The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2023, 08:15 AM   #1
popeyestruck

speaker location

Trying to find a good place to mount speakers without relocation the gas tank. The mounts for the cab corners all say they wont work but there is some room still there for something smaller. The lik shows some that are 3 inches deep and can go under the seat but I think with the solid sheetmetal under the seat it will sound muffled. I was think I could mount these hanging from the rail under the back window (59 small back window) They are 3 x 12 1/2 x 11 https://www.classiccarstereos.com/un...pair-250w.html Anyone have any experience with this?
popeyestruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 11:31 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: speaker location

whatever you do, screw things down so they don't become projectiles on a hard stop or worse.
personally I think down low is more muffled but you run outta room fast in old trucks.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:50 PM   #3
popeyestruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
whatever you do, screw things down so they don't become projectiles on a hard stop or worse.
personally I think down low is more muffled but you run outta room fast in old trucks.
Theres 12 inches between the back of cab support and the top of the tank so I figure I should be able to make a bracket and screw the speakers directly to it. Speakers will be behind the seat but I'm short and the seat shouldn't be back all the way
Old 05-06-2023, 02:31 PM   #4
mr48chev

I know I know I always grouse a bit at the guys who shout "make your own rather than buy" but this time around making your own enclosures to hold the speakers is probably your best option and not that spendy or that difficult. Mesure the usable space you have above the gas tank but under the edge of where the visible sheet metal starts.

The car audio guys usually make their boxes out of MFD (medium density fiberboard) board for their car sound systems. You might even snoop some of the car audo stores that cater to the thump and bump brigade to see if you can find a ready made one that fits. You coud even make the speaker box assembly partof afiller panel that when done covered the gas tank and the speakers for a finished look.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 05:44 AM   #5
popeyestruck

I looked into speakers for building my own. They are insanely cheap priced. I may go this route. Truck is still in epoxy primer while waiting for motor at machine shop. I'm trying to keep busy doing these little projects
Old 05-08-2023, 02:21 PM   #6
jweb

I built some boxes for 6x9's out of MDF in the corner next to the gas tank.
They are down low but I wasn't looking for the best sound, so it works great for me.

In my 51 but I would think you could do the same.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 02:45 PM   #7
57tailgater

I once had some 4x7's (from a previous OT stock location) that I built some boxes for and sat in the rear corners. They fit with a stock gas tank. Sounds was ok, nothing special and I don't think I could hear the right one - ha! Maybe put a sub woofer under the seat and some speakers in a stock speaker box above the windshield.
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:27 PM   #8
56 3100

i made kick panels for up front not super hard to do. some sound lost if mountiing behind seat in corners.
56 3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 11:10 AM   #9
popeyestruck

Ended up buying these speakers. https://www.classiccarstereos.com/un...pair-250w.html They are an all metal box. I plan on bonding them to the back cab wall under the window and above the tank. They are made to mount on a wall or under a seat. They come with flat brackets with screw holes but instead of using the screws I'll secure the brackets with panel bond or something similar. The brackets hold the speakers about 1/4 inch off the wall so I still should be able to use hushmat behind the speakers. Anyone see any problems with this?