The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #226
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

Re: Brent's '72 Custom/10 SWB stepside build

project is looking great. sorry to hear bout the brakeline issues.

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #227
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Thanks. Sent an email with photos to The Right Stuff last night and they called me first thing this morning. They're building a new line for me and rushing it out, but obviously it won't be in time for the weekend. Said that their specs show that it's a larger fitting on that line, which I simply don't understand since both brake hoses are the same size. Very strange.

Haven't heard back from Inline Tube yet. Spoke with their tech last night and emailed pics as directed. Marginally disappointed that I haven't gotten a call yet. Oh, well. I really do think I might consider starting work on the bed wood this weekend.

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #228
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

There are always other things to work on with these projects. If I ever get to the point where there is just one more thing left to do, I'll be completely confused.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 06-05-2009 at 01:49 PM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #229
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
There are always other things to work on with these projects. If I ever get to the point where there is just one more thing left to do, I'll be completely confused.
I hear ya! Unfortunately for me, I'm the kinda guy who clears his plate one food at a time. Plus my extremely limited space available for work limits how many different parts of the project I can have in progress at one time. I'd like to start on bodywork, but that means unpacking the cab from its tightly nestled spot in the garage, which in turn has implications on everything else.

Just realized I can't do a whole lot with the bed wood until I get the stuff from Mar-K so I can lay it all out and see where modifications need to be made for the custom fuel tank, etc. May just end up being yet another a lost weekend after all.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #230
Ackattack

ya know, I got SS brakes lines from Classic tube and my driver's side line is the same way! I guess I can call them and see if they can make me the correct one too. It's at the paint shop right now so I can't take pictures.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #231
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
ya know, I got SS brakes lines from Classic tube and my driver's side line is the same way! I guess I can call them and see if they can make me the correct one too. It's at the paint shop right now so I can't take pictures.
That's really odd! They had darn well better make you the correct one, since you paid for it.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #232
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Sticking with the "if it's not one thing it's another" theme ... got a new (to me) engine stand yesterday and today decided to put the LS1 on it to swap on the CTS-V oil pan. Discovered after getting my pan off that the guy I bought the CTS-V pan from didn't include the windage tray as we had agreed. Emailed the guy and expect he'll make it right, but the bottom line is I can't even get this one little thing done and the weekend was almost completely wasted. (Couldn't accomplish anything else outdoors because it's been raining all weekend.)

Sorry ... just had to vent.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #233
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quick updates:
  1. Got the replacement line with the correct end on it from The Right Stuff a few days ago and installed it without issue. Great service there!
  2. Still waiting on the correct clips from Inline Tube. Terrible service there!
  3. The city decided my project was a "nuisance" thanks to a group of douchebags who have been patrolling the city looking for stuff to complain about -- literally, that's exactly what the group has been doing -- so I wasted a couple of days and project money on building some privacy panels to try to keep people happy. I only have one real neighbor and I talked with him last night about my project. He didn't care about the mess as long as progress was being made. So thanks to people with no business in my neighborhood and nothing better to do, I got to waste time and money on something that bothered virtually no one but drew positive interest from LOTS of passersby. Whatever....
  4. Just got notification a few minutes ago that my order from Mar-K shipped today. WOOHOO!

That's it for now. Maybe if I'm lucky the clips from Inline Tube will be there when I get home and I can get the brake lines secured tonight. Not holding my breath....
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #234
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Got the brake line clips from Inline Tube in the mail last night; about par for the course, they neglected to include the two without tabs that go on the back of the front crossmember. Rather than losing another weekend because of Inline Tube (which is rapidly losing my respect) I cut the tabs off the clips they sent originally and just used those. Looks fine, but still irritating.

Got all the lines secured today. Had to manhandle the front-to-rear line with the funny bends at the front end, but in the end it all turned out nicely. Pics follow.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #235
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Well, UPS Freight came to my house today. More accurately, he drove PAST my house by about a block and refused to back up or go around and try to make another pass at it, so I ended up carrying 250# of parts by hand about a block from the truck to my garage. Not cool, Mr. UPS Driver.

Guess now I have to get serious about this project.

Pics follow. Last pic shows why it pays to follow the directions and inspect your packages before signing for them. Unfortunately, it was pretty clear Mr. UPS Driver didn't want to wait around with his semi double-parked on a narrow city street while I carried all the stuff back to my place, opened the packages, and inspected for damage. Thank goodness it was just a cross sill that can be easily straightened and won't be seen rather than a bedside!
Attached Images

Last edited by brossow; 06-17-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:41 AM   #236
matthew20061
69' Chevy Stepside

New bed parts, I wish I had those new bed sides when I did mine! It's looking great so far! Keep up the good work.
-1957 Chevy BelAir 2 Door Post Sedan, Full Frame off Restoration done myself - 6.0L with T56 six speed
-1957 Chevy BelAir 2 Door Post Sedan - Nearly rust free AK car, Project in the waiting
-2003' Chevy Silverado SS AWD 6.0L! - Daily Driver
matthew20061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #237
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quick update: ordered a Walbro GSL392 fuel pump and a 'Vette fuel filter/regulator this afternoon. Time to start seriously thinking about the fuel system!

Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #238
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
I wonder if this is acually correct. I recently changed my '71 blazer rubber hoses to the longer 73-87 style. (for bag travel issues)
My steel lines came from Inline Tube and my rubber lines were from a local Auto Parts house as direct replacements. (they are sold as LH and RH hoses)

They were actually two different sizes,... with the driver's side steel line fitting being the bigger one. I had to use an adapter to make the 73-87 driver's side hose work.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #239
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
I wonder if this is acually correct. I recently changed my '71 blazer rubber hoses to the longer 73-87 style. (for bag travel issues)
My steel lines came from Inline Tube and my rubber lines were from a local Auto Parts house as direct replacements. (they are sold as LH and RH hoses)

They were actually two different sizes,... with the driver's side steel line fitting being the bigger one. I had to use an adapter to make the 73-87 driver's side hose work.
Turns out you're right. After I read that, I went out to check because the other day I happened to come across the original lines that I thought were long gone. Looked at 'em just now and the driver's side IS bigger. Now I feel bad for having The Right Stuff send me a replacement line (at their cost) when in fact they were right and it was the Inline Tube hose that was "wrong" ... or at least not original. Guess that's what happens when you mix and match vendors.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #240
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post

Then maybe I need to talk to ECE about their stainless steel brake hose kit that I'm using. (or maybe I just tried one, since I assumed they were the same). Hmmm it's a mystery
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #241
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Started work on the new bed today. Hot but dry for a change! Briefly had help from my youngest, but the lure of AC and cartoons quickly drew him back into the house.

Pics pretty much say it all. Need to cut a hole for the fuel tank filler before I can stain and seal the bed wood and that will require setting the bed in place on the chassis. (No way am I gonna chance it with just measuring and guessing, though I do know it'll be centered roughly 6" inboard and 6" forward of the left rear cross sill bolt.)

Rapidly approaching the point at which I need to decide to teach myself to paint or enlist the help of a buddy up the road who appears to do really nice work. Have to talk to him to get a price quote. Although I'd really like the satisfaction of having done virtually all the work myself, I'd also like the satisfaction of having it back together and on the road. Guess it's all gonna come down to what it will cost me to have it done (assuming he's even interested in doing it).
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #242
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looks good. Nice build!
Old 06-21-2009, 07:24 AM   #243
msgross

now that's how you get a nice bed... looks great.

I'm in the same boat as you with the paint. It would be nice to do it yourself, although it would be nice if it didn't turn out looking like poo!
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #244
msgross

did you call Mar-K about the damage? I bought something from then and they made it right. With the amount of items that you purchased I can't see them turning your away. You can still file a claim with UPS as well.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #245
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
did you call Mar-K about the damage? I bought something from then and they made it right. With the amount of items that you purchased I can't see them turning your away. You can still file a claim with UPS as well.
Nah, didn't bother. It was my fault for not inspecting it before signing for it. Two minutes with a dead-blow hammer and a couple blocks of wood and it was good as new (or close enough for a support piece no one will ever see, anyway).

Besides, quite frankly I'm unimpressed with Mar-K from a customer service perspective. Realized after placing my initial order (but long before it had shipped) that I had forgotten to put fender welt on the order. Asked if I could add it and they said sure, but it'll cost me another $8.95 handling fee as they had already invoiced me for the order. I asked politely, but they were completely unwilling to waive the fee despite how much money I had already given them. So screw 'em -- they obviously didn't want my money. I went on eBay and ended up buying 35' of welt for a couple bucks less (incl. shipping) than their price (WITHOUT the handling fee) for 10' of the same stuff. Companies like that irritate the hell out of me.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #246
msgross

that sucks.. When I bought a reinforcement strip from them and it was bowed like a banana they didn't even ask for pics, they simply sent another one out without hassle.

Where does the "welt" go?

Old 06-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #247
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
that sucks.. When I bought a reinforcement strip from them and it was bowed like a banana they didn't even ask for pics, they simply sent another one out without hassle.

Where does the "welt" go?
The welt is a vinyl strip that goes between the fender and the bedside on a stepside truck to prevent metal-on-metal contact.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #248
msgross

i see.. thanks for the info..

Last edited by msgross; 06-21-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #249
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Got the bed set temporarily in place tonight thanks to my sister and brother-in-law. Needed it set in place so I could carefully measure precisely where to cut a hole for the fuel filler neck. That's the good news.

The bad news is that the CPP shackles contact the bed wood (just barely) and that's without it even tightened down. GRR!!!!!!

I'm hoping it can be resolved with a couple extra bed mount pads under the rear cross sills and that everything will look okay and settle out with the back of the bed a fraction of an inch higher. Also aggravating is that the polished stainless carriage bolts are barely long enough to make it through the rear cross sill, frame, and ECC crossmember as it is; the added thickness of another pad or similar spacer will make them unusable and I'm gonna have to turn up two polished stainless carriage bolts a half-inch longer. That should be a real pleasure.

If anyone has an extra pair (or complete set) of bed mounting pads they want to sell, please let me know. Obviously I can order them but I suspect I'll pay more for shipping than for the pads if I get them from one of the vendors.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #250
nuke1

coming along really nice. got to hate those ppl that have nothing better to do other than make trouble for those of us that are doin productive things in life.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote