The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
Rich69shortfleet

Getting a radon mitigation system installed today

Probably long overdue, but we are getting a radon mitigation system installed today. We already have an interior drain tile system so they are going to tap into that to get the underground suction needed to keep the radon out. EPA says readings of 4 and above should be mitigated and a reading of 10 should be done like yesterday. We had a reading of a 6.5. Company guarantees they will get it under 4 and think they can get it down to 1.5 or lower more than likely.

Anyway, the tests are inexpensive, I suggest to everyone to at least test to see what you've got. The system install for us is just under $1100 so not horribly difficult to afford. I don't know about other states, but here in Nebraska you can't sell a house without a radon test and if it tests at a 4 or above a mitigation system is mandatory before a sale can take place. But then Nebraska is heavy on the radon.

We are having ours installed running through the attic so there won't be any large white pipes on the outside of the house, just one poking through the roof. I hope the fan noise isn't bothersome enough to keep us awake at night. The neighbors a few doors down have one on the side of their house and I can't hear the fan from the sidewalk so I'm assuming they don't make much noise.
Rich69shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Getting a radon mitigation system installed today

It's a requirement for home sales in SC too, or at least Greenville County, can't remember if it's statewide or by county, but Greenville county is a "1" on the EPA map for possible radon above 4. Luckily, my house tested well below a 1.

It looks like at least half of your state is a 1 or 2:

https://www.epa.gov/radon/find-infor...ation#radonmap
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 04-23-2018 at 01:34 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
95 S_Trucker

One was put in our house when it was built in the 80s. The fan is quiet. Ours is located in the basement. You mentioned where it would vent out of the house, but where is the fan motor mounted?
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:09 PM   #4
Ski-me

I don't think its required in CO, but recommended. Same criteria. Over 4 would be a recommendation to install a system. $1100 is about the same cost we see here too (wife is Realtor).

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:42 PM   #5
Rich69shortfleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
One was put in our house when it was built in the 80s. The fan is quiet. Ours is located in the basement. You mentioned where it would vent out of the house, but where is the fan motor mounted?
Ours is in the attic.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #6
'63GENIII

So does the Radon accumulate in the basement? If so, how does it get there? Does it come through the foundation walls or windows or is it something that is actually in the home itself? Sounds like some pretty bad and sneaky stuff from what I've read.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #7
Rich69shortfleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
So does the Radon accumulate in the basement? If so, how does it get there? Does it come through the foundation walls or windows or is it something that is actually in the home itself? Sounds like some pretty bad and sneaky stuff from what I've read.
It comes in through any flaw or crack in the concrete. The air in most houses is at a slightly lower pressure than the air outside so the radon gas takes the easiest route available and enters the structure. But, since most houses don't regularly exchange interior air for outside air (so as to keep heating and cooling systems efficient) the radon builds up. It typically comes in in the basement or through the slab, but once inside it fills up the entire space top to bottom, your HVAC system will spread it around. The only way to know if it is there and in what concentration is to test for it.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:28 AM   #8
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Provisions for radon extraction became mandatory last year here in Alberta.
20mil poly sealed at all penetrations under the concrete.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1524576327
Attached Images

1967 Oshawa built LWB Fleetside. 327,3 OTT, 515 Vermilion, CST, PS, PB, Shoulder Harness, Tach,Vac, Speed Warning, Choke Delete, Manual Throttle, Fawn interior. Dealer installed A/C 04/2015, N34 Rosewood Wheel 06/2023
Members who I have met personally. Metaldoc, chevnkevin, 62 Longbed, 72LHorn, 72MARIO, YBNORML, TBONE1964, Classic Bowties, Chevemall, Dagnabbitt.
Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #9
Rich69shortfleet

Just a follow up. We can't even hear the fan from inside the house. The vertical pipe runs through my clothes closet and if you listen real closely from inside the closet you can barely hear air moving through the pipe, but that's about it. Very happy with the work the guys did. Will be interested to see what their testing shows our radon levels to be post-install of the new system. We will have results Thursday.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #10
noco-k5

Mine dropped from over 11 to below 1. They had to put the fan on the corner of my house, which is ugly as sin. We put a trellis in front of it and will throw some sort of ivy or something in there to cover it up as much as possible.
noco-k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #11
Rich69shortfleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by noco-k5 View Post
Mine dropped from over 11 to below 1. They had to put the fan on the corner of my house, which is ugly as sin. We put a trellis in front of it and will throw some sort of ivy or something in there to cover it up as much as possible.
I would guess you could paint the fan and pipe so it would blend in, but yeah, they are kind of ugly looking. This is why when the offered the option to run it into the attic we jumped at that chance. Cost a few dollars more, but is worth it for aesthetics.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #12
Rich69shortfleet

Our post install measurement was .8.