The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
BLT-NT-BOT

Mounting Blazer Tub to the Frame

I just got my tub and frame painted and I am ready to mount them back together. I bought a mounting kit from Wes (which looks fantastic) My question is where do I start? When I pulled the body it had several shims between the tub and mounts, but of course I didn't track what went where. Any suggests on using the shims, not using shims and how do I know if I even need the shims? any advise would be greatly appreciated.

thanks Jothan
BLT-NT-BOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
cleszkie

Re: Mounting Blazer Tub to the Frame

I am not 100% certain, but I think the chassis assembly/service manual provides a starting point for the number and location of shims. From that point on, its a trial and error process. No two Blazers have the same shimming.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:06 AM   #3
toomany2yz

I just went through this on mine, only slightly different. I replaced everything from the firewall back (cab floor, bed floor, step up, bedsides). I had the fortune of being able to set gaps before welding the floors back together.

I started by squaring up the tub to the frame. Hang doors and front sheet metal (front fenders will change how the firewall sits). I put one shim at each location. From there I set up the door/b-pillar gap. Then door/windshield gap. Last, moved on to the door fender gap.

Stsrting with one at each location allowed me to remove some if I needed to. Basically saving the need for a taller stack elsewhere. Each time you set one gap, the others will change slightly. You'll need to take your time and go around it a few times to get it perfect.

I haven't painted yet. Wanted to get everything set (or as close as i could) before. That way any changes I had to make, could be done wifhout worry of scratches. When final assembly occours, I fully expect the shim stacks to change some
toomany2yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #4
DemkoG

If you plan on using a hard top mount it, before/while doing this.
DemkoG is offline   Reply With Quote