The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2019, 10:28 AM   #1
Bean Counter

Shelf life of primers?

Dumb, DUMB question time - I have some PPG epoxy and high-build primer, sitting in the original cans, never mixed. It's been kept in a cool environment, never subjected to temp changes or humidity. Any suggestions on what the shelf life might be on these? I know I've had it several years but can't remember exactly when I bought it - but I'd like to use it now if it's still viable.

Thanks,
David

Next project - 1953 Chevy 150 2 Dr Sedan.
https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/s...hp?tid/355913/
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
pwdcougar

Re: Shelf life of primers?

I thought I read on one of my cans of PPG DX primer that it was only good for a year un opened.
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #3
72bowtiestepper

I would mix a small amount up & spray a scrap sheet metal part that was clean...after drying try sanding it & if it seems OK, use it. I have paint & primer a LOT older than 1 yr. that I have used with good results.
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #4
MARTINSR

The hardener is the BIG deal, if it's been opened and exposed to oxygen, that's the issue.

Ok, this is coming from a former paint rep and painter for many years:

What is the WORK worth to overcome a failure? I don't know about your extra time from making a living and family but mine is DAMN valuable and worth MUCH more than what that primer is worth!

I recently threw out a few thousand dollars in primer, clear, paint and hardener. I had many gallons of clear and primer. And these hardeners were never opened. I just thought, I am not going to work my butt off and get something finally painted to have it fail. It's not worth it, it's just not worth it. The way I look at it is if I were to apply it to a few fenders over bondo work and all and it were to fail, what would I pay to make it all go away and not have the extra work of stripping it all down and re-doing it? I'll tell you what, I would pay a hell of a lot more than what that primer costs thats for sure!

Check out SPI https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/ I have been getting epoxy primer from them now for the last few years. It is an AWESOME product, I mean really super. They ship for free, it's on my door step in a few days, done deal. I will be getting my paint and clear from them when I am ready for that.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #5
Foot Stomper

Call your local PPG distributor and give them the batch code and ask them.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:20 PM   #6
MARTINSR

That is a good answer too Foot Stomper! IF it hasn't been open though. That makes all the difference.

Brian

Old 04-08-2019, 06:14 AM   #7
Bean Counter

Thank you, everyone, for the help. I'll check with PPG - but I'm pretty sure that the primer will be out of date. And I certainly don't want to take a chance on screwing up my latest project. My dad always told me to do things right the first time - so I'm confident that I'll be picking up some new primer very soon.

Thanks again,
David

Next project - 1953 Chevy 150 2 Dr Sedan.
https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/s...hp?tid/355913/
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #8
Dead Parrot

If you have a buddy that uses his truck to haul stuff, offer to repaint the inside of his bed for free as a test for your paint. It is going to get scratched up anyway so if something goes bad with the paint, no real loss.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #9
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Thank you, everyone, for the help. I'll check with PPG - but I'm pretty sure that the primer will be out of date. And I certainly don't want to take a chance on screwing up my latest project. My dad always told me to do things right the first time - so I'm confident that I'll be picking up some new primer very soon.

Thanks again,
David
Funny story with my dad on this subject. My dad has been gone now 15 years. I used to stay at their house over the weekend when the live in nurse was off. One afternoon I was making them lunch and there was some hamburger that looked old in the fridge. I asked him how old it was, he said "No big deal just cook it, that's three dollars of meat." I said to him "How much would you pay to make you feel good if you woke up in the middle of the night vomiting?" LOLOLOL He looked at me and I could see he "got it" and he said "Throw it away." LOLOLOL

Brian

Old 04-08-2019, 03:24 PM   #10
72bowtiestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
If you have a buddy that uses his truck to haul stuff, offer to repaint the inside of his bed for free as a test for your paint. It is going to get scratched up anyway so if something goes bad with the paint, no real loss.
Great Idea ! Like I said in a earlier post...I have used paint & primer years old with no bad results, but I don't paint vehicles for a living...just my own stuff as a hobbiest, so proceed with caution if you decide to try using it.
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote