weld a tube to the shift lever so you can fiddle with it non stop while driving.

tomorrow seat and bed. unless something else wants to poke me in the rear end.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:37 AM   #230
Nut Case

JD

Your problem solving is off the charts, and fast. Strong work, thanks for sharing. I've copied many a procedure for my use.

Keep on keepin on

NC

Old 05-28-2018, 01:10 PM   #231
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Glad I found you latest project. Somehow I got lost, as usual. Another one looking good. Are there any S10s left in your area of Kansas?

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:17 PM   #232
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Glad I found you latest project. Somehow I got lost, as usual. Another one looking good. Are there any S10s left in your area of Kansas?

there might be one or two. actually I know where the NEXT next one is already.

I didnt get squat done today between barbeques. well except the electric fan wiring and the hood install. and I cut these guys from some kydex, the kick panels. they are super cheap at bowtie bits but I have all this kydex.

the method I used is to cut a rough pattern from cardboard, then estimate the where to add material when tracing the patten from kydex. then trace your favorite state. for the drivers side I drew califordaho and for the passenger side I drew nevadtucky.

IMG_9880 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9881 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

tomorrow maybe I will stick the seat in and try driving it around a while, maybe make the 90 mile trek to see the 90 year old guy I bought the truck from.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:53 AM   #233
OutlawDrifter

I like the custom door stop!

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:56 PM   #234
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter View Post
I like the custom door stop!

the door check works (I fixed it a couple pages ago) but every time you bump the door, it closes. leaning in to do under dash work is tough enough getting past the running boards and laying your tender sides on top of the seat mount bolts (what was I thinking there?!?) without having the door closing on you

says I, as I finish a big breakfast sitting by the picture window at 11am having done no work real or truck or otherwise. so much for the plans!

Old 05-29-2018, 10:23 PM   #235
joedoh

interior 90%, windows go up and down, doors open and close, HVAC works, glovebox door installed, even the little relocated ashtray light lights up the HVAC controls and the ashtray. need handles (screws really, machine threads I dont have enough) and the windshield trims and a couple other knick knacks. sat behind the wheel and its a small truck but comparatively speaking I am a big human. less than jabba, more than solo. but I fit, and shifting isnt awkward at all.

IMG_9885-1 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I installed the hood yesterday after testing the fan (it works!).

IMG_9884-1 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I didnt get to go for the big drive because we had random rain showers. maybe saturday.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #236
Advanced Design

Coming together really nice...and fast!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #237
joedoh

thanks doug. I am happy the punch list isnt gaining length the more I get done. really all I need is some spray bomb on the bottom of the frame, fix all the splits in the lower front fenders, front bumper or maybe just build the apron on this one, figure out why the speedo stopped working, a few zip ties and some split loom, rear fender braces, and a couple pieces inside.

I pushed it out to clean the garage which is super trashed from working on 17 different things at once.

IMG_9889 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

and then I actually thought, well, its hot as the devils butt out here, should I just drive it around and test the fan? so I did. it warmed up normal and I watched the thermostat open by the gauge, and at 210 (just middle of the gauge) the fan turned on, ran a minute or two and turned off. super great, you might remember that I chose a 210-195 fan switch. the inner fenders are still loose from changing the plugs so I need to tie them up, and the clutch needs bled badly. but I let it rest outside in the sun for a while.

IMG_9891 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9900 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9904 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9905 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the DRLs work. I love this look on old trucks, makes the headlights just glow kind of old-timey. you can see the fender and apron work I have ahead. you can also see how much different the curve is on the passenger side fender. drives me crazy!
IMG_9896 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

debated on this a while. finally decided that the big potential leak wasnt worth it since the windshield crank out works well. its 100% silicone so it shouldnt turn white (shouldnt) and will be easy to remove if the cowl vent is ever needed.

IMG_9899 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I am picking up the bed wood this afternoon and will be working on it till it is supposed to rain again.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:11 PM   #238
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Very Nice!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:55 PM   #239
OutlawDrifter

Looking good. I once sealed up the side vent windows in a square because I got tired of wind noise, even after a complete rebuild with recommended parts....

Old 06-01-2018, 08:38 AM   #240
LT7A

Speaking of Squares, that's where I usually hang out on this forum. But found this thread, and really enjoyed it. You build a solid rig, and you build fast. Thanks for taking the time to share it.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:48 PM   #241
joedoh

hey thanks for stopping LT7A!

outlaw it broke me to do it, they make a gasket for the vent that drops in (and doesnt work), and I have the drain hooked up. but its a real issue, even the AD cowl vent doesnt just pour water in like these do.

Bill glad you found me again, maybe I will send you a link when I start this 49.

did some little stuff, rad overflow, new clutch bushing and new clutch/brake pedals, I picked up a pleather shifter boot too. too hot outside to cut wood right now, the retaining walls and concrete driveway work like a refractory oven for the setting sun, so I need to get out there EARLY. maybe tomorrow morning.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:36 PM   #242
OutlawDrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
...and new clutch/brake pedals...
Fastest way to spruce up an old interior. It amazes me how many used vehicles I've bought with worn out brake and clutch pedals. Easy sub $10 fix that makes them look "NEW".

Old 06-03-2018, 05:50 PM   #243
paintman

Joe, where did you end up getting your tires? Also , what size are they? I am getting ready to pop on a set for my jalopy.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:50 PM   #244
joedoh

cokers from jegs, I went smaller on this truck with 205/65/15 fronts and 215/75/15 rears.

almost done inside, just need to make the carpet edge strips, I ran out of bed strips so I need something else. got the new boot mounted, and the light switch mounted.
IMG_9952 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

did the bed wood, some of the strips were rusted short, so I will fix that. maybe. I will seal the wood tomorrow.
IMG_9953 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

took about a 10 mile jaunt with some fresh gas, the speedo whacked back to reading correctly when I got to about 40mph. running better and better and better, it hauls ass with the 5 spd and the clutch slave is bled with fresh fluid, works great now. no issues, airflow is enough to keep the truck under the middle of the gauge at speed, and the cooling fan only kicked on when I was idling at the gas station.

IMG_9954 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

lights all work perfect
IMG_9955 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

mrs joedoh wanted a turn so I turned over the keys. she loves driving these trucks, and she is pretty picky. her only complaint was the loose grille bashing noisily but I will fix that first thing.

IMG_9959 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

tomorrow I clean the shop stem to stern and will whack out the lower valance and the carpet edges. maybe go for a long drive to see wayne!

Old 06-04-2018, 11:51 PM   #245
joedoh

cleaned the garage top to bottom today, you would not believe the clutter. had some help from the kittens who pushed various fluffs and screws around, till I dropped the broom and they skedaddled. then the border collie came down and gave me a stern look for scaring his flock.

looking for the seat bolts and the special VIN tag screws and found the gol-darn key to the door! what are the chances?
IMG_9968 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

guess I need to switch sides with the handles and this truck will lock. I found the seat bolts and special screws too.

the lower valance missing, and since I dont want to run a bumper I need to make one. its curved six ways to sunday though and the grille in the truck is hardly something I could pattern from. thankfully I had a good shape grille on the shelf. I used a piece of cardboard to make the flat pieces, being sure to leave tabs and other parts I would otherwise need to attach later, and making sure to leave the centers long for fitting. I used a piece of 2.5 exhaust clamped to the table to make the curves, then clamped and trimmed and welded the two pieces together. was that 1000 words yet? heres the pictures.

IMG_9966 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9970 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9971 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9972 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9973 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9975 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

stopped because the beeps went to bed. I will pop it on in the morning.

I am thinking the rear needs to come down a couple inches, maybe I will stick on a set of 2" blocks I have on the shelf. maybe the de arched leafs havent drooped all the way yet though.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:52 PM   #246
docrock

what a great looking truck. I may have to start another project

1942 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429494

R.I.P. TOM SEFFRON 68 FOUR DOOR http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=495438

1942 Chevy that ate my brain 70 Chassis https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=835250
docrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #247
joedoh

thanks doc!

here is the almost finished part
IMG_9976 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

unfortunately, it fit the perfect grille perfectly, it fit the banged up grille and tweaked fenders like poo poo. I did some grille repair, replaced the "missing tooth" for structural reasons. I intended to screw it in, but tacks made more sense. I didnt bash around on it to make it fit better because it was a bit of a dumpster fire trying to get everything lined up. I am not cut out for bodywork and even if I was, the term "diminishing returns" gets bandied about a lot and at least that term fits perfect.

IMG_9977 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9978 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9979 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

it DID put some curve back in the front end, so there is that. the fenders used to look flattened and there was no real peak to the grille, but there is now.

IMG_9980 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

washed her up

IMG_9985 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

and moved her outside.

IMG_0011 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

there are little things to finish but I think I would like some time with an empty garage haha. I did get to test the cooling system, it was 94 with 60% humidity (so like 104?) and the temp gauge never went over 210. the fan only came on when I was on the dirt road going 2mph to keep the dirt from sticking to the tires. I got it up on the highway and it was wonderful with the open windshield and the glasspacks barking.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:41 PM   #248
Old57

Nice, I bet it feels good to be able to go for a drive! Looking good
Old 06-10-2018, 10:55 PM   #249
joedoh

I have been driving the wheels off of this thing. the current humidity and the vinyl seat make it a back sweater machine, but cruising with the windshield open is pleasant, as long as you are moving. I did about a hundred miles yesterday and another couple hundred today. want to make sure it gets a thorough shakedown. The steering wheel is a little crooked, I will adjust the tie rods. also the horn doesnt beep, cant figure it out, if I ground the wire it beeps. something is up with the horn button. oh here is a funny one, I thought I shaved the bumpstop on the drivers side, nope. I am going to do that work and bleed the clutch, doing a little research I found its easy to get air in the line and almost impossible to bleed, so I found a how-to on reverse bleeding (forcing fluid UP to the master to get rid of the air)

here it is after yesterdays jaunt making sure the overflow works. (it does! purged the air while driving and drank half the overflow cooling back down) it was 97 today with insane humidity and it never crossed half on the temp gauge, even stopped at the longest stoplights. woop woop.

IMG_0055 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

here is some of the other work I did, carpet edge strips (these trucks didnt come with them, I repurposed some door seal strips), kydex glovebox, the gauge trims, battery hold down.

55037210967__B4CC4B1C-F243-4304-8B15-74B9ADEBF5F2 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0060 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0056 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0058 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I ALSO built the rear fender braces, and put on a second tailgate hook. its so crazy quiet now.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #250
OutlawDrifter

You are killing it! I thought you had AC in this one too...? Or does the knee freezer not stop the back sweat?