The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2004, 10:36 AM   #1
dswancutt

Speedometer Cable Lube

What is the best lube for the speedometer. I have tried Lithium spray, but it did not work well.

Thanks

Doug
dswancutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:02 AM   #2
corn

Go buy a small TUB of Lithium grease. Its all Ive ever used...corn
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 12:25 PM   #3
bagged81
Signals in the bumper.

I have been told to use liquid graphite.
1936 Ford Pickup - Frame-off in progress link
1979 Chevrolet Camper Special Flatbed link
bagged81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:01 PM   #4
Zilverado
Account Suspended

I'm going for memory here (I'm not in my garage ), but I believe the stuff in my tool chest is called "Cable-ease", or something like that. It is black and comes in a small blue tube. I'm pretty sure it is a liquid graphite product. I've had good success with it on a number of vehicles.

Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 02:34 PM   #5
76sierraclassic

Liquid Graphite!!!

Liquid graphite is definitely the way to go. I picked up a small tube of it at O'Reilly's for just a few dollars. It's label even says "Speedometer Cable Lube". It was actually in the section of the store where the "Help!" products are. The tube is small enough and shaped to where all you have to do is pull your speedometer, stick the tube in the hole in the back where the cable comes out, and start squirting.

It's really thin stuff, and will go everywhere if you're not careful. It also stains pretty bad and is hard to get out if it gets on something you don't want it on.

Mike W.
76sierraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 10:26 PM   #6
dswancutt

Speedometer Cable Lube

Guys;

I just got done replacing my cable and I lubed it with the speedometer cable lube and it works great, no more bouncing speedometer. I also discovered that you can adjust the speedometer. There is a ratched arm attached to the coil spring on the speedometer that adjusts the tension. I am now only 3 miles an hour fast instead of 16.

Thanks again

Doug
Old 05-19-2004, 10:37 PM   #7
NeCrOmAnCeR

I don't believe that adjusting the spring tension will have any effect on the odometer reading though. But for preventing the "fun police" from ruining you day it should work great.
NeCrOmAnCeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 10:54 PM   #8
dswancutt

Speedometer Cable Lube

NeCrOmAnCer;

The tension spring I think, controls only the speedometer needle and is independent of the odometer. But hell, the truck is just about to turn 256,000 miles so mileage at this point is pretty much irrelevent.

Doug
Old 05-20-2004, 01:36 PM   #9
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswancutt
...There is a ratched arm attached to the coil spring on the speedometer that adjusts the tension. I am now only 3 miles an hour fast instead of 16.

Thanks again

Doug
Sorry for the stupid question, but I've never heard of this before. Does this allow you simiply to adjust the "zeroing" of the speedo, or is it effecting how it shows the speed? If so, how accurate is that? Should this not rather be done with the proper speedo head gears at the tranny???

Just curious

Old 05-20-2004, 02:19 PM   #10
dswancutt

Speedometer cable lube

Zilverado;

I have changed all the gears in the transmission to what the parts manual says I should have for my gear ratio & tire size, but I was still 15+ mph fast on the speedometer to what I was actually doing. The adjustment on the speedometer I think is how the factory callibrates the speedometer. I think somewhere along the line, someone has changed either the axles or the gears on my truck. I was tired of having the speedometer so far off and this puts me only about 3 mph fast, and I can live with that. One day I will open up the differential and find out what my gear ratio actually is and then put the correct speedometer gears and adaptor in. But in truth, your way would be the correct way of fixing my problem.

Doug
Old 05-20-2004, 02:25 PM   #11
dswancutt

Zilverado

Zilverado;

Sorry, I didn't read your question carefully enough and didn't completely answer your question. Adjusting the tension on the spring increases or decreases the resistance the speedometer needle faces. I hope this is some what clearer.

Doug
Old 05-20-2004, 02:28 PM   #12
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Interesting....

Thanks Doug. Just goes to show, we can learn something new every day.

Old 05-21-2004, 09:09 PM   #13
85Silverado

hmmm...i think i need some of that cable lube stuff....i checked my speedo cable for kinks or what not but didn't find any. i got about a 40mph jump after 30mph and gets bigger the faster i go...lol

'78 C20 Scottsdale
350ci
3 speed with granny gear
14 bolt rearend

My trucks are "Car-Guy safe".......which pretty much means death trap in the hands of a normal civilian.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 10:17 PM   #14
dswancutt

Speedometer Cable Lube

Paul;

The lube is great stuff, but first I would put the cable out of the housing and check it for gunk, frays, & rust first. The cable I replaced was about a year old but I did not lube it when I installed it and it rusted. I tried all sorts of different lubes and it would work about a week then start making noise. It then developed a case of the bouncey's that started at about 50 mph. I first it only did it when it was cold and would go away after about 15 miles, but last weekend it started doing it all the time, so I had to replace the cable. I thought I would let you know that lubing the cable may or may not solve your problem.

Doug
Old 05-21-2004, 10:23 PM   #15
dswancutt

Speedometer Cable Lube

Paul;

I've got to start reading these post more closely. Hopefully your speedometer isn't bad. I'm on my third one. The one thing I've found out is if the needle jumps when you hit a bump, the speedometer is probably the culprit. Hope the lube works out for you. Oh, and 76sierraclassic is right, the lube is thin and will make a mess if you are not carefull.

Doug