The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2016, 05:02 PM   #1
LBJ

2004 Silverado 1500 4x4 Brakes

After 85K miles since brand new, I finally got around to seeing how much is left on the front brake pads. To my surprise I still have 1/4" on the inner and outer pads! Rotors look almost brand new with a thin ridge on the very edge. No warning/alert sensors have sounded.

Now, how many MORE miles does 1/4" pads equate to? It should go without mention I don't drive the truck hard at all, considering I have 85K miles in 12 years (7K miles a year) and a fair amount of brakes left. I was thinking 10K miles at least. Not trying to save money or that I'm cheap, but gauging when the brakes REALLY need refreshing.

But, I may go ahead and do it now before it gets miserably cold. Ha

Thanks, LBJ
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:15 PM   #2
Flying Hamster

Re: 2004 Silverado 1500 4x4 Brakes

Does it even get miserably cold in Texas???
I never saw John Wayne wearing a coat...

Do it BEFORE it's a crisis, as preventative maintenance.
Flying Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:45 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

IMO the last 1/8" or so is where the rivet might start getting close, since some pads are riveted, others are "glued" onto the backing. The rivets stick into the pad material a bit, so you might not actually have a 1/4" to use.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
LBJ

Hamster, it only gets really cold in Texas when you have to work on your car or truck! ha.

BR3W City, since I am retired, I can always pull the '77 out and the '04 into the garage away from any cold wind and do the brakes, so, not likely facing an emergency situation. I'm gonna do it, just gotta order the parts and have them on hand, first. Just fun to speculate how long they would last like they sit.

Thanks for the replies, guys!
Old 11-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #5
68c10airstream

As i get older i look at repairs differently now. My dad had a saying "if someone relies on you, you have to take care of number 1". Getting the last out of your brakes is like getting the last out of your tires! The longer you wait the more it will cost you (stuck caliper, thrown pad and no brakes for a while, blown tire and a tow bill with a rusted and frozen spare tire holder assembly with a broken cable from trying to crank it down).

Right now you have options and it's safer to plan on it now and do it now! Good luck
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #6
LBJ

As of yesterday afternoon, one of my "neighbors" rear-ended me coming home from the grocery store. Now, the next big thing is getting that damage repaired. 12 years and 85K miles, and no accidents till now. This guy must have been on the phone or texting because he was clearly NOT watching in front of his truck. Got my tailgate, bumper, part of the tow hitch, right tail light lens, some lower sheet metal, and who knows what else under the truck got push out of shape. Sheesh!

I looked up some new pads on Rock Auto for the front brakes. They showed the new pads were 0.220" thick. Now, that's about what I have left on the factory pads. That and the small amount of wear on the rotor is strange. Hmmm. Makes me wonder if the rear brakes are doing most of the braking? They might be the ones needing attention.