The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2017, 12:43 AM   #1
Originalthor

68 chevy long bed step side worth factory restoring

Good evening. Just a quick question. is it worth it? I have the original 307 motor and trani. Interior is gone due to mice. And it was a write off due to just a blown motor and rusted cab corners. Kicker is the cab roof is rusty on the inside panel and just above the top of the doors. Bottom half is the usual and have had to fix ones in worst shape.

My plan was to short box fleet side it and make it handle but cause it was writing off it has to be factory restored to pass 2 inspections. So no cutting of frame for me but I do have another truck I can carve up and put this one away until I get what I want built. Or am I just wasting my time and just part it out. Time for pictures thanks.

Which is not working on my phone so will post them up in a few gotta upload them
Attached Images

Last edited by Originalthor; 10-27-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Originalthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:00 AM   #2
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Re: 68 chevy long bed step side worth factory restoring

Hi and welcome to the site. I too am in Saskatoon and have ben on this site since 2003. Send me a private message if you want to meet sometime and talk trucks. I think a long box stepside unless you really like it and plan on keeping it forever is not a good candidate to sink a lot of money into for a restoration.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" 4 Things When Used are Gone Forever "

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:05 AM   #3
Yotapane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalthor View Post
Good evening. Just a quick question. is it worth it? I have the original 307 motor and trani. Interior is gone due to mice. And it was a write off due to just a blown motor and rusted cab corners. Kicker is the cab roof is rusty on the inside panel and just above the top of the doors. Bottom half is the usual and have had to fix ones in worst shape.

My plan was to short box fleet side it and make it handle but cause it was writing off it has to be factory restored to pass 2 inspections. So no cutting of frame for me but I do have another truck I can carve up and put this one away until I get what I want built. Or am I just wasting my time and just part it out. Time for pictures thanks.

Which is not working on my phone so will post them up in a few gotta upload them
Would it pass the inspections if you only repaired the rust, brakes, lights ect.., I'm sure you could bring the truuck up to spec without a full blown nut and bolt restoration, then build what you want with it? If it's a value question a 307 lwb stepside with lots of rust and salvage title is already genetically destined to be parted out.... if you love the truck yuou should build it but don't let other people's opinions get in your way.
Yotapane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:10 AM   #4
Originalthor

hmm one drive doesn't seem to work on posting links to pictures. photo bucket it is. Give me a few more mins

Don't really like the step sides for sure. And had 4 lwb so want to go swb for some fun. my last one was a c30 grain truck converted to a work truck which was slow and heavy. (white with fancy new pressure treated box on it maybe you've seen it already gone)
Old 10-27-2017, 01:22 AM   #5
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalthor View Post
hmm one drive doesn't seem to work on posting links to pictures. photo bucket it is. Give me a few more mins

Don't really like the step sides for sure. And had 4 lwb so want to go swb for some fun. my last one was a c30 grain truck converted to a work truck which was slow and heavy. (white with fancy new pressure treated box on it maybe you've seen it already gone)
Don't think I've seen it.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

Old 10-27-2017, 01:37 AM   #6
Originalthor

Whats a good site to upload pictures on cause photobucket is a joke now to many adds. Its been a while since ive been on the forums.

And it would need a full resto job been sitting since 93 motor seized. it has no brakes cause I had to beat them off to get it to move. Just wonder if its worth something more restored matching numbers and all. I got two other trucks to carve up and play with its just this frame is in my garage now.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:03 AM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I use imgur. Also, you can load pics directly from your hard drive to this site, which would be preferred, because they live here and won't be held hostage at the whim of a hosting site.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
trac209

I don’t see why a longstep isn’t worth a factory restoration. Even if you didn’t like it it’s just a bed swap away from being a regular long bed truck. I have a long step and it’s gets plenty of positive attention and it’s not even close to restored. Building for resale is kind of a misnomer as you never get what you put it I don’t care if it’s a short box well optioned truck. My advise is build what you want not what you think will sell unless resale is your only concern then I say don’t put a dime into it other than cleaning it up and selling as is. It’s really the only way to be certain you get what you payed or a bit more. My two cents
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #9
Coley

Welcome to the site...and from another Canuck.
Personally.....I have to agree with 'Already Gone' (G) and I too would keep that truck as a parts truck only...not a restoration candidate.

I my opinion, you are better off....to source a more solid, intact and complete southern truck or one from the Western U.S.
In terms of 'bang for buck' they are good bets...
On the other hand, I have seen a lot of pretty solid (Canadian) prairie trucks in the past as well.....although maybe not that one.
The deal breaker for me would be that roof.....a rusty roof means a massive amount of welding and bodywork, etc (and cost) is coming your way.

Regardless.....welcome to the site and keep us posted!

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #10
'68OrangeSunshine

There's a guy in Kuwait who just rebuilt his '69 lwb fleet by changing it out to a long stepside. Quite a build. Looked new again.
He had no rust to begin with, though.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #11
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Hi and welcome to the site. I too am in Saskatoon and have ben on this site since 2003. Send me a private message if you want to meet sometime and talk trucks. I think a long box stepside unless you really like it and plan on keeping it forever is not a good candidate to sink a lot of money into for a restoration.
Now that I see the pictures I really do not think it'd be worth your while to restore the truck.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #12
In The Ten Ring

Lacking the ability or space to do my own welding, I would stay away from anything with so much cab roof rust. However, you seem to have such skills and space.

I personally prefer long wheelbase stepsides and wish my factory SWB was the longer version.

If money is your primary concern: find another truck.

If money is not your primary concern, then work on this one. Saving something from a junkyard must have its own special reward.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:47 AM   #13
Originalthor

Thanks for the input. The roof rust was a big kick in the nut when I found it in the garage. I didn't even look up to tell you the truth. It had the grill style I wanted and was looking at what all needed to be done to the bottom half which is decent shape. The usual stuff cab corners, cab supports, drivers side floor cause the guy that took the fender stuck the hood hing through the vent window. Shoot the inside rockers are not even rusted out, outsides have less holes them then my 03 gm. But would all be replaced.

It was another kick when I checked the vin to find out it was a write off and needs full inspection and a frame integrity inspection. It was my father inlaws truck and the only reason it was wrote off was because it was stolen and they blew up the 396 in at the time. And had cab corners rusted out.

Not the end of the world I got 2 more trucks out there so hoping the green cab is good with a good vin.

So back to plan A.
Use frame I got in the garage it nice and straight
use the green cab if it doesn't have roof rust.
fleets from the brown truck
make it handle (great reads)
Ls and standard or at( debating on this one. I love my SBC 327)
Oh yeah and short box it. (Drive a 03 quad cab duramax so its trippy to drive for the first time.)
And take a couple of years to do it. Three kids and full time job don't leave to much play time for me. 9 pm to 12 pm.

Thanks again for the advice all and glad to be back on the forums. Totally forgot about the upload pics to the site.
Attached Images