The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #26
Da88burban
GM's 4 Life

Re: Suburban to Crew Cab Conversion- Possible?

Whats the difference with the Avalanches? All they are is a burb with the roof cut off and more support put back. I mean if you could graft a back of a pickup on the burb you should be able to weld on more support.

'54 Chevy 3100 "Just a Mess"
'74 Chevy Super 10 468BB "One Fast Rust Bucket"
'86 Pontiac Fiero GT
'88 Chevy burb "Tha Big Turd"
'93 GMC Safari "Bone Crusher"

.................____________
.............../______l___|___\____
;,;,;,;,;,;,;|__(O)_| __l___l__(O) |
Da88burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #27
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

havn't looked to close but is there is a seperation from the cab to the bed?
does the rear A frame actually support it ?that plastic area behind the cab
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #28
Vic's 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edahall View Post
These Suburban conversions look visually odd. The rear axle needs to be moved back.
I am actully looking forward to creating an Avalanche out of my 87 Burban. I do however agree with Edahall, these conversions do look odd, but I believe its due the the tail end being to short or too long. I plan to have my rear end match the size of a short bed starting at the wheel housing.
Vic's 1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #29
iluvmy72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic's 1987 View Post
I am actully looking forward to creating an Avalanche out of my 87 Burban. I do however agree with Edahall, these conversions do look odd, but I believe its due the the tail end being to short or too long. I plan to have my rear end match the size of a short bed starting at the wheel housing.
I'm confused on the whole thing in general. An Avalanche is a optional changing vehicle that goes from truck to SUV and back. Are you going to attempt this using a blazer top? Or is it a straight cut and weld up with the former rear interior now exposed like others in the pictures? It might be easier to use the frame of a suburban, remove everything from fenders back and mount a 4 door cab with a shortbed onto it. With good measuring it would probably fit perfectly.
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #30
TheApocalyptican

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmy72 View Post
I'm confused on the whole thing in general. An Avalanche is a optional changing vehicle that goes from truck to SUV and back. Are you going to attempt this using a blazer top? Or is it a straight cut and weld up with the former rear interior now exposed like others in the pictures? It might be easier to use the frame of a suburban, remove everything from fenders back and mount a 4 door cab with a shortbed onto it. With good measuring it would probably fit perfectly.
If you already have a suburban and the ability, then it's probably cheaper to cut and weld. But, IMO, the reason for doing this would be to have a crew cab with more room behind the rear seat. I've thought about doing this, but I would want it to be like the actual Avalanche, and be able to open up the mid area, or close it up and have a crew. But, that results in a much more complicated job.

Last edited by TheApocalyptican; 06-25-2011 at 10:58 PM.
TheApocalyptican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #31
Vic's 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheApocalyptican View Post
If you already have a suburban and the ability, then it's probably cheaper to cut and weld. But, IMO, the reason for doing this would be to have a crew cab with more room behind the rear seat. I've thought about doing this, but I would want it to be like the actual Avalanche, and be able to open up the mid area, or close it up and have a crew. But, that results in a much more complicated job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmy72 View Post
This is something I have been toying with for about three years now. I have a Suburban running good and I have a C10 gutted out. I plan to combined the two.
Attached Images

Last edited by Vic's 1987; 06-26-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: correction
Vic's 1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #32
TopazK20

I have a K20 PU. Would it be possible to change from a regular cab to a crew cab? Of course I would need to change out the reg cab mounts to the crew cab.
TopazK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #33
IHguy

heres what i did, I wanted a diesel avalanch.... so I improvised and its still an ongoing project but i love it. I had an 83 diesel burban i beat the hell outa till i cracked a head then i cut the rear of a cab off my grandpas old truck before it went to the junkyard and welded it in. found some bedsides and chopped the bed rails off them i for the rails and matched the tailgate. I wish i could redo things now since my fab skills have increased significantly but its a big learning experiance and what better to learn on than your $750 burban that dont owe u anything lol. Its got a 6.5 turbo diesel and nv4500 tranny out of a 93 chevy. Im planning on running the 14 bolt rear from that truck and a ford dana 60 front to match the transfer case. She aint pretty but when i get done hopefully it will be! Glad I finally found a great site with so much information!!!!

83 Suburban/Avalanch project 6.5 turbo diesel nv4500
IHguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #34
tallcrown

What did you do to the center of the roof? I thought you just added a back to the cab and I see the Center section cut out too.
Thanks
tallcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #35
JAA

What do you do about the overhang at the back. Looks odd to me. But I like the concept.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #36
tallcrown

If it were mine. The Overhang is there and would stay there. Most people with a vehicle like this only haul a cooler etc or some furnature. No real weight anyway. Think about it. If you put too much weight i the back you chance breaking the body. There is a reason pickup truck have a separate box on them.This project looks great to me.
tallcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #37
IHguy

The center of the roof has a bubble on it from the factory so I cut it down to match the rest of the roof. I would have done a lot differently now but its my first big body project Ive ever tried. But what better to try it on than on a $500 suburban I have had $5,000,000 of fun in then the 6.2 cracked a head so chop time it was lol. I dont see how the body will crack from taking the back off, maybe but the bed is attached to the frame all the way to the bumper so I guess if the frame would move that much you could have issues... I stringed the corners of the cab after I got the rear part of a cab welded in and the cab itself doesnt have much movement if any I would worry about when I flexed the suspention in a ditch.

I just bough a decked out newer avalanch and I am hoping to get this thing finnally road worthy for winter to save my 08 from the wisconsin salt. So hopefully Ill get a thread started sometime if I get back on this project

Old 09-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #38
str8axle55

IHguy, I think you did a great job on the Burb. I like how you pancaked the roof, and the bed rails.
str8axle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #39
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

IHguy, looks good. How did you handle the tailgate?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #40
IHguy

I used a piece leftover from the side of the bedside i got the rails from. And cut the tailgate down and matched it up to the rest of the truck and burned it in.

I will try to make a build thread when I get time to work on it agian. Waiting for a ford fron axle since its got 1993 drivetrain and I need a driverside diff axle. And paint... But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel if I can just get time to finish it.

Thanks for the compliments!

Old 04-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #41
yosemitesamiam

OK...so found this thread while trolling another forum...but wouldn't something like this be a whole lot easier? I have a RC and would like to fit a crew box on the truck I have....rather than selling/trading for something else.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...b-t294660.html

Could I do something similar and find a good 4 door cab to bolt down?

Anyone with a crew cab who has had the cab off....could you provide specs/measurements for the distance between mounts, etc?

Thanks all! PM me if this goes too far off topic and you would rather than change subject! This was just about as close to what I was looking for though!

Last edited by yosemitesamiam; 04-09-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: adding a sentence to bottom.
yosemitesamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:05 PM   #42
DannyO

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=682943&page=3 Sorry to bring up a dead thread but I started doing what the original question was.
Posted via Mobile Device
DannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #43
Front Range

Threads never die, they just hibernate.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #44
buffydores

That's a fun looking truck.
buffydores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #45
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffydores View Post
That's a fun looking truck.
If you were to section out 10-12" between the rear wheels and bumper and convert the tailgate to C10 style it would really rock. IMHO.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote