The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
swey00

Question extra gas tank?

I am having fuel issues with my blazer. It has been randomly dying, but will idle all day. I was going to drop my tank and replace all my rubber lines and check the pickup. When I was under the blazer(haven't owned that long), I found it has an extra gas tank directly above the rear axle right between the wheel wells. I am thinking with this tank being completely empty, it is sucking air, so this could be the cause of my issues. Here is a pic:

I am needing to remove it either way because I am installing newer suburban rear seats, so I will need access to the underside. Can I just stick a bolt in the line that connects to the "extra" tank with a hose clamp to do away with it? here are a couple more pics of what I am working with:

The line from the previous pic connects into this splitter and goes back to the regular "main" gastank:

And finally are there supposed to be 3 lines coming out of here and heading to rear bumper area? I imagine they have to do with venting the fuel, but i'm not positive:

thanks for any help
swey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
cleszkie

Re: extra gas tank?

Never seen that configuration. Border Patrol here in SoCal would have a field day trying to see what contraband you had stuffed in there How is your exhaust routed with that tank there? I don't see it in any pictures.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:29 PM   #3
swey00

glasspacks on the outside of the frame, but tucked up under exiting right in front of the rear tires...
Old 03-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
ATL Golfer

You should be fine doing that. I would try to tell if there is anything in there first perhaps. Remember you're dealing with gas.

I actually just took out that same valve that led to two Hickey tanks in the bed area. Blazer runs much better ...think the valve was impeding flow.

Now what to do with these tanks. Leave em in the rear or take them out and put caps over the holes.
ATL Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:50 PM   #5
cleszkie

ATL Golfer - Sent you a PM.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
swey00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
You should be fine doing that. I would try to tell if there is anything in there first perhaps. Remember you're dealing with gas.

I actually just took out that same valve that led to two Hickey tanks in the bed area. Blazer runs much better ...think the valve was impeding flow.

Now what to do with these tanks. Leave em in the rear or take them out and put caps over the holes.
yea, I knocked on it while I was under there and it is bone dry...that is what leads me to believe it is sucking air from it when I am having issues trying to drive the blazer.

I have now idea what I will do with it, prolly end up in my metal pile most likely...