The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2018, 05:34 PM   #176
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: Crew Cab build preview...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3rail View Post
Hicksville. Wishing I could leave this leftest state!
I don't miss long island but do have some fond memories of it. Used to eat at Thomas's ham and eggery in carl place on old country road, ever eat there? Great breakfast!
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #177
randy500
Account Suspended

My latest project was getting the AC system rebuilt and charged.
I read and read and read up on how A/C works and how the POA valve in our trucks system functions. Read lots on our forum and the autoac forum about 134a problems and decided to stick with R12. I was about to buy some $40 a can R12 off ebay, takes 5+ cans and then looked on offerup, found 2 30lb jugs, one with 17lbs of R12 in it and the other with about 27lbs in it, got those from 2 different people for a total of $185.
I bought some AC gauges, vacuum pump, nitrogen tank and regulator....etc.
I had to buy the high mount AC brackets from Cummins, it was a ton of work but it all worked out and now I have a working AC system. I learned a lot doing it too.

Now I am putting factory AC in my short bed 2wd project, hope to get it charged this weekend.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2018, 05:49 PM   #178
randy500
Account Suspended

I almost forgot I put a rebuilt he351cw turbo on it and some 300hp marine injectors. Amazingly my old injectors with almost 300k on them were in great condition. New turbo and injectors make a bit more power, think I need to bump the timing up a bit next. The new injectors do idle noticeably smoother.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #179
randy500
Account Suspended

Next project is on board air, you can see in the last picture part of the mount I made for a York compressor, need to find a compressor at pick n pull, haven’t been there yet. The York will mount adjacent to the power steering pump and below the intake elbow. I machined a v-belt drive pulley and installed it on the fan hub.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:41 PM   #180
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Next project is on board air, you can see in the last picture part of the mount I made for a York compressor, need to find a compressor at pick n pull, haven’t been there yet. The York will mount adjacent to the power steering pump and below the intake elbow. I machined a v-belt drive pulley and installed it on the fan hub.
Randy
You will Enjoy having on board Compressed Air.
That brings back memories.
My Daddy had a set-up that would run a 3/4" drive IR impact.

Main thing is on those York's / the plug in the top is where you add Oil.
Keep oil in It. Daddy used it daily as a Over the Road Mechanic.
With his busy schedule sometimes it ran TOO low.
I learned a lot .
He had Dual tanks and valves on the bottom to drain the water.

Off that subject but with the same truck (That the Odometer turned 10 times) I remember one time I was riding shotgun with him and the truck quit running.
Quick survey of the situation was fuel pump not working. So
With a set of Oxy/Acy. bottles for a torch set-up in the bed of the truck.
With removal of gas cap on auxiliary tank and an Oxygen hose with (Magic Tape) and 5 lbs. pressure pushing fuel forward.

So we did not walk home.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:41 AM   #181
72BBChuck

Randy, You have way to many cool projects. Chuck :-)
72BBChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:46 AM   #182
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BBChuck View Post
Randy, You have way to many cool projects. Chuck :-)
Thanks bud. Working on getting you that cab
working on my 72 k10 today
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2019, 11:42 PM   #183
Madkidd007

Quote:
My latest project was getting the AC system rebuilt and charged.
I read and read and read up on how A/C works and how the POA valve in our trucks system functions. Read lots on our forum and the autoac forum about 134a problems and decided to stick with R12. I was about to buy some $40 a can R12 off ebay, takes 5+ cans and then looked on offerup, found 2 30lb jugs, one with 17lbs of R12 in it and the other with about 27lbs in it, got those from 2 different people for a total of $185.
I bought some AC gauges, vacuum pump, nitrogen tank and regulator....etc.
I had to buy the high mount AC brackets from Cummins, it was a ton of work but it all worked out and now I have a working AC system. I learned a lot doing it too.

Now I am putting factory AC in my short bed 2wd project, hope to get it charged this weekend.
Was cruising your thread seeing how you did yours vs mine. How hot does the evaporator housing get? I was worried how close mine was and flipped my manifold.
Syclone killer AWD T56 LS

Paypal please pay as Goods&Services Madkidd00000007@yahoo.com
Madkidd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:47 AM   #184
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkidd007 View Post
Was cruising your thread seeing how you did yours vs mine. How hot does the evaporator housing get? I was worried how close mine was and flipped my manifold.
You know I haven’t really checked how hot it gets, I figure it will have a burn spot if it gets to hot. I was gonna check it but have now forgot about it.

I thought of the manifold flip and almost had to do it when I installed the he351 turbo since it is slightly larger diameter. If it becomes a problem I plan on installing a turbo blanket, making a heat shield or re shaping the outer ac box. In fact the box on it has been repaired so is a good candidate to test out making a dimple in it.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:42 PM   #185
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

On my 72 my turbo is really close to the hvac box. It hasn't even discolored it and I've towed quite a bit with the truck. I was worried about it too but I don't think it's an issue. But, maybe the heat could effect the coolness of the A/C? I couldn't tell yo on that because I haven't finished my ac.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:44 PM   #186
Madkidd007

Not trying to turn his thread into something else and do a thread jack. But since a few of us are running very similar setups I thought y’all may like to see the flipped manifold clearance. That wire loom isn’t actually touching by the way.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2019, 11:50 PM   #187
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
On my 72 my turbo is really close to the hvac box. It hasn't even discolored it and I've towed quite a bit with the truck. I was worried about it too but I don't think it's an issue. But, maybe the heat could effect the coolness of the A/C? I couldn't tell yo on that because I haven't finished my ac.
Thanks for posting up about the heat I was worried about it, just had forgot, now that you say you have towed and haven’t noticed damage, I’m not concerned.

When I charged my ac system it was only 75 degrees here so it hasn’t been fully tested. I thought i checked the box by hand after driving a few times.

I suspect it might get a little warm idling in heavy traffic but moving down the road there has to be a lot of airflow over it keeping it cool.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:55 PM   #188
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Not trying to turn his thread into something else and do a thread jack. But since a few of us are running very similar setups I thought y’all may like to see the flipped manifold clearance. That wire loom isn’t actually touching by the way.
Thanks for posting the picture...
When I was installing my engine I put it where it is, which is as far to the driver side and back as possible while using the 2nd gen mounts...at the time I had a feeling the manifold could be flipped but wasn’t sure, also I used the diamondback exhaust system for a 1st gen and didn’t want to make many mods to it therefore I didn’t flip the manifold.
I didn’t want to mod the exhaust because the amount of work it takes to install a Cummins is overwhelming and I wanted it on the road as soon as possible.

If I have any problems with the ac system fromexhaust heat I will flip the manifold to,cure that and to get a better air filter set up on it with less bends.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:02 AM   #189
randy500
Account Suspended

BTW: took another trip to Vancouver about a week ago, 135 miles each way, all highway with a couple slow spots, 19.5 mpg...I still am stunned by the mileage but since the install have read more and more threads on Cummins installs in this style and square bodies...mpg seems to be inline with others that have posted, although most seem to be VE pumps.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:13 AM   #190
randy500
Account Suspended

In my ac system picture a few posts ago you might notice I installed the he351cw turbo, and when I did that I installed 330hp Bosch marine injectors.
In theory I think it should get on the boost a little sooner, it probably does, what it does do is pull stronger and a bit longer, it’s more robust in almost every way. It does have a gutted afc, not my doing so it will put out a cloud of smoke if floored when not spooled up. It’s easy to control since it’s manual transmission.
I did break the tires loose at 40mph or so in third going uphill when the turbo spooled which it didn’t seem to do before, scared the crap out of my wife...

So even with the larger turbo and injectors the mpg is fine which makes me real happy.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:24 AM   #191
randy500
Account Suspended

I also never posted that when I installed the dana 60 front axle I put 3:54 gears in it, the axle needed a full rebuild so I bought a new gear set, at the time I still had the rear dana 60 with 3:73 gears, I ran it a bit like that, maybe a week then found a 1st gen dana 70 with 3:54 gears on Craigslist, I think I paid about $200, it has a powelock, I bought that and installed it, of course I had to remove the shock mounts and perches, find suitable replacements, etc, along with mods to the parking brake cable mounts. The build/install was fine but I had just done all that mount work to the dana 60 I had in there...at least the dana 70 has 32 splines, the dana 60 had 30 and I was afraid it would break at any moment.

As luck would have it the local pick n pull got a 2nd gen truck with a dana 80 3:54 power lock the following week...I bought it so another axle build and swap is in the works...it will need to be narrowed. I bought a mittler brothers alignment bar and made some pucks but haven’t gotten to it yet.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:37 AM   #192
randy500
Account Suspended

Sooo....you might ask, how Do i like the new gears?, I don’t. Too high. Around town it’s much more effort to take off and seems to lug a bit on gear changes where the 3:73’s seemed perfect. It’s fine, it’s just different. Of course much better on the highway but I’m in town usually. So I will eventually put a 6 speed in it, not anytime soon but it’s on the list.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:50 AM   #193
randy500
Account Suspended

A couple pucs of what im working on right now, 72 K10, kind of a frame on restore...
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2019, 12:57 AM   #194
Madkidd007

A couple quick thoughts. I’ve heard when going larger on injectors as long as you have enough turbo which we do. But going larger helps mileage to an extent. My theory is more torque equals less work/load. I’m running 35s with 4.10s, limited by the Eaton. When I had 37s it was happier highway but I felt I would use more throttle accelerating. If I keep cruising under 72-75 it seems to just go with very light throttle at 7-8 lbs of boost. What size tires are you running? O and I’m auto with overdrive if I didn’t tell you before.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:14 AM   #195
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
A couple quick thoughts. I’ve heard when going larger on injectors as long as you have enough turbo which we do. But going larger helps mileage to an extent. My theory is more torque equals less work/load. I’m running 35s with 4.10s, limited by the Eaton. When I had 37s it was happier highway but I felt I would use more throttle accelerating. If I keep cruising under 72-75 it seems to just go with very light throttle at 7-8 lbs of boost. What size tires are you running? O and I’m auto with overdrive if I didn’t tell you before.
I remember u said u had an auto, I would like one just simplified my install with the manual, longevity wise and my ability to rebuild it, etc.

I have 32’s essentially, bfg specs them as 33 but I think they measure out to 32 ish. Don’t recall the size but they are the largest diameter that will fit stockish wheels for hubcaps, econoline wheels.
I think my boost is around 10 at 70 mph which I think is 1800 rpm or so from my last trip glancing at the tach.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:14 PM   #196
bill3rail

Quote:
I don't miss long island but do have some fond memories of it. Used to eat at Thomas's ham and eggery in carl place on old country road, ever eat there? Great breakfast!
Somehow, I missed this question. I actually ate there a few months ago and it was good. Was passing by and thought...Have not been there in many decades so why not?

Bill
Old 06-13-2019, 12:34 AM   #197
randy500
Account Suspended

I haven’t posted in a long time....
The crew has been my daily driver all all last winter and still is. Haven’t had any problems with it as all. When I started driving it spring of 2018 I think, it had lots of bare metal in the door jambs, roof etc, all the crew cab mods. Well all that stuff got real rusty, I wasn’t able to keep it out of the weather.
So I have it torn down a bit and am painting the door jambs and will be finishing the outer roof too. While it’s down I’m installing the trim and practicing making the upper back door trim.

Surprisingly the rust came right off with a wire wheel, I normally don’t use a wheel for rust removal but it did a real nice job, I guess the rust was really just light surface rust, it looked real ugly though.
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2019, 12:43 AM   #198
randy500
Account Suspended

I don’t know if I ever commented on how rough it rides. I haven’t had a straight axle 4wd in a long time and never as a daily driver so I just chalked it up to straight axle ride, well after finishing my k10 and it driving so nice and smooth I decided to do something about the front suspension, it has unknown very heavy duty 2.5” lift springs, I don’t think they absorb any road impacts at all. I think it just bounces over stuff.
Today I ordered a set of alcan springs which will be custom made for my truck and the weight on the front axle. I can’t wait to get them, the ride quality really sucks and it’s wearing on me.
Ordering from alcan was a chore and I’m not sure what I will get. I posted in the 4wd section about how that went. Hopefully I will get a nice set of springs that provide a smooth ride....
Old 06-13-2019, 05:00 AM   #199
72 tigger

Will look good when you’re done- hopefully the springs you ordered will work well for you. Thanks for the update
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #200
Madkidd007

Quote:
I haven’t posted in a long time....
The crew has been my daily driver all all last winter and still is. Haven’t had any problems with it as all. When I started driving it spring of 2018 I think, it had lots of bare metal in the door jambs, roof etc, all the crew cab mods. Well all that stuff got real rusty, I wasn’t able to keep it out of the weather.
So I have it torn down a bit and am painting the door jambs and will be finishing the outer roof too. While it’s down I’m installing the trim and practicing making the upper back door trim.

Surprisingly the rust came right off with a wire wheel, I normally don’t use a wheel for rust removal but it did a real nice job, I guess the rust was really just light surface rust, it looked real ugly though.
Lucky me. I was standing in the garage yesterday debating how to do the rear floor. And exactly what you did is what I had in mind. Nice to have reassurance now