The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
handy67

Help or direction with Lower Control Arms please??

Hi guys, newbie here. Im currently working on my 67 c10 project and it is my first bagged truck. So the problem i have is with the stock front crossmember the rear is sitting a lot lower when fully aired out. I've done some research and seen where guys on here have done things from using an 8" ID pipe to lay down in the control arm and weld in to let the bag sit down inside. I've also seen guys cutting out the entire center of the LCA out and boxing it down 3" for the bag to sit down on also. My problem is i am running an 8" slam bag on the front of the truck and with the 2" cup it is sitting on when its fully aired out the back on the bag is slightly rubbing the control arm. Im pretty sure im going to go the route of cutting the center out and boxing out and down on the control arm. Ive tried searching for different things but if anyone has any other info or lessons learned or links that i can look at different things it would greatly be appreciated. And on another note this site rocks and im getting tons of good useful info for my build. thanks and god bless
handy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #2
dec010974

Re: Help or direction with Lower Control Arms please??

Good morning handy67. I have the same problem. I will watch this thread closely. I haven't cupped my lower control arms because I'm thinking porterbuilt front drop member. The things is the funds aren't available right now. I'm running belltech 3 inch lowering spindles, 2600 air lift bags, with the the stock front suspension. My front crossmember can be lowered another 3 inches, I think but my oil pan is in the way. I'm running a lq4/th400 set up. Do you have drop spindles? Have you removed your front inner fenders? What size wheels are you gonna run? If you are running stock,15x8 stock rally's, Have you modified your lower arms for turning radius? Clark.
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
handy67

hey dec010974, i think i worked through most of it and removed the lca's to box them out and drop the bag down inside them. im running slam bags in the front and after putting it up on the lift i saw were the back of the bag was rubbing the very back lip of the control arm even with the 2" cup on the bottom. yes i have the inner fender wells removed, yes im running stock rally's, no i dont have drop spindles yet. this is my first c-10, my last truck i worked on was a 66 f100 so the suspension on this truck is completely different, but i think a lot better. i do have disc brakes on the front so maybe after i see the difference in boxing out the lca and sitting the bag down in it makes, drop spindles may be the next step i take.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
dec010974

hey can handy67, can i see pictures odf your ride? also, how were you able to work on your vehicle in the NE? The NE was hammered with cold, nasty weather. What part of Maryland are you from? I have family in Fort Washington, and Elicott.
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
handy67

Yeah it's been a nasty winter here. Luckily my dad has a big garage I was able to keep the truck in and work on over the winter. As soon as I get the control arms back on and truck down on the ground I will post some pics up
Old 03-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
handy67

heres a shot of the truck after i boxed out the lower control arms. still can be a little lower but im right at sitting on the cross member and control arms
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2014, 01:19 AM   #7
michael bustamante

I did the same thing to my 67. I ran the cups with 2600 dominator bags and they didnt touch the lca but I did have to trim the 1 1/4" sway bar 3/4" on both sides to clear the bag. (Swapped to 72 disc brakes also)