The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
nrb's70gmc

Stories That Make You Smile

Back in 1999 when i started high school, like many kids you start thinking about getting your driving licence and thinking about your first car.

i was no diffrent, i wanted a 1967-72 k20-k30 (3/4-1 ton 4wd gmc)

i wanted a gmc vs chevy (like the 4 headlights better)
i wanted a 4wd vs 2wd (based on weather ware i live)
i wanted a 3/4-1 ton vs 1/2 ton (hard to beat dana 60 rear axle)

with this all said, above all else i wanted the truck 3/4-1ton regardless 4wd or not
i ended up with a 2 owner 1970 gmc 3/4 ton 2wd 350ci/th350 combo
its a pretty cool truck
factory a/c
two saddle tanks under bed sides
tool box on side of bed
tool box in back of bed
big elephant ear mirrors
had trailer brake set up (factory option?)
had cruise control (factory option?)

had a $300 baby blue macco paintjob.

Its basiclly been a daily driver since 2001 (when i baught it)
put a crate long block in it 2004. put thorley headers and magnaflow mufflers (ive driven it (est 20,000 since i baught truck.

up untill summer of 2016 i really didnt do much to it except for regular maintnece stuff.

painted whole truck light primer gray (roof gloss white) (still needs body work done)

This post is getting long, i just wanted to give you a little back ground on my truck. (its not a show winner by any means)

The point of this post is that no matter the condition of my truck their has always been someone that has commented me on it.

my truck sort of rocks with the lope of the motor at idle (like driving though parking lot in gear) old dudes always give me the thumbs up and it makes me smile.

gas stations high school kids in there hondas come up to me and say nice truck.

older men and woman will knock on my window and make it a point to tell me they like it or it sounds beautiful.

of course they cant see the rotted rocker panels holes in the bare metal floor or that my leg hurts from fighting a failing brake booster with 4 wheel drums.

maybe my truck stands out to them to me just primer gray but it makes for a positive day when someone says something.

i could spend $50,000 on my truck in one day if i had it. but all these people old and young remind me that you dont always need to have a ton of money invested for it to be nice.

every compliment i get i always smile and say thank you.
I just wanted to know if anyone else had stories like this. Driving around in a less than steller truck but someone usually random will compliment you on it.

It will always make me smile.
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)
nrb's70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:00 AM   #2
Barnfind46

Re: Stories That Make You Smile

I learned to drive in my Dad's 68'back when the truck was only 7 years old. Got my first car (66' mustang) but still loved to take my Dad's truck out.Years later after he had sold it I had to have one.Now I have my '68. Bought it in 2003. Love every time I get behind the wheel.Glad to see the younger folks enjoying the same things I did when I was young.Enjoy your truck! You will have plenty of help here keeping it on the road.

Last edited by Barnfind46; 12-01-2017 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Missed a word or two.
Barnfind46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:01 AM   #3
bigdog55

I bought my GMC in 2011(1/2 ton long bed).It barely ran and needed a paint job and body work. My brother and I have steadily worked on it to keep it on the road. It still needs a lot of work. Like yours mine gets a lot of attention and it seems like somebody always wants to buy it. I am having too much fun with it to get rid of it.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:19 AM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

A few things. You started high school in 99 .. my oldest was 18 in 99. I think I'm one of those old dudes you're talking about haha. I also had a vehicle with a Maco paint job when I was a kid. It was 49.95 doh! And lastly my truck isn't a beauty queen, not even close. Several colors etc. Of all the trucks Ive owned I get more thumbs up, cool truck, love your truck, on and on then any truck Ive owned. I think its cool of course, but my wife is dumbstruck lol. I was driving it the other day and it was pouring down rain, and for a NW guy to say that, it really was coming down. Guy driving his car towards me rolls his window down and sticks his arm out in the rain and gives me a thumbs up .. crazy!

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:34 AM   #5
nrb's70gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog55 View Post
I bought my GMC in 2011(1/2 ton long bed).It barely ran and needed a paint job and body work. My brother and I have steadily worked on it to keep it on the road. It still needs a lot of work. Like yours mine gets a lot of attention and it seems like somebody always wants to buy it. I am having too much fun with it to get rid of it.
It's a amazing feeling. Last person that gave me a thumbs up was a old lady looked a little rough around the edges with no teeth but still made me smile.
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)
Old 12-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
FRCvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrb's70gmc View Post
It's a amazing feeling. Last person that gave me a thumbs up was a old lady looked a little rough around the edges with no teeth but still made me smile.
LOL I have had some of these myself.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #7
weq92f

Enjoy it! I think these things just have universal appeal.

Just about every time I'm out in my '67, somebody gives me the 'ol thumbs up or otherwise compliments the thing. It's amazing.

I'll not forget my first one with this truck. Was passing a Big Rig on the freeway when the driver stuck is rather large arm out the cab window with a big thumbs up as I passed by! He was paying attention in the rear view and knew exactly what he was seeing!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #8
Orange67

I've had my 67 for approximately20 years altogether, and almost every time I drive it I get a positive reaction.

Last week I met an 88 year old gentleman in the local supermarket parking lot, and it all started with him waiting for me to get out so he could ask me what year it is. From there, I learned he'd had a 70, had been working on aircraft for 60 years (that's 16 years longer than I've been alive). Really neat guy, and I wouldn't have met him without my truck!

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:08 PM   #9
bad 71 chevy

Right there with ya Guys drove 1200 miles to trailer my truck back home and I was that dude pulling a cool old truck with every body giving me the head nood or the thumbs up. It strange to think that other people enjoy how and what I have done to my truck.
2.5" Front Drop and 4" in the back
Edelbrock perfomer rpm manifold
Edelbrock 600 cfm carb
Headmen headers
bad 71 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:33 PM   #10
wilkin250r

I drove my father's 72 back in high school. I think originally it was designed as a camper special, but them 4:10s in the back would launch it off the line, so it was always more of a hot-rod, especially with the raked front end of the 2wd.

Some transmission issues parked it for several years, until it was sold to a good friend of the family (young kid, 19) and we parked it in my garage and put many hours and many dollars (and beers) breathing new life into it. This was also the point that my daughter fell in love with this truck, she was about 14 at the time.

My daughter is now 19, in the Army, and she has never forgotten about that truck. So I went and talked to my friend, negotiations were made and a deal was struck. So I've been able to re-aquire this same 72 that I drove in high school, and will soon be passing it on to my daughter.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2017, 12:54 AM   #11
nrb's70gmc

Cool stories guys. Very enjoyable to read
Old 12-02-2017, 01:00 AM   #12
nrb's70gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkin250r View Post
I drove my father's 72 back in high school. I think originally it was designed as a camper special, but them 4:10s in the back would launch it off the line, so it was always more of a hot-rod, especially with the raked front end of the 2wd.

Some transmission issues parked it for several years, until it was sold to a good friend of the family (young kid, 19) and we parked it in my garage and put many hours and many dollars (and beers) breathing new life into it. This was also the point that my daughter fell in love with this truck, she was about 14 at the time.

My daughter is now 19, in the Army, and she has never forgotten about that truck. So I went and talked to my friend, negotiations were made and a deal was struck. So I've been able to re-aquire this same 72 that I drove in high school, and will soon be passing it on to my daughter.
My truck has the 4:10's as well. Buddies in high school and even now could never beat me off the line in their Hondas. With 245/75/16 tires. Theirs a fine line between hooking up and spinning. Have to roll off from a red lights when it's raining.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:29 AM   #13
cleanfreak

I've got all those same stories. Key that I see here in the first post is the "smile and thank you" to the stranger that took the time to do the same.
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:15 AM   #14
bigdog55

Not only do I get attention driving it, I seem to collect a crowd while working on it,
Old 12-02-2017, 11:19 AM   #15
FRCvette

And don't forget the crowd it draws at gas station while getting gas.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote