The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
lotussutol

which would you do?

I currently have a ford 8.8 limited slip rear with 3.73 gearing. it is stock with drum brakes.

I can get a 69 camaro rear with aftermarket axles, posi or limited slip... and 4.56 gears for next to nothing.

Here is what my concern is...

Rear End Ratio: 4.56
@ Desired MPH: 65
Tire Diameter (Height) in Inches: 27
Over Drive Ratio (1 for no OD): .7
RPM at Given MPH: 2582

@ Desired MPH: 75
RPM at Given MPH: 2979

It is still under 3k so it seems like it should be ok. right?

normally the truck will be an around town cruiser but I will be driving it to the coast and vegas some too.

EDIT...part of the appeal of the camaro rear is that it is the same bolt pattern as the front.
1952 Chevy Coupe Deluxe car

Last edited by lotussutol; 10-05-2007 at 02:11 PM.
lotussutol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
mcarrel

Re: which would you do?

I thing the 4.56 is way too low gear if you want to make any trips. I would go with the Ford 8.8 w/3.73 that is what I have. Should cruise at a nice RPM on the highway. Talk to Richard at North Race Cars http://northracecars.com/ he can make you new hardened axles for the 8.8 with any bolt pattern you want I think it was about $150. make sure the width of the axle will work for your application. My project here http://www.tagworld.com/azmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotussutol View Post
I currently have a ford 8.8 limited slip rear with 3.73 gearing. it is stock with drum brakes.

I can get a 69 camaro rear with aftermarket axles, posi or limited slip... and 4.56 gears for next to nothing.

Here is what my concern is...

@ Desired MPH: 65
RPM at Given MPH: 2582

@ Desired MPH: 75
RPM at Given MPH: 2979

It is still under 3k so it seems like it should be ok. right?

normally the truck will be an around town cruiser but I will be driving it to the coast and vegas some too.

EDIT...part of the appeal of the camaro rear is that it is the same bolt pattern as the front.
mcarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
lotussutol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarrel View Post
I thing the 4.56 is way too low gear if you want to make any trips. I would go with the Ford 8.8 w/3.73 that is what I have. Should cruise at a nice RPM on the highway. Talk to Richard at North Race Cars http://northracecars.com/ he can make you new hardened axles for the 8.8 with any bolt pattern you want I think it was about $150. make sure the width of the axle will work for your application. My project here http://www.tagworld.com/azmark
i asked him about it...he said since mine is for a exploder the stuff he makes disc brake wise if for the mustang 8.8

another guy i know has a brand new rebuilt 8.8 with 4.10 gears, aftermarket axles, rebuild kit, with disc for a few hundred bucks...i may just use my stock 8.8 and save my money.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
mcarrel

I also almost went with the Ford Exploder rear axle (they are the right widthmany with disk) but I found out the pinion is off set by like 2 1/2 I didn't like that. May work ok but I wanted the pinion centered. Good luck finding what you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotussutol View Post
i asked him about it...he said since mine is for a exploder the stuff he makes disc brake wise if for the mustang 8.8

another guy i know has a brand new rebuilt 8.8 with 4.10 gears, aftermarket axles, rebuild kit, with disc for a few hundred bucks...i may just use my stock 8.8 and save my money.
mcarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
lotussutol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarrel View Post
I also almost went with the Ford Exploder rear axle (they are the right widthmany with disk) but I found out the pinion is off set by like 2 1/2 I didn't like that. May work ok but I wanted the pinion centered. Good luck finding what you need.
yeah i have heard of people buying two and combining them...they end up with a shortened and wider rear. wonder if it really works.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

just have a machine shop redrill your ford axles for the chevy pattern and press in new studs

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
pgf545

You could get the Camaro rear end and chang the gears to something smaller. It will have the 4 series carrier so I think the smallest gear would be a 4.11. It looks like you are using a overdrive transmission so that would also kill some of the gear ratio. If the price is right then a gear swap might be cheaper than buying axles.

Bernie