The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
slimjim66

towing build '66 (6.0LS swap)

hey guys, new to the site... I've got a 66 long bed stepper that i just bought. the truck was 100% original from factory. it was pulled from a barn in western canada last spring and made its way to my place few months ago. along with the '66 i bought a 2003 silverado 2500HD that i already tore the engine and trans out of.

little info on the '66, the body is in decent shape, has some rust holes where they all seem to rust (rockers, cab corners, bottom of fenders) all this will be addressed and fixed although trying to keep the patina look the truck has. the frame is nice and solid no rot or noticeable bend or damage from looking at it.

plans..... i want to use this truck to haul my car and trailer to shows. its a tandem 18" car hauler with a 5000lb car on top. is there anything i should be looking at or is there any known problems these things have when towing?

things I've bought so far....
- 13" ccp front and rear disc conversion
- rear air bags and air management system.
- front and rear suspension bushings,joints,bearings ect ect...
- class 3 hitch
- trailer brake controller

the truck will be on 22x9 wheels (already have them from another truck) the motor will be the 6.0 LQ4 LS based motor. it will be fully rebuilt along with transmission and have enough jam to be moving this trailer with ease.

is there any cross bracing or gusseting i need to be looking at while the box and body are off the truck? i might keep the front as static suspension or maybe just do the whole truck on bags. have people C notched the frame while towing and had good luck? have guys Z'd the front of the frame and had good luck?

im a metal fabricator by trade so all the work will be done by me, i have the tools and knowledge to make it happen. just looking for anyones experience or info if any for what i want to do. i see a few picture on the net of c10's hauling show cars around so i know people are doing it. i can't be the first.
-
slimjim66 is offline   Reply With Quote