The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #26
Old Truck Man

Re: GMC 702 Twin Six V-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjeff View Post
Some could say that about members here. Something about glass houses comes to mind.
Good point. as much as I like my old trucks. I will readily admit when they actually work the newer fuel injected disk braked vehicles will out preform the older ones. The only problem is when the newer stuff breaks down you cant fix it alongside the road. Im at a quandry with a 92 ford mustang at this time. It quit running. Everyone says its the fuel pump in the tank. Pull the tank and hook a battery to the pump nothing wrong with the pump. bypass the emergency shutoff and that not it. so its the throttle sensor of module or something else. 4 cyl with eight spark plugs and gadgets that do who knows what. I know they have their fan,s however even when they where brand new Y block fords and GMC V6 engines wherent really any good. It was rare to see one that lasted even 50 thousand miles. Ford made the Y block from 1954 thru 64 and GMC made the V6 for about the same mount of years. Yet the chev small block came out in 55 and is still being made.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:58 PM   #27
imjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Truck Man View Post
Good point. as much as I like my old trucks. I will readily admit when they actually work the newer fuel injected disk braked vehicles will out preform the older ones. The only problem is when the newer stuff breaks down you cant fix it alongside the road. Im at a quandry with a 92 ford mustang at this time. It quit running. Everyone says its the fuel pump in the tank. Pull the tank and hook a battery to the pump nothing wrong with the pump. bypass the emergency shutoff and that not it. so its the throttle sensor of module or something else. 4 cyl with eight spark plugs and gadgets that do who knows what. I know they have their fan,s however even when they where brand new Y block fords and GMC V6 engines wherent really any good. It was rare to see one that lasted even 50 thousand miles. Ford made the Y block from 1954 thru 64 and GMC made the V6 for about the same mount of years. Yet the chev small block came out in 55 and is still being made.
Some good points, but I was talking about us! BTW, I got 235,000 miles out of my 305 E series V6. One of the best rigs I've had. Still running when I sold it. They weren't meant to be a SBC. They were way more industrial...8 gallons of coolant and heavy.
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #28
1project2many

Quote:
I will readily admit when they actually work the newer fuel injected disk braked vehicles will out preform the older ones.
I get 300-400k miles out of newer vehicles in our fleet. They "actually work" more than they're broken.

Quote:
Im at a quandry with a 92 ford mustang at this time. It quit running. Everyone says its the fuel pump in the tank. Pull the tank and hook a battery to the pump nothing wrong with the pump.
See... this is why people think computerized cars are hard to fix. On a '56 there were only so many parts to replace before you got lucky and repaired the problem. But these days you often need test equipment to do actual diagnosis. BTW, a 92 Mustang is actually an old car... 22 years have passed since that was made!
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #29
Old Truck Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
I get 300-400k miles out of newer vehicles in our fleet. They "actually work" more than they're broken.

See... this is why people think computerized cars are hard to fix. On a '56 there were only so many parts to replace before you got lucky and repaired the problem. But these days you often need test equipment to do actual diagnosis. BTW, a 92 Mustang is actually an old car... 22 years have passed since that was made!
On the older vehicles I am able able to diagnose just exactly what is wrong and fix or replace only that problem. There is a difference between a parts changer and a mechanic. nowadays even with the expensive diagnostic equiptment a large portion of so called automotive techicnians are just parts changers. I rarely buy new assemblys. I rebuild my old parts or replace with a goof used part. I will install rings & bearings in a engine rather than purchase a crate engine. I will dissemble clean and repair a auto trans myself. Do my own carb work. I never take anything to someone else to get it fixed. decades ago we where rebuilding the final drives on a D7 caterpillar. The parts sales man asked us when we needed the service man to come and press the sprockets & hubs apart. We told him we already had them apart. He then stated well you will need to make a appointment to get them pressed back together. we stated we made our own homemade rig and use a big hydraulic jack and a 14 pound sledge hammer to install the sprockets. And we did! Ive always figured that is someone else was smart enough to build & design something I was smart enough to fix it. Much of the newer stuff is built with planned obleselesence. It is built to fail after a certain time. My 1944 Farmall M is LP has never needed a major repair since 1944. same engine trans radiator water pump & clutch. Things like the starter oil changes tires plugs & points ( it now has electronic ignition) are all its ever needed. and I use it. I reciently went and bailed square bales of hay. Mowed 15 acres with a$375 tractor and $110 sickle bar mower. raked it with a $120 side delivery rake. and bailed it with a $425 dollar New Holland model 273 bailer. Had one breakdown sheared the shear pin on the bailer. bought two rolls of twine cost $45 and a hundred pound bottle of LP cost $65 and still have twine & LP left.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #30
FetchMeAPepsi

Some people are just set in their ways. You can run them over with proof of their mis-information and they still carry on stating fiction like it's gospel.

"I've owned hundreds of _1___ and they're all junk. Never ran for more than 10 minutes without busting a head or blowing a gasket. The _2___ is so much better because I said so. No, I don't care that you have a _1__ and it runs great for 200k + miles. It's just junk. Probably woulda got 400k miles if you had a _2___ instead. "

Oh well. I gave it a shot.
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:28 AM   #31
cayoterun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
A lot of farmers around here ran the V6 GMC's when they were new because they did really well out in the fields at low speeds during harvest and a couple of neighbors still have two ton cattle trucks with those engines. The big issue around here outside of drinking fuel was the cost of repair when they finally wore out or got broken by inept farm hands driving them wound out to the max in too low a gear.
The V6 and 12s were both really low speed torque monsters, for sure.
The gradual loss of parts sources, and all other factors is why there isn't even any left in the junk piles. Salvage iron prices have got so high, they have disappeared from the junk yards, too.
Any left running are now seen as novelties, or oddities, but still a part of our ever changing march through automotive innovation and improvement. When someone sees one for the first time, they will almost always start looking to see how those two V6 blocks are joined, now knowing they were cast that way.
We have come a long ways from the Model T, and for the good too.
What will the internal combustion engines be like 50yrs from now?

I think I'll do it myself and pay the extra $500.
cayoterun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:10 AM   #32
cayoterun

[QUOTE=Old Crow;6874905]I like that Cayote. I also try to learn something each day. These forums help with that.
Here's something humorous for you today:

LOL, At my age, that's how I feel most of the time. Don't know whether I'm coming or going.

Maybe a shot of "Old Crow" might help------ if wife would let me.

I think I'll do it myself and pay the extra $500.
cayoterun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #33
67GMCkid

My son just sold a sweet running 305 v6 that was in a parts truck he bought for the cab..
Took about a month and a half to find a serious craigslist buyer. The buyer turned out to be a real young kid, maybe 18 or 19 who had a 67 dually with a seized v6 he wanted to keep the uniqueness of the truck..

The boy and I had talked several times that if it didn't sell, it would have ended up in my 52 panel backed by an s10 5speed..
Attached Images

Last edited by 67GMCkid; 10-13-2014 at 09:57 AM. Reason: tried to add picture
67GMCkid is offline   Reply With Quote