The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
skyreep1

Question Project "El Capitan"

Okay so first background on the truck. Its a 1971 C-10 307 2bbl 1/2ton. Stock it has light red (514) paint. My dad purchased this truck with 60,000 miles, in near perfect condition. About 1 year after purchasing he noticed the rusted cab corner, passenger fender lowers, and door skins/inners. The shade tree mechanic he took it to ended up doing a tear down, blacked out the sides of the frame, and since then it has sat for 2 years. In pieces. Finally I'm almost 17 and tired of waiting to get my baby. I had the title signed over in my name and intend on doing a complete frame up restoration for my senior graduation project. Due in 10 months. Here is where the problems arise. I have no job so therefore all of the funds to do this build will have to be contributed via local businesses and parents. This puts me at a strict and unknown budget. Especially since I live in Mayberry (yes the town from the show), NC.

Now on to the build! First of all I have NO engine knowledge when it comes to specifics. A good example is that before a couple days ago I had no idea what the differences were between the manifolds and the exhaust manifold. So have no fear... there will be plenty of questions.

Last Sunday me and 2 buddies spent 9 hours piecing "El Capitan" back together so I could throw it on a roll back and have it towed back home ($45... first cost of the build... not the last). I will have to wait until tomorrow to go take pictures as its 40 degrees and raining cats, dogs... and the occasional bunny rabbit.

So far the first problem I've run into is the fact that it'll turn over but she wont crank. Took out the #1 plug... no fire. So I'm guessing I need to replace: plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, coil, lead, points, new fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, and carb rebuild (rochester 2bbl).
Do I have it covered?

Okay so now what I know is wrong with the body; Surface rust on frame, surface rust on bed (partially repaired), rusted cab corner (have replacement), something inside of cab corner thats rusted through... guessing inner rocker?, door skins, door inners, passenger inner fender, and rusty bolts galore.

I also believe I'm going to use the KBS frame restoration kit. Includes: cleaner, rust remover, and frame paint. Good idea? I'm feelin gloss black. ($55)

Now.. ON TO THE QUESTIONS!
(Tell me anything I haven't considered in my planning)

Q. If I'm going to be taking everything off anyway, what do I need to do to whats on the frame? New bushings (if so which ones?)?, New brake lines (or can I just use steel wool and paint)? Brake cables? Fuel lines (have surface rust but no holes)? HD shocks?

Q. What's the best way to clean up rusted bolts? Some of my bed bolts, fender bolts, etc are covered with rust.

Q. Paint job... I've settled on stock chevy orange engine enamel, and everything else (except certain engine parts and cab roof) should be stock (514) light red. Or at least something similar. Cab roof is white. My question is... What inexpensive and good looking paint solutions do I have? I want to be able to go back in a few years, hit it with a DEA, and have it professionally done, but for now I need something cheap and fair looking. Maybe a rustoleum style paint job? I think it was msgrossman who had his truck done in blue rustoleum with metal flake... Looked great!. Something like that would be nice but I need specifics. What paint and how would I go about doing it? two coats of primer, followed by two coats of rustoleum followed by gloss coat? Rattle can? HVLP gun? Roll on? I need lots of info on this. I have the capability to sandblast most of the parts or at least hit them with a wire wheel.

Q. Aww screw this, I think I've asked you guys enough questions for now. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by skyreep1; 10-14-2009 at 10:40 PM.
skyreep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
skyreep1

Re: Project "El Capitan"

Okay bed.. night yall!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
OARNGESI

Sounds like a nice project are you a opm fan
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
skyreep1

lol yeah I like opm but that's not why I named the truck that lol. I just thought it was cool to call it "the captain".