The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2019, 08:54 PM   #1
Red71gmc

Any old Enduro riders out there

I think my grandson is making me go through my second childhood. He is only going to be five this summer but I find myself wanting to get him all the good stuff. My latest thing is remembering my first motorcycle being a 1974 Yamaha 80 Enduro.
I have been searching for one just like it and sure enough I found one in great shape. Same size, year and color. I'm not telling daughter, but I'm going to buy it and have it around when he is ready. Ok, maybe for me too. Lol
I ran the wheels off of mine and had a blast with it. Of course I had multiple crashes too which is funny thinking back on it but something that I wish for grandson not to go through. I'm kind of thinking grandpa may need a 1974 Yamaha 360 to match grandsons for future rides together.
So, are there any old Enduro guys out there and have you rode one lately. Maybe I'm remembering better bikes than what they really were but what do you guys think and remember.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:20 PM   #2
kazoocruiser

Re: Any old Enduro riders out there

Never had a Bultaco but if I had, i probably would have killed myself on it.
1981 Harley Davidson.
Credentialed, semi-retired A.S.E. technician. If you don't like free advice, Ask Someone Else and pay for it.
kazoocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:38 PM   #3
Coley

Smile Re: Any old Enduro riders out there

Ha!...a Yamaha 80 enduro, man that's what I wanted as kid/young teen. A friend of my Dad's had a fair amount of money and used to have a garage full of toys including a couple of these.

When we would go to visit he would let me ride it....loved that thing! There was no way that I could afford one at the time and was very unlikely my parents could/would afford it for me....so I had to rely on trips to this guys house.
Interestingly despite the dirtbikes he didn't have any sons....just three daughters, which had its own upside for me as well.

As for your daughter...she'll get over it. Absolutely show him the bike, introduce it to him on how to ride it and take him for a few spins. He will never, ever forget that...now in this day and age of 'modern parenting' more than ever, this is needed.
Young kids, certainly boys and young men are kept far too far away from this type of excitement for it to be healthy.....let 'em ride!!

all good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:40 PM   #4
Jrainman

I here what you are saying , I still ride off road a lot if your looking for a good old very dependable machine , that would be excactly fit style riding you and your grandson want to do , I would strongly steer you towards a Honda XR model they made them from 75cc to 450cc the engine is virtualy bullet proof low maint , and the bikes in general are very well made . they were produced from the mid 70s to till the mid 2000s and they have great resale value , the reasom why I am steering you towads the XR is that OEM parts are still avalible ,honda makes parts for there bikes for a long time VS Yamaha. and most other MC companys , Yamaha only makes parts for ten years after production is stoped

Last edited by Jrainman; 03-31-2019 at 09:46 PM. Reason: add
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:57 PM   #5
shp4man

Former Hodaka Ace rider here. I almost died several times on it. Fun, though.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:02 PM   #6
'63GENIII

I started out on a 1985 XR 80 and a 1991 yz 80 back when I was maybe 9 or 10. Fast forward to 7 years ago, got my son a 2007 CRF70. Semi automatic. He rode the wheels off of it until we got the 2004 XR80 R. I was riding a 1997 ATK 350 when he was on the 70. It allowed me to spend way more time with him and also meant way less time for him on the video games.

These days he's on a 2001 KDX 200 - he likes they way the 2 stokes come on when spooled up. Me, not so much. Im on a 2004 CRF 250X. Both bikes were picked up for under 1,200$ in pretty decent shape. The memories are priceless though.

He turns 14 this year and I turn 50. He's gotten pretty fast on that green bike. Let's just say Ive become a more "technical" rider after a crash last year left me 4 hours from home with a dislocated shoulder, a forest fire moving into our camp and us having to bug out quick with my then 12 y.o. son shifting the truck the whole way home. Like I said...the memories are priceless.

We keep em all in an enclosed trailer that's set up for camping. Keeps the bikes and all the gear out of the elements and together when not in use.

I too would recommend the XR or CRF platforms as you'll end up riding more than wrenching or looking for parts.

All that said, wish my grandfathers were like you!
Attached Images

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:08 AM   #7
truckster

I used to have a 75 Honda Elsinore that I had a lot of fun on. That was a long, long time ago. I do appreciate you bringing back the memory.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:33 AM   #8
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoocruiser View Post
Never had a Bultaco but if I had, i probably would have killed myself on it.
You brought back memories mentioning Bultaco.
About 1971 I had a 68 250 Matador, it was a real tractor for it's day, but it seemed I could never get used to the shifter and foot brake being on the wrong damned side.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:36 AM   #9
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by shp4man View Post
Former Hodaka Ace rider here. I almost died several times on it. Fun, though.
1970 my brother bought a brand spank'n new 100cc Super Rat!
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:32 AM   #10
cornerstone

Started off on a mini bike in 1977, then to a sears moped in 1979 and taco'd the frame (apparently your not supposed to jump them?), on to a brand new $350. honda spree in 1984 from my paper route cash where I learned to ride wheelies all the way to school. Next was my first real enduro, a 84 yamaha XT350, made it street legal and rode the snot out of it. Someone wanted it much more than me and paid me way to much for it so I thought I would move into a MX bike and bought a 78 RM250.... that thing was so fast it was scary. Then I stayed on several used suzukis for a while and eventually bought a brand new 2004 RMZ 250F and promptly blew it up (as a lot of them did) with only 30 hours on it. Since that thing stayed in the dealership waiting on parts for at least 6 months, I thought I needed a new 2005 CRF450X because if ts electric start and a headlight. What a torque monster that bike was... by then I was 40 and after a few trips over the bars by jumping entirely farther than I had planned, I decided it was time to chill out a bit and would only ride 250 4 strokes anymore...so I got a new 07 rmz250. This was my favorite bike EVER! Until I fell in love with supermoto in 2007 and got a new Suzuki DRZSM 400 and had the most fun I've ever had on 2 wheels. This bike is borderline a dog out of the box but can easily be modded into a capable hooligan machine. Taking that bike to several race tracks with friends was a bunch of fun. Now my 07 RMZ250F was fairly clapped out so the new 2015 Yamaha YZFX 250 was calling my name, and I switched back to a real enduro... electric start, 6 speed, and fuel injected!

But these days I really like to ride my 09' HD Ultra Classic with the stereo playing a Willie Nelson CD. I never thought I would want to ride such a fat, loud bike, but... age does a lot of things to us that we don't see coming our way.

Sorry you asked? lol.
Brian

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:37 AM   #11
LeesTruk

Back in the day, I used to race enduro's. Actually had a competition license from NETRA. Had two machines that I really liked because they were light, highly maneuverable, and good low end torque. Kawasaki KX175, and Honda XR200, with the latter being the best of the two. Now I'm approaching 72, and retired. Look what I have now;
Attached Images

LeesTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #12
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Before I went into the service I rode hare scrambles and a couple motocross. I had the first year Honda Elsinore 125 (I believe 73). Also had a Zundapp 125 I ran occasionally. The Elsinore was just killing things back then. NO camera back then, but this is what mine would have looked like, minus tons of dirt and mud.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #13
Red71gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeesTruk View Post
Back in the day, I used to race enduro's. Actually had a competition license from NETRA. Had two machines that I really liked because they were light, highly maneuverable, and good low end torque. Kawasaki KX175, and Honda XR200, with the latter being the best of the two. Now I'm approaching 72, and retired. Look what I have now;
Ok, you just peaked my interest. What is that beautiful Yamaha you have.
I have to get my old Yamaha for grandson as that is my memory and want to see him on one of those. With that said, I definitely remember the Honda's beating my Yamaha in performance back in the day. All the way down to me failing a straight up climb that a Honda 75 (I believe) did. That's when I back flipped it. It only seemed right as I had forward flipped it before so why not.
It's funny, numerous wrecks and no broken bones. Only a few dreaded leg burns from that darn high mounted muffler. Something tells me I may break a little easier these days so maybe I will be a tad more reserved.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:11 AM   #14
LeesTruk

The Yamaha is an SCR950. A one year only machine (2017), but apparently not a big seller. I guess it only appealed to us "Olde Pharts". You can still find them at dealers if you look. And the price is usually 50% or less of the original price ($8699). it was advertised as a Scrambler, 942CC v-twin, and heavy. You DON"T want to take this heavyweight into the woods!!
LeesTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:06 PM   #15
NorCalC20LWB

Had one of these back in the late 70's/early 80's. Fun little 2 stroke. 1977 DT 250.
Attached Images

NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #16
Jrainman

Quote:
The Yamaha is an SCR950. A one year only machine (2017), but apparently not a big seller. I guess it only appealed to us "Olde Pharts". You can still find them at dealers if you look. And the price is usually 50% or less of the original price ($8699). it was advertised as a Scrambler, 942CC v-twin, and heavy. You DON"T want to take this heavyweight into the woods!!
Yea this old fart went and looked at the SCR ,real nice machine , but my hart went to 2018 Kawi Z900 cause I had a 1975 Z900, I have had so many bikes and still have a garage full of them , picked up this Yamaha a couple years ago
Attached Images

Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #17
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
Yea this old fart went and looked at the SCR ,real nice machine , but my hart went to 2018 Kawi Z900 cause I had a 1975 Z900, I have had so many bikes and still have a garage full of them , picked up this Yamaha a couple years ago
Nice! I had an 1971? RD 200. I think it was a 71. My CRS is kicking in.Fun little bike. I should have never sold it.

I also had a Elsinore, and a little Honda Enduro that I got off a buddy for something like fifty bucks. I'd like to have them all back now. But it seems the prices have gone nuts on the old bikes now. They used to be cheap.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:58 PM   #18
jeffahart

I would Definitely stick with a thumper. I would pick up a nice used XR50. Perfect for that age. Will last a couple years then you can bump up a few CCs. The old bikes don't compare to the new stuff. You can get air on most of these new bikes right off the shelf stock... and not break the frame, or your back!

j
Old 04-01-2019, 06:58 PM   #19
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
I here what you are saying , I still ride off road a lot if your looking for a good old very dependable machine , that would be excactly fit style riding you and your grandson want to do , I would strongly steer you towards a Honda XR model they made them from 75cc to 450cc the engine is virtualy bullet proof low maint , and the bikes in general are very well made . they were produced from the mid 70s to till the mid 2000s and they have great resale value , the reasom why I am steering you towads the XR is that OEM parts are still avalible ,honda makes parts for there bikes for a long time VS Yamaha. and most other MC companys , Yamaha only makes parts for ten years after production is stoped
I've owned several of these in the last dozen years. They're bullet proof. When you're done riding, if you'll close the fuel petcock while it's still running and let it run until it dies you'll likely never have any trouble out of it. (It's amazing how long they'll idle on just the gas in the bowl.) That will prevent any ethanol problems, and that's about the only trouble you'll have with an XR/CRF. They also hold their value very well. I never had any trouble getting my money back out of them when one was outgrown.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:01 PM   #20
cornerstone

If you haven't already bought the old 2 stroke Yamaha 80, I suggest you reconsider to a newer bike. I know you are excited to teach him to ride, but at 5 years I'd say that is way to much for him. If you want that relic for yourself then get it! It would be a lot of fun to reminisce but then clean it up and make it your man cave wall art. I have a friend who owns a local bike shop and asked him to keep his eyes out for a 78 RM250 (my first real dirt bike) so I could do the same, that is, reminisce and hang it on the wall. He called me about a year later and told me he found one, but it was only a 125. I went ahead and got it, rode it 2 or 3 times and that was all I needed out of that. There is such a huge difference in todays bikes and bikes that are 40 years old.

For your grandson, I would suggest an XR 50, or if you want to stay with Yamaha get him a PW50. These bikes will make him want to ride as opposed possibly scaring him and potentially get him hurt. The suspension and power delivery is so much better it is quite amazing.

I totally agree on getting him a Honda. I bought a 2013 XR 100 for my 14 year old son a few years ago. Its really hard to break it that's for sure. He primarily rides his bicycle these days, so it's my go to bike when I just want to go check things out around the place. Like 68Timber said, they are nearly maintenance free...

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #21
kazoocruiser

I just realized that every-time this thread gets updated, I am reminded that Yes, i am an old Enduro rider, with more emphasis on the old part than I would care to admit. I guess I would be an old Enduro rider, riding an old Enduro if it were the same bikes. My first motorcycle ride was as a tyke on the back of a 60's Honda CL-350, on a grass field. It was far less work and far more fun than baseball cards and close-pins were on a bicycle. I was addicted at age 10 or so and addled ever since. My first solo was on a 3.5 hp B&S Rupp-type mini-bike with the ding-ding clutch. What a blast that was. A scrub brake? Who cares. A Suzuki M-55 2-stroke step-through scooter came along and I was floating like a butterfly. I then acquired a basket case (literally 3 apple baskets) for $50.00 which eventually was reconstructed into a Honda SL-100. Can you see where this madness leads? Over years, here is the history:

Motorcycles I've owned

In Michigan
Suzuki M55

Honda SL 100

Yamaha RD 250

Yamaha RD 350

Honda 175 CL (x2)

Honda 175 SL

Yamaha TX 650

In Georgia

Honda 450 CL

Honda CB 550-4

Honda CX 500 (x2)

Suzuki 175

Kawasaki 175

BMW RT-800

Kawasaki 650z SR

Kawasaki KDX-80

Yamaha PW-50

Tomos Moped

KTM 175

Yamaha U7E

In New York

Tomos Moped

Harley Davidson
1981 Harley Davidson.
Credentialed, semi-retired A.S.E. technician. If you don't like free advice, Ask Someone Else and pay for it.

Last edited by kazoocruiser; 04-01-2019 at 09:12 PM. Reason: additional cogitation
Old 04-01-2019, 09:26 PM   #22
kazoocruiser

Cool Old Enduro rider safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
. . .

if you want to stay with Yamaha get him a PW50. These bikes will make him want to ride as opposed possibly scaring him and potentially get him hurt. The suspension and power delivery is so much better it is quite amazing.
I remember on my PW50 that the throttle has a place where a bolt screws in to limit throttle operation to a governed amount. There are also training wheels available that bolt to either side of the machine to hold it upright. You can do a search on E-bay for "PW50 training wheels" to see the listings and what is available.

I didn't know about the throttle stop and saw the face of a terrorized kid rocket off into the woods on the back of the bike when he wrist-locked the throttle.

You have to be hyper-careful with kids who know nothing about machinery. You don't want your daughter hating you if someone gets hurt.
1981 Harley Davidson.

Last edited by kazoocruiser; 04-01-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:28 PM   #23
Red71gmc

Quote:
I already looked it up and your right. Apparently they were not a hit, but me, like you see the old fart obvieance. I guess they should have only made two. One for us both as I think I must have one.
They probably went overboard with it being a 950 and so heavy. I would have settled for half. That bike does represent the true enduro even being so big.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:46 PM   #24
Red71gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
I would Definitely stick with a thumper. I would pick up a nice used XR50. Perfect for that age. Will last a couple years then you can bump up a few CCs. The old bikes don't compare to the new stuff. You can get air on most of these new bikes right off the shelf stock... and not break the frame, or your back!

j
You are probably right, and I have looked at the new stuff in small calibers. It just isn't the same for me anyhow. All I see is plastic, which I completely agree is good for performance. I just would love to see grandson on the old metal rolling along.
I did cheat and bought him a new yamaha 50 ATV. With taming it down after all the parental controls to 5mph I figure daughter will be much more at ease until we break out the bigger guns.
It's definitely different now. Putting a young kid on a motorcycle would be a way of getting the govt. after you for being a bad parent. Back in my day, it was a way of actually teaching kids something. Not just some independence, but how to fix your screw ups before dad found out. Lol
Old 04-01-2019, 11:02 PM   #25
Red71gmc

Re: Old Enduro rider safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoocruiser View Post
I remember on my PW50 that the throttle has a place where a bolt screws in to limit throttle operation to a governed amount. There are also training wheels available that bolt to either side of the machine to hold it upright. You can do a search on E-bay for "PW50 training wheels" to see the listings and what is available.

I didn't know about the throttle stop and saw the face of a terrorized kid rocket off into the woods on the back of the bike when he wrist-locked the throttle.

You have to be hyper-careful with kids who know nothing about machinery. You don't want your daughter hating you if someone gets hurt.
Point taken and understood. I was going to wait till he is 7-8 or showing signs he can handle it. I got mine a 7-8 but will fully admit it was probably a few years to soon. I crashed a lot and this was from a kid operating tractors at the same age with no issue.