The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2017, 08:41 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

T350 kickdown cable?

Can anyone recommend what I need for this with my eddy carb. The one on my carb goes to throttle pedal and I need to change it.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:51 AM   #2
James the III

Re: T350 kickdown cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERBrian View Post
Can anyone recommend what I need for this with my eddy carb. The one on my carb goes to throttle pedal and I need to change it.

edel part #8026
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post

edel part #8026

I'm guessing that bolts to the hole on the carb, but what cable should I get? The transmission mechanic said to replace what I currently have as it's designed to attached to the pedal. He said I need one that goes up to the carb, since I don't have an attachment point at the pedal.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
geezer#99

Turbo 350 or turbo 400?
Turbo 350 has a cable for kickdown.
Turbo 400 has a switch.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #5
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Turbo 350 or turbo 400?
Turbo 350 has a cable for kickdown.
Turbo 400 has a switch.
Turbo 350
Old 03-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
MASTERBrian

Ok, I did some more searching and I think I found the answer. From my understanding is that bracket above corrects the angle of the pull to aid in WOT. Then I need the style of cable that basically slides on that 'bolt' or whatever you wish to call it.

I think I found that a 70's Camaro uses that style of cable. I just wonder if length matters, but alas, I can't believe if it's a sbc motor and T350 tranny that there would be any reason for a differing length of cable, it's not like that combination in a Nova, truck, Camaro, etc would be any different length that I can think of.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:53 AM   #7
MASTERBrian

While installing the 8029 eddy bracket, which mounts to intake manifold, it says the eddy 8026 is needed with the 46le, 700r4 and the 200r4. It didn't anywhere mention the t350. Do I infact use it for the t350? I did buy one.

Then with the 8029, I'm a bit confused because it seems really, really close to the valve cover. In fact I had to slightly bend it in do with the kick down cable installed it wouldn't hit the cover. I'm socially considering pulling it back off and drilling two new holes higher up on the bracket to move the kick down mount up a bit as is IF I need to pull the valve cover off I'll have to unhook the bracket. That can't be right, but I'm not sure how it can be hooked up wrong.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

No... it sounds like you bought a "TV" cable for an OD transmission. You need just a simple old kickdown cable for a TH350.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #9
MASTERBrian

I bought what should be a kickdown cable. It was from a Chevelle, I believe, that had the t350.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:06 PM   #10
PGSigns

All we ever did for a T350 was put a bolt in the bottom hole in the carb and slide the linkage over it. Put a lock not on it to keep it on there. The adjust the mount till it kicked down like we wanted.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #11
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
All we ever did for a T350 was put a bolt in the bottom hole in the carb and slide the linkage over it. Put a lock not on it to keep it on there. The adjust the mount till it kicked down like we wanted.
Jimmy
So, no reason for the 8026 bracket. I'm still perplexed at the mount on the manifold, I'm thinking it might be for the LS motor. For some reason though, I have been sitting on the EXACT same bracket, minus the piece for the kickdown cable, since I built this motor 20yrs ago. No clue what tranny was in the truck it was slated for, but the engine was the same. I guess end of day, it shouldn't matter if I can get the bracket to work, everything will end up ok.

I'll try to upload a picture later...I'm hoping just drilling some holes higher up is ok.

I don't have the throttle cable ran yet, as I still have to modify the throttle pedal a little and run a hole through the firewall for it. I am going with a 70's pedal with cable vs the 60's throttle rod. There was another bracket, which might have worked better, in hindsight, but it actually gets bad reviews...
Old 03-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #12
James the III

Quote:
Jimmy
And then wondered why it down shifted late.. That inch away from the throttle shaft center line.. changes when the trans gets the signal to down shift..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #13
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
And then wondered why it down shifted late.. That inch away from the throttle shaft center line.. changes when the trans gets the signal to down shift..
You guys are confusing me here ....do I need 8026, which is the carb bracket, for the T350 with a kickdown cable?

****I'm reading, near the top, that I need it so I bought it. Then I'm reading from the posts from today that you say, I need it because I have a TV Cable for an OD trans, which I don't believe I have. I'm also reading that just a bolt will suffice, but again you are saying that's why it would shift late. I fully understand this bracket was to provide the correct angle for a kickdown, BUT what I'm reading on the description for it now is that IT IS for an OD trans.
I have no clue where this thing will or ever did shift as I never have been able to drive her yet. I rebuilt the T350 because it'd been sitting for 15years and when I got her the kickdown cable wasn't hooked up and the trans repair man said the type of cable I had would have gone to throttle pedal, but being as my pedal didn't have that attachment it wasn't hooked up. He told me to get the style I got, which goes to the carb instead. The part number for the cable is from, I believe a 70's Chevelle with a T350 Trans.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #14
cadillac_al

Quote:
Jimmy
That's the way I always did it on Edelbrocks and my truck was like that when I bought it and it always works fine. The 8026 bracket doesn't list th350 so it must only be needed for OD trannys. The original cable bracket works better than most of the aftermarket ones. It's nice to save those. It sounds like Brians original throttle cable bracket was for a th400 with no cable attachment point.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #15
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
That's the way I always did it on Edelbrocks and my truck was like that when I bought it and it always works fine. The 8026 bracket doesn't list th350 so it must only be needed for OD trannys. The original cable bracket works better than most of the aftermarket ones. It's nice to save those. It sounds like Brians original throttle cable bracket was for a th400 with no cable attachment point.
My original throttle cable wasnt as cable it was a rod assembly.

Originally this would have been a power glide trans.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #16
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I'm not sure where the 8026 bolts on the throttle linkage but it appears to have the correct stud for the TH350 kickdown cable to slide on it.

You will still need the part of the TH350 kickdown assembly that either bolts to the back of the carb or the intake manifold to adjust it.
Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 03-16-2017 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling... duh
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #17
ka_jd7and1
is a fungineer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VVxHhe0oeo

Where that bracket goes/what it does.

2003 S10, 2.2 auto- the daily driver, currently with a 2"/2" drop and some minor engine bolt-ons

1978 Impala 2-door, race 350/T350 - the new race car, in progress

1968 Chevy C10 longbed- 3/5 drop, currently undergoing a heart transplant
ka_jd7and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #18
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka_jd7and1 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VVxHhe0oeo

Where that bracket goes/what it does.
i understand where it goes and what it does, I'm just wondering if I actually need it or not? I DO NOT have an OD trans.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:06 PM   #19
MASTERBrian

Here are my pics. The carb isn't mounted as it needs rebuilt, so it's just there for reference. If you notice the kickdown cable mount, see how close to valve cover....
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #20
MASTERBrian

Called Edelbrock and they said 8018 is actually the correct kickdown to carb part I need, but that the 8026 will work since I have it.

As for the intake mani bracket I said I had 8029, but that's for an LS motor, he said the one I need is 8036. According to Amazon, 8036 is what I ordered, so not sure why I said 8029 UNLESS Amazon sent me the wrong bracket. They look very similar. He also sounded stunned that the bracket would hit the valve cover, but it's apparent in the pics that it does.

I don't see how something could be hooked up wrong, but maybe.... I'll also double check that Amazon didn't screw up my order.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #21
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Maybe I am missing something in your pic, but can you pop the cable assembly out of the square hole near the valve cover and snap it into one of the other square holes to put it closer to the carb? Like the hole that has the green wire going through it? Or the other one? Or unbolt the unused bracket and bolt the new bracket into that spot. Seems like the bolt holes should line up?
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...

Last edited by storm9c1; 03-15-2017 at 07:28 PM.
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #22
Ironangel

I'm thinking that the kick down bracket should possibly go to the inside of the mounting plate. That way it's more in line and will clear the valve cover. That plate may not be a GM throttle and kick down unit which would explain why it appeared bent and doesn't seem to line up? Something looks screwy with that plate, might need to bend it away from the valve cover so it clears and lines up better? Heres a couple of pics of mine, these are factory throttle and kick down brackets, they are independent pieces that line up...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:25 PM   #23
MASTERBrian

Here's a picture looking straight down.

I'm not sure moving it inside will help. I think I need to get the carb rebuilt and mounted, run the throttle cable and see where I'm at.

It will not go into one of the other fittings, but I don't need both as one is for cruise which I don't have and doubt I'll install. I could move it up, but then I think it would be out of alignment.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2017, 12:01 PM   #24
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERBrian View Post
Here's a picture looking straight down.

I'm not sure moving it inside will help. I think I need to get the carb rebuilt and mounted, run the throttle cable and see where I'm at.

It will not go into one of the other fittings, but I don't need both as one is for cruise which I don't have and doubt I'll install. I could move it up, but then I think it would be out of alignment.
I too would put it on the inside away from the valve cover and then bend the whole bracket back towards the cover enough to line it up with the carb.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:44 PM   #25
Ironangel

No, from that angle it looks good. I read where the bracket was crowding the valve cover and add my screwy vision (45 years of welding) and I went into repair mode! "All good, my bad"
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"

Last edited by Ironangel; 03-15-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote