The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
72ArizonaBurb

Suggestions for replacing Suburban Headliner

I have a 72 Suburban and the head liner is shot. I would like any suggestions / pictures of how you guys did yours and what materials you used. Thanks.
72ArizonaBurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Re: Suggestions for replacing Suburban Headliner

Welcome to the board.

Let me shoot this thread over to the Suburban section to try and get you some help.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)

Last edited by 72BlckButy; 11-28-2010 at 11:34 PM.
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Several threads here on this in the burb section ... try a search, you will find some cool ideas.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:26 AM   #4
vectorit
What?

Welcome to the board!

Here is what I did for my burb headliner.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=410459

Not totally in love with it, but it's better than nothing. Still open to better ideas on material to use, but what I used worked pretty good.

Oh, and put up some pics of your burb! Us burb folks are even more nosey than the PU crowd, since there are not that many burbs on the road along with us burb lovers out there.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
HighlanderBrad

I used the shower surround material also. The brand I used was from Marvin's Building Materials. The brand at Lowe's was too stiff. This kind was easy to cut and bend. Could make real tight bends with heat if needed. I used the same material and made side panels. Used a product called "bull dog", an adhesion promoter and painted them. I used the original Suburban headliner ribs and edge rails. See what you think....

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...n/DSC07007.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...n/DSC07006.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...n/DSC07079.jpg
HighlanderBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
72ArizonaBurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlanderBrad View Post
I used the shower surround material also. The brand I used was from Marvin's Building Materials. The brand at Lowe's was too stiff. This kind was easy to cut and bend. Could make real tight bends with heat if needed. I used the same material and made side panels. Used a product called "bull dog", an adhesion promoter and painted them. I used the original Suburban headliner ribs and edge rails. See what you think....

WOW that looks great! Nice and clean it really pop's against that red paint. Thanks for the advice.

Keith
Old 11-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
72ArizonaBurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlanderBrad View Post

Thanks for the pics. Looks great!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
72ArizonaBurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
Welcome to the board.

Let me shoot this thread over to the Suburban section to try and get you some help.
Thanks for the help. I still learning my way around here.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #9
72ArizonaBurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
Welcome to the board!

Here is what I did for my burb headliner.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=410459

Not totally in love with it, but it's better than nothing. Still open to better ideas on material to use, but what I used worked pretty good.

Oh, and put up some pics of your burb! Us burb folks are even more nosey than the PU crowd, since there are not that many burbs on the road along with us burb lovers out there.
I have a long history with 71 and 72 model trucks and suburbans. About 15 years ago I did a complete frame off restoration of my Great Uncle's 72 Chevy Cheyenne. Then I bought 72 Suburban Ambulance and cut the roof off it and returned it to Suburban. Bought another 72 Ambulance and just drove it for while, then bought a 72 Short Bed and painted it. Realized one day that I had a ton of money tied up trucks that were so nice I was afraid to drive them. Sold them all got married, had kids and have not done a project in 13 years. I came across this rust free 72 Suburban with front and rear air, tilt and had to have it. Now I am back in full force, I took the front cap off, pulled all the air ride suspension, pulled the motor, gutted the interior, pulled all windows and regulators and am waiting on the parts to come in to put the suspension back to stock. I have some pictures of my old projects but not many. Digital camera's were just taking off so I didn't get many digital pictures. I will see if I can figure out how to post them. Thanks for asking. It's good to be back!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
ole red

Not to steal the post but highlander how did you do the side panels?
Old 11-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
HighlanderBrad

Ole Red....sent you a PM.
HighlanderBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #12
rsavage

I used original panels and crossbars that I bought off the parts board here. My Burb never had a headliner, so I needed the header front, rear, and side brackets. The old stuff is very brittle.
""
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
72ArizonaBurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
I used original panels and crossbars that I bought off the parts board here. My Burb never had a headliner, so I needed the header front, rear, and side brackets. The old stuff is very brittle.
""
Looks good. I'm going to try to doing the same thing.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
Mr. 250r

Here's mine although out of a 91' burban, but i had a guy down the road from my dads shop who's been doing interiors forever redo them, he used a spray glue i think and i picked the color of the material it was 40$ for both halves. just a thought ask some interior people if you can
Attached Images

Mr. 250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #15
72ArizonaBurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 250r View Post
Here's mine although out of a 91' burban, but i had a guy down the road from my dads shop who's been doing interiors forever redo them, he used a spray glue i think and i picked the color of the material it was 40$ for both halves. just a thought ask some interior people if you can
This looks great. I was wondering if the interior from a newer Suburban will fit. I'm going to check the junk yards and see if I can find one. Did you get the front half installed yet?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #16
Mr. 250r

im not sure if a newer one will fit mines held by a middle bar and the rest gets held in by the top trim and I haven't got the front in because I gotta scoot the back piece back and that's hard to do alone
Posted via Mobile Device
Mr. 250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #17
sub-purbs

I need to do the head liner on my 72 burb too. I see that all of you have a screw in the middle between each rib. What are you screwing in to? do you run strips of wood first?
sub-purbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #18
rsavage

The screw goes into the metal roof reinforcement cross bars. The metal headliner crossbars do not go in the same place as the roof reinforcement cross pieces. They are held up/hung by one screw on each end at the panel trim side piece above the side windows.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
sub-purbs

i see. that makes sense. thanks for the info. i need to find a set of ribs now.
sub-purbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #20
jeffg1010

Mine is made of Luan and covered with modern headliner fabric (available at any Joann fabrics for about 7 bucks a yard). It really quiets things down with fabric up there to absorb some sound.

By using the Luan (a form of panel board available at Lowes), you have a more solid surface to get custom with, meaning you can actually mount stuff in your headliner. I got rid of the front and rear (metal) rail supports and just use the two side rails to hold the headliner up. The Luan isnt flexible enough to make the shape bends, but it will hold its own radius with no problems. I asked a custom shop what they were building headliners out of and they gave me that idea as a very affordable option.

I built a overhead center console with a drop down section for my stereo unit. It also has LED dome lights and a 12.1" flip down TV/DVD combo.

Needless to say... I wasn't going for the "stock appearance".

But, this is my daily driver and I wanted it to be practical (I have 3 kids.)

Behind the 2nd row of seats, there is two 6x9 speakers built into the headliner, and at the rear doors, there is two 5 1/4" speakers built into the headliner.

All said and done, I have about $400 bucks in my headliner (including the flip down TV/DVD -$50 on ebay)

I need to take some better, more updated pics, I took these with my phone the day I was installing it in back over the summer. But, this gives you the idea.

1986 C30 Crewcab - 63K original miles, original paint

Members I have met: mikey531, gcburdic, bashed, burbman69, TonyPieras, Blazester, GCncsuHD, custombuilt67-72, tsnow678, highrpm, PanelDeland, tanman722001, 47thriftmaster, babyblueoval, 68stepbed, JesseWebb, Andy4639, xs-style, TobyArnot, BigOrange, frednoah, brn_agn, k5hart, Graham57a, bhelton, AJohn6, SilverC10, 69CST, '71 Flame, RaceAGMC, Liz, Josh, MattPSU, 68corvair, Chevy350V8, mdeal, ccrorymc, mrhurt73, dmxxpert, Custom68, 84GMC, BionicABs1, BigBlockBurris, Ebfabman, ATP...
jeffg1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #21
Grimpala

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg1010 View Post
Mine is made of Luan and covered with modern headliner fabric (available at any Joann fabrics for about 7 bucks a yard). It really quiets things down with fabric up there to absorb some sound.

By using the Luan (a form of panel board available at Lowes), you have a more solid surface to get custom with, meaning you can actually mount stuff in your headliner. I got rid of the front and rear (metal) rail supports and just use the two side rails to hold the headliner up. The Luan isnt flexible enough to make the shape bends, but it will hold its own radius with no problems. I asked a custom shop what they were building headliners out of and they gave me that idea as a very affordable option.

I built a overhead center console with a drop down section for my stereo unit. It also has LED dome lights and a 12.1" flip down TV/DVD combo.

Needless to say... I wasn't going for the "stock appearance".

But, this is my daily driver and I wanted it to be practical (I have 3 kids.)

Behind the 2nd row of seats, there is two 6x9 speakers built into the headliner, and at the rear doors, there is two 5 1/4" speakers built into the headliner.

All said and done, I have about $400 bucks in my headliner (including the flip down TV/DVD -$50 on ebay)

I need to take some better, more updated pics, I took these with my phone the day I was installing it in back over the summer. But, this gives you the idea.

Not to hijack, but what vehicle are those seats out of?
Grimpala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #22
cojnit
Nothing clever

looks like 2002-2009 suburban or tahoe seats with the integrated seatbelts.

The luan came out great. I would love to see more of these pics....
Old 02-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #23
68C10HotRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojnit View Post

Wish you had some pics of the building process & how it's mounted to the truck. That really looks nice & practical for a DD. Thanks for sharing.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” - Benjamin Franklin
"And those who know what's best for us, Must rise and save us from ourselves" - RUSH lyric (mockery)
68C10HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #24
Bigblueburban

Jeffg1010 that headliner is sick! I love it. I like that because it gives you a spot for speakers
Posted via Mobile Device
Bigblueburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:24 AM   #25
jeffg1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojnit View Post

Exactly right. Three rows of seats out of an '05 Suburban.
I will try to get better pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C10HotRod View Post

Wish you had some pics of the building process & how it's mounted to the truck. That really looks nice & practical for a DD. Thanks for sharing.
Sorry man . . . no pics of the building process. i am not an interior ... or upholstery guy and I will say... it was extremely simple. Anybody could do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblueburban View Post
Jeffg1010 that headliner is sick! I love it. I like that because it gives you a spot for speakers
Posted via Mobile Device
thanks man!
1986 C30 Crewcab - 63K original miles, original paint

Members I have met: mikey531, gcburdic, bashed, burbman69, TonyPieras, Blazester, GCncsuHD, custombuilt67-72, tsnow678, highrpm, PanelDeland, tanman722001, 47thriftmaster, babyblueoval, 68stepbed, JesseWebb, Andy4639, xs-style, TobyArnot, BigOrange, frednoah, brn_agn, k5hart, Graham57a, bhelton, AJohn6, SilverC10, 69CST, '71 Flame, RaceAGMC, Liz, Josh, MattPSU, 68corvair, Chevy350V8, mdeal, ccrorymc, mrhurt73, dmxxpert, Custom68, 84GMC, BionicABs1, BigBlockBurris, Ebfabman, ATP...
jeffg1010 is offline   Reply With Quote