The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Rollback! Oh my!

I stopped and talked to him about a year ago. He said he would sell it for $3800.00 which I thought to be to much at the time.

I stopped by again with a friend and we looked at it and he said to let him think about it. He wasn't sure if he wanted to sell it now! He cranked it right up with a couple of pumps of the gas pedal.

Has a 350 in it now with HEI and dual exhaust. Truck looks pretty solid but has the typical rust in the doors and corners.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
leftybass209

Re: Rollback! Oh my!

That's a great find!

Every day it sits, the rust spreads and makes it just that much more expensive and involved to replace.

That'd make a nice restored rollback, perhaps to haul around a red long bed maybe??
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Rollback! Oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
That's a great find!

Every day it sits, the rust spreads and makes it just that much more expensive and involved to replace.

That'd make a nice restored rollback, perhaps to haul around a red long bed maybe??

That's the plan!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:16 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Golf carts!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Rollback! Oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Golf carts!

Most likely both! Ha!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 07-24-2015, 12:55 AM   #6
ekgguy

Take the bed cover off the longbed, put the golf cart in the longbed, put the longbed on the rollback...

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=672655

"Father thank you for the gathering of friends, Father we give thanks for all the choices we've made because that's what makes us who we are, let us forever cherish the loved ones we've lost along the way and most of all THANK YOU FOR FAST CARS!"
ekgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:09 AM   #7
Jurassic-1

That would make a nice hauler. I think you should buy it.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:22 AM   #8
BC10

That looks pretty sweet. I'd buy it for that price!
BC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:06 AM   #9
cherokeejohn

Do you know what kind/brand of bed it is on it? It looks like a decent buy to me, judging from the pics. I drove tow trucks for almost 6 years and by far roll-back's are my favorite. The versatility and uses are endless, and they tend to be good at making at least some of your investment $$$ back too. If it ends up in your driveway, I hope there will be a build thread. Great find!
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeejohn View Post
Do you know what kind/brand of bed it is on it? It looks like a decent buy to me, judging from the pics. I drove tow trucks for almost 6 years and by far roll-back's are my favorite. The versatility and uses are endless, and they tend to be good at making at least some of your investment $$$ back too. If it ends up in your driveway, I hope there will be a build thread. Great find!
Haven't had much luck with him knowing a lot about it are either he has forgotten it. The guy is in his late 70's are early 80's. He said he bought it new, just like it is, I don't know if they ever sold them new like this but everything looks like it would have come on it. I didn't see any tag on the bed though. The ramps are on roller's under the bed and it has a tool box made into the bed on drivers side. Not very big but can put hand tools and breaker bar inside it.
Interior is about like I expected, seat has a big rip right in the drivers side. Has the 4 speed with heat only. Non tach dash but has the gauges.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 07-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #11
MARKDTN

So does the bed move hydraulically and "roll back" or is it a fixed flatbed that you winch/drive a car up ramps? Or a dump flatbed?
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:51 AM   #12
cherokeejohn

The majority of tow trucks on the eastern side of the country came from Raliegh NC. I don't remember the name of the company but I've made several trips myself down to pick up a new tow rig. They buy the cab and chassis, the utility body/beds, booms, and winch's from the factories and install, set up, and sell them right there. You can take a tour of the whole plant. They mostly use Dynamic and Jerr-Dan set ups now-a-days, but 30+ years ago there was quite a bunch more manufacturers (Holmes was a very popular brand name thru-out the 70s). There should be a small tag somewhere on the bed that will tell the info on Who, where, what it is along with the weight and hauling capacities. the tags are typically near the control area. Anyhow, if you can get some more pics of the bed a little closer I can show it to my step-brother who owns the tow/repo' business I worked for and he will probably know right away what kind it is. He's been in the business for 37 years now. It's definitely a great find! It would be a good candidate for a 8.1 liter LS swap , Maybe painted to match your 71.
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeejohn View Post
The majority of tow trucks on the eastern side of the country came from Raliegh NC. I don't remember the name of the company but I've made several trips myself down to pick up a new tow rig. They buy the cab and chassis, the utility body/beds, booms, and winch's from the factories and install, set up, and sell them right there. You can take a tour of the whole plant. They mostly use Dynamic and Jerr-Dan set ups now-a-days, but 30+ years ago there was quite a bunch more manufacturers (Holmes was a very popular brand name thru-out the 70s). There should be a small tag somewhere on the bed that will tell the info on Who, where, what it is along with the weight and hauling capacities. the tags are typically near the control area. Anyhow, if you can get some more pics of the bed a little closer I can show it to my step-brother who owns the tow/repo' business I worked for and he will probably know right away what kind it is. He's been in the business for 37 years now. It's definitely a great find! It would be a good candidate for a 8.1 liter LS swap , Maybe painted to match your 71.
I will try and get some more pictures of it as soon as I can. Working all weekend long so it maybe Monday before I get back by there.
The bed is fixed doesn't move. There is no winch but I can add that later. I was going to leave it pretty much as is and just clean it up good make it road worth and use it for local car shows with the 71 on it. the owner says the brakes need work. manual brakes now but I will install a booster if I do buy it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 07-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #14
Redline novdog

That's way cool. I can't imagine hauling a car with the manual brakes. Maybe that is why they to go inspection. Back in the day. Sweet lookin' hauler!!!
Old 07-25-2015, 07:49 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Since the bed is stationary, this isn't a rollback. It's a ramp truck, or more like car hauler, since there is no dovetail and bed is level. Hodges is the big builder of this type of body in KY. Many of these beds are home made. I see this truck has the later disc brake wheels with the 9/16" stud holes. I wonder what was done there. The original studs are 7/16" and the lug nuts were flat-backed castle-type. The later wheels used a spreader ring with bevels for the chamfered lugs. I ran into this on a '70 C/30 I had that I put chrome Budds on. First I just used chrome acorn nuts, then I did a full brake job and had a machine shop bore new holes for 9/16" studs.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 08-30-2016, 08:50 PM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Rollback! Oh my!

Old post but thought I would update. We bought the truck for $3500.00! I have it at my buddies shop to get the front brakes working and carb rebuilt. Once I get it back I will start on the cosmetic stuff.
I have to come up with a name for the door's also. Going to leave it just like it is for now and just get running good and water tight again. Needs all gaskets swapped out.

Any thoughts.
A couple of mine.
Fisher Classic's
Fisher's Garage
Classic Towing

Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-31-2016, 06:05 AM   #17
Boog
laying low

Andy's hauling
not for hire
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:55 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

In the same script as on your door emblem Custom Carts, but maybe letters starting bigger to smaller ramped up to the right on an arc. Done so letters look chrome or just silver and shadowed. You could write "Fisher's" (or "Andy's") at top left in smaller script in other color, like orange or bright blue.

You could put at the bottom, Upstate ~ Beach, SC

Tim

Old 09-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #19
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
In the same script as on your door emblem Custom Carts, but maybe letters starting bigger to smaller ramped up to the right on an arc. Done so letters look chrome or just silver and shadowed. You could write "Fisher's" (or "Andy's") at top left in smaller script in other color, like orange or bright blue.

You could put at the bottom, Upstate ~ Beach, SC
I like the way you think. Tim!

If I ever get the darn thing back I have new exhaust to install. New 40's Flow masters already with down pipes. Took them off the 64 Impala and saved them for this reason.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-23-2016, 12:10 AM   #20
100%Chevy

If you up-grade the brakes,i'd go with hydroboost.
I have them on my 82 hauler.
Best stopping truck I've owned!
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:58 AM   #21
YBNORML

Nice purchase!

I vote for something along the lines of Pop's Hauling. With the rate your pops is buying vehicles, it won't be long before you can put her to use. Or, what were the names of the divisions that he was part of back in the day? Maybe something along those lines, pay some respect to his history. That would be pretty cool.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67

Last edited by YBNORML; 09-23-2016 at 01:15 AM.
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:26 AM   #22
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Chevy View Post
If you up-grade the brakes,i'd go with hydroboost.
I have them on my 82 hauler.
Best stopping truck I've owned!
Mike.
I have been thinking that's the way to go on this truck. Just have to get time to go yard hunting for everything.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-23-2016, 04:10 AM   #23
Ironangel

"Fishers Repo & Recovery" Nice score Andy!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:27 AM   #24
Warrens69GMC

Nice score!!
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #25
JimmyFloyd

awesome truck. Glad you were able to make it happen.