The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2018, 10:36 AM   #1376
First c10

Re: Rat repair.

Hey Mike, I believe just the button and the red sleeve pop out and the new one with the wire and spring pop in it's place.
Attached Images

1970 C10 Yellow/White Deluxe LWB w/ 5.3L-LC9/6L80E
1968 K10 LWB Dark green my son calls it "THE HULK Jr"HULK JR *SOLD*
GO GO!!!
First c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:26 AM   #1377
swamp rat

Thanks for the reply! I emailed Grant tech support last week and he said that plunger would pull straight out. I got sidetracked by working this weekend and it kicked my butt a bit but I had the wheel mounted last night, then today I filed 3 notches on the fiber washer which allowed me to push the horn button on then twist the horn button about 10 degrees away from the notches. I did some searching and I guess one of the kits has these notches nut my kit didn’t.

I gotta say trying to communicate with Grants customer service quite frankly sucks, they don’t reply to your back order questions. The mount kit and horn button I ordered were both on back order, I checked my account and it said the kit was available but not the horn button, I emailed and asked if they could just cancel the button and ship the mount kit, they just canceled the whole order, no explanation , no reply, just a cancellation email. Just as well, right after I ordered the kit and button I found the button. 🙄

Started mounting my Aries Step Bars, got the drivers side roughed in but still need to drill the frame on the lower lip for 2 support bracketsand tighten this side up but ran outta daylight, will try and finish these tomorrow ( famous last words ? ). Hate to say it but with my legs these are absolutely nessasary. 😊
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:37 AM   #1378
rgunlock

I hear ya on the steps Mike. At least you didn't have saddle tanks to contend with. Progress is looking good!

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:38 PM   #1379
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
I hear ya on the steps Mike. At least you didn't have saddle tanks to contend with. Progress is looking good!
Thanks!

I got them both mounted today, in the mid day sun.. I moved the rat from under a car cover in the dirt to out in the side yard which is dry and yellow, with a little dirt They are a little more flexible than I expected but they do the job, I figure the flexing is due to being mounted to the front and rear cab mounts and then tied to the frame

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-27-2018, 12:21 PM   #1380
DD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Thanks!

I got them both mounted today, in the mid day sun.. I moved the rat from under a car cover in the dirt to out in the side yard which is dry and yellow, with a little dirt They are a little more flexible than I expected but they do the job, I figure the flexing is due to being mounted to the front and rear cab mounts and then tied to the frame
I like the step rails. Where did you get them from?

Your interior looks sharp!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:41 PM   #1381
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
I like the step rails. Where did you get them from?

Your interior looks sharp!
Made by a company called Aries, they make them for all the C10, C20, K20’s etc, I assume just different mount brackets to accommodate the different frames and cab mounts, I will say I think the tubes are a bit thin and I think the foot step is just snapped into the cutout as it is plastic, but I don’t know of any other steps for the truck.

I think next on my list will be pulling the windshield and having a local glass company come out and replace it, hopefully there won’t be any bad surprises. Yes I know I should have popped out the windshield right after I did the rust repair but I wasn’t thinking ahead.

It’s Good Guys car show weekend, so I’ll probably have to go have a look.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-27-2018, 10:08 PM   #1382
DD1

Quote:
Made by a company called Aries, they make them for all the C10, C20, K20’s etc, I assume just different mount brackets to accommodate the different frames and cab mounts, I will say I think the tubes are a bit thin and I think the foot step is just snapped into the cutout as it is plastic, but I don’t know of any other steps for the truck.

I think next on my list will be pulling the windshield and having a local glass company come out and replace it, hopefully there won’t be any bad surprises. Yes I know I should have popped out the windshield right after I did the rust repair but I wasn’t thinking ahead.

It’s Good Guys car show weekend, so I’ll probably have to go have a look.
I don't know if you need a glass company to help with the window. My understanding of the windshield for for these trucks is that you get the rubber for it, and the windshield basically gets secured between the rubber and the windshield frame. I don't think you need to glue it or anything. I could be wrong, but I would check it out first.

I searched on this forum and found various threads about installing the windshield. You might want to do a search.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #1383
swamp rat

Quote:
I don't know if you need a glass company to help with the window. My understanding of the windshield for for these trucks is that you get the rubber for it, and the windshield basically gets secured between the rubber and the windshield frame. I don't think you need to glue it or anything. I could be wrong, but I would check it out first.

I searched on this forum and found various threads about installing the windshield. You might want to do a search.
There are good YouTube videos on it, its still a 2 man job maybe 3 with a lifted truck like mine.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #1384
swamp rat

Cut the old inside rubber outta the way on the sides and top of my cracked up windshield and popped her out, gotta admit I was a little nervous about the condition underneath but after I pulled the windshield off then I wiped it all down with mineral spirits and had a good look it put a smile on my face

I did however have one bad area that didn't pass the pick test but it got to solid metal within about a 3/8" square, the rest of the seal area cleaned up real nicely, there were a number of very small bubbled paint areas that I hit with a scotch disk to expose the surface pit then I applied GEM Rust Killer with a paint brush to let it work its magic.

I also had a couple small bubbles inside the cab that got the same treatment.

Had to stop for the day, hope to weld the hole in tomorrow morning...
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 07-28-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #1385
swamp rat

I was a bit disappointed at the fit of all the panels on my cab but I know they aren't perfect, I did take an aluminum drift and gave the upper seam a few love taps where the seal lays to get a smoother transition, I also squeezed the bottom together a bit with some plyers.

The seams will get some seam sealer applied before the new windshield is installed.

Sorry about the sideways pic's but my computer is fighting me.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-30-2018, 12:53 AM   #1386
swamp rat

Red face Re: Rat repair.

Another long hot day, I cut a piece of metal to fit the hole I made in the driver side window opening, first I roughed it then I got out my stud gun and planted a body work stud puller bit on it so I had a handle to work with, then I ground metal to fit the opening, and welded it in place.

Then I ran up town and got a smaller paint gun at Harbor freight #46719, Then masked the heck outta the truck and draped a tarp over the seat and dash and made a cardboard insert for the back side of the opening. Cleaned and set up the new $13 gun and mixed up way too much paint... I got to say I am very pleased with the performance of this gun, I set it to have no fan shape and it was very controlled in the spray pattern.

When I was putting on the step bars I noticed that I had some spots that needed welding up on the inner rocker where I had some sheet metal screws, I figured while I had the welder out I better take care of that too so moved some plywood pieces under the truck and proceeded to get plenty of weld burns on the back side of my arm as every hot piece of weld splatter would hit the thin plywood and roll right into me Once done I scuffed the area and sprayed it with the K2 primer as well being as I had mixed up way too much primer earlier.

I don't mind saying with all the trips up and down the step ladder and up and down under the truck in the heat today took its toll on my legs and feet, its an Ibuprofen night for sure.

Next up I have to do a bit of work to the middle section and the inside of the truck, that's gonna be fun
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-30-2018, 09:58 AM   #1387
DD1

Hey Mike, what are you using as a paint booth - looks like an outdoor car tent?

Also, you mentioned that it took you 5 years after joining the forum to get used to doing rust repair. How long have you been working on this truck? I think this year will be the 7th anniversary of getting my rust-bucket.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:53 AM   #1388
swamp rat

Quote:
Hey Mike, what are you using as a paint booth - looks like an outdoor car tent?

Also, you mentioned that it took you 5 years after joining the forum to get used to doing rust repair. How long have you been working on this truck? I think this year will be the 7th anniversary of getting my rust-bucket.
Not to get used to it but to convince myself I could do it.

No paint booth anymore, I tore it down as I needed the space in my garage (where my truck doesn't fit), My trucks home is nothing more than the cheap car covers you can get at Harbor Freight or Pep Boys. Since I have started working on the truck to now the side yard has become a dry dusty dirt pile, far from ideal.

I lost track of time for how long I have been working on this truck but this repair thread was started on sept 2013, I think I joined about 2007? but I think the rust repair was about 2.5 years alone maybe longer if you include the down time, it took longer doing the first side than the second.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-30-2018, 06:36 PM   #1389
rgunlock

Slow and steady wins the race! Your windshield frame repair looks good.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #1390
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
Slow and steady wins the race! Your windshield frame repair looks good.
And that’s what’s happening cause it’s so darned hot!

My first layer of seam sealer in the windshield frame, it’s cured and shrank down so I need to apply more. The windshield install company said they would prefer I drove my truck there rather than send out a couple installers, I mentioned the windshield was already out and she said as long as I have eye protection it’s ok to do so. When that time comes it ought to be fun..... I am also not done with the windshield pinchweld yet, thinking I may fill the bigger gaps with seam sealer along with some paint touchup I have jet to finish. I will be ordering a shield and gasket from Classicheartbeat.com and go pick them up when the time comes.

Got a question for you all, I have a used windshield sitting on top of my other truck, would it be stupid or dangerous to pad up the edges with a few layers of duct tape and lay it into the windshield channel with a layer of duct tape on the outside to hold it in place before driving it to have the new windshield installed?

I pulled my hood out of its storage spot, the outter paint faired pretty nicely but the inner not so well, I’ll need to do a quick (LOL) prep and black paint here before I reinstall.

My air conditioning unit I used this when I sprayed Eastwood’s Internal Frame Coating above the windshield Via the sun visor holes, I layed out a lot of rags to be safe but I did get a drop on my dash pad which is only in fair condition anyway, the can from Eastwood comes with I believe an 18’ plastic tube with a spray nozzle, I removed the nozzle and found a long length is plastic hose long enough to reach the center, the stuff takes a while to dry so I came back 2 days later and repeated, and if you look at the assy breakdown you know there is a extra part inside, I did my best to spray the stuff on both sides of that part
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 08-11-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #1391
DD1

Quote:

Got a question for you all, I have a used windshield sitting on top of my other truck, would it be stupid or dangerous to pad up the edges with a few layers of duct tape and lay it into the windshield channel with a layer of duct tape on the outside to hold it in place before driving it to have the new windshield installed?
How far away is the glass place? It should be fine with the duct tape, but I would not drive at highway speeds like that. Driving without the windshield is probably about the same as driving a motorcycle. But I don't do that at high speeds without the visor down.

For a second I thought the white fan was your A/C system.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #1392
swamp rat

Quote:
How far away is the glass place? It should be fine with the duct tape, but I would not drive at highway speeds like that. Driving without the windshield is probably about the same as driving a motorcycle. But I don't do that at high speeds without the visor down.

For a second I thought the white fan was your A/C system.
About 20 miles? I can do back roads.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #1393
DD1

Quote:
About 20 miles? I can do back roads.
You should be fine. Just take back roads and do 30-40 MPH. Don't do anything to draw attention to you. Worse case the glass falls out and breaks - not that big of a deal.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:42 PM   #1394
swamp rat

Well, I knew it would be a much cooler day today so I took the day off.

First up was to do a little touch up smoothing to the seam sealer, then spray with more primer sealer, didn’t take any pic’s.

Next up is a job I have been dreading, stripping the old paint off the inside of my hood, I went downtown yesterday and picked up an assortment of rust and paint removal disks, brushes and grit inpregnated fiber type rotary brushes and went to town on the thing, talk about one dirty job! I also was sure to keep moving around to minimize any heat build up. I tried about everything I bought, and used up what was working best about 1/2 way done, had to clean up a little and drive my old dirty truck up town to buy more stuff. Went through that and decided to call it a day, still not done yet but it’s close.

I learned a big lesson today, once you remove a rag from your rag supply box never ever put it back in that box. When I started working on the pinch weld I grabbed a bunch of rags and laid them alover the dash, carpet and steering wheel and column, unfortunately there was some type of chemical on the rag laying on my brand new column and it damaged the powder coat :/ the only thing I can do is leave it or sand the powder coat and paint it but I have no idea at this point if powder coat and spray paint are compatible..
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-14-2018, 12:48 AM   #1395
DD1

Quote:
Well, I knew it would be a much cooler day today so I took the day off.

First up was to do a little touch up smoothing to the seam sealer, then spray with more primer sealer, didn’t take any pic’s.

Next up is a job I have been dreading, stripping the old paint off the inside of my hood, I went downtown yesterday and picked up an assortment of rust and paint removal disks, brushes and grit inpregnated fiber type rotary brushes and went to town on the thing, talk about one dirty job! I also was sure to keep moving around to minimize any heat build up. I tried about everything I bought, and used up what was working best about 1/2 way done, had to clean up a little and drive my old dirty truck up town to buy more stuff. Went through that and decided to call it a day, still not done yet but it’s close.
Nice job on the hood. Why did you decide to remove the paint that way vs. sandblasting it?
Old 08-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #1396
swamp rat

Quote:
Nice job on the hood. Why did you decide to remove the paint that way vs. sandblasting it?
Because if it’s done incorrectly the hood will oil can and at this point I don’t know who to trust. The other reason is the place I did find they blast than powder coat, not sure how well K2 primer would adhear to primer.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-19-2018, 06:51 PM   #1397
swamp rat

Got the inside of the hood painted, so I can mount it now, but I need to clean up some old bolts first as I ran out of new stock.

Pulled the grill and gave it a quick bath, it’s gonna need some work before it goes back on.

Trying to decide if it’s worth the effort to fill the spaces between the windshield pinch welds with seam sealer, I’m referring to any place there is a gap to fill as I already filled and painted the normal overlapping areas.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-19-2018, 09:57 PM   #1398
DD1

Quote:
Got the inside of the hood painted, so I can mount it now, but I need to clean up some old bolts first as I ran out of new stock.

Pulled the grill and gave it a quick bath, it’s gonna need some work before it goes back on.

Trying to decide if it’s worth the effort to fill the spaces between the windshield pinch welds with seam sealer, I’m referring to any place there is a gap to fill as I already filled and painted the normal overlapping areas.
The hood looks NICE!
Old 08-20-2018, 01:05 AM   #1399
swamp rat

Quote:
The hood looks NICE!
Its got a couple runs but hey its a hood!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-24-2018, 10:13 PM   #1400
swamp rat

Looking over the Grill naturally the outside supports have rust on them, the inner is better but still ugly, this lead to a parts order for the hardware kit to take it apart, got a few more screw and stuff coming too.

The hood is on, I thought I had already posted this but I'm working on lubing them back up and getting the grit out of the pivots from the sand blasting for a couple days.

We have been in such a smoked filled area with all the wild fires that I have chosen to stay inside a few days while waiting for parts so not much getting done..

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's