The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
56chevy1300

87 GMC Sierra Classic Build

Hello! It has been 5 years since I last posted when I built this 56 pickup http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?t=2202 56 and I must first apologize to anyone in that message board for leaving them hanging with their questions after posting for 3 years then disappearing. I got off the net, drove her every day in the summer for a few years then sold her to a guy who flew in and drove back to Winnipeg.

My fondness for squarebodys started when my dad bought an 86 GMC Wrangler longbed in 88 but it has certain grown recently thanks to seeing these things all over the net and TV. I decided it was time to pull the trigger so when I spent some time in Iowa last year I started looking but even decent longbeds are at least $4-$5k!

I found this 87 GMC Sierra Classic not far from Edmonton for about $900 USD. Completely unmolested, original everything, 305 TBI, 700R4, ps, pb, air, tilt, cruise. Excellent mechanical, decent interior and body except the rot over the rear wheels and a few dents. But I think she's a great project truck!

My plans include a static drop, 18" wheels/tires, clean up the interior and possible future shortbed and engine conversions. I'm liking the rusty original paint although the patch panels on the bed are going to mess that up a bit. This truck will hopefully be a long distance driver between Alberta and Iowa and I would love to take this thing to some shows like C10s in the Park, C10 Nationals, Brothers Truck and Good-Guys but we'll see!

First question: I like the raked look on these trucks and am considering a 4/5 drop. How do I achieve a 5" drop in the back? Flip kits say 6" and shackle/hangers are 4". Anyone have suggestions? I know Western Chassis sells 4" drop leafs and I could put 1" drop shackles on for a total of 5". Any advice? Not interested in removing leafs; this truck will be used as a truck.
Attached Images

56chevy1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:03 PM   #2
56chevy1300

Re: 87 GMC Sierra Classic Build

Interior and engine
Attached Images

56chevy1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:46 AM   #3
Willowrun

Re: 87 GMC Sierra Classic Build

Nicely bought at $900 with FI and AC. Regarding only dropping the rear 5", swapping the rear hangers for 4x4 hangers will bring it up about an inch to an inch and a half with a flip. I did this on the rear of a 2wd Jimmy and will also do the same on the Suburban in this thread that shows you how:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645053
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote