The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

Replacement tank

Ok, I give! The stock tank on my 1960 suburban developed another pin hole leak. Guess it's time to replace. I'm looking for something that is a fairly direct replacement, if that's possible.

Is it the mid 70's-81 blazer tank that fits and what is required for the conversion? Looks like I can get them on Amazon for $90. I realize I'd need sending unit and straps. Am I correct about this and is that a 30ohm our can I put my reostat on it?
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:37 PM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Replacement tank

You will need a '69-'72 Blazer tank with a 0-30 ohms sending unit. Most of the aftermarket parts sellers offer that tank as a conversion tank for the '63-'66 trucks as a complete kit.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:51 PM   #3
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
You will need a '69-'72 Blazer tank with a 0-30 ohms sending unit. Most of the aftermarket parts sellers offer that tank as a conversion tank for the '63-'66 trucks as a complete kit.
I've seen those kits but my concern is several sites seem to say they won't work on the 60-62 because the frame is wider. I'll back up a little and say one site might have said you might get it to work with custom made straps. What I'm wondering is if I couldn't take a piece(s) of angle or flat steel and make the opening narrower, basically run these parallel and inside of the frame. Then instead of mounting the ends of straps to the frame rails mount them to the new supports.

Hope that makes some sense....
Old 05-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
MASTERBrian

If this makes any sense, this is what I'm thinking. Adding Angle Iron to 'reduce' the width of the frame for mounting purposes. I could move the tank left/right to help with fill nozzle attachment if need be. Lift the tank in place and clamp the angle and drill and bolt it in place. Then hang straps from the angle iron vs the frame.

Any thoughts or input from anyone that has installed these blazer tanks in their 60-62 would be helpful....especially if I'm up against any thing else. The other bonus is I guess I'll have a larger tank and able to move it further from the tail pipe. The negative is I loose ability to mount spare under bed and I loose about an inch or two of
ground clearance.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2017, 11:50 PM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

For some reason I didn't read that you have a '60. Yes you could add some steel supports as you drew if you were to use the '69-'72 Blazer tank. I think Boyd's Welding makes a tank for the '60-'62's. They are very nice but aren't cheap. They are a forum vendor. Another option would be something like this.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd216.htm

I'm not sure how those dimensions would fit in the area you have to work with. They also make other sizes of universal tanks.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:06 AM   #6
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
For some reason I didn't read that you have a '60. Yes you could add some steel supports as you drew if you were to use the '69-'72 Blazer tank. I think Boyd's Welding makes a tank for the '60-'62's. They are very nice but aren't cheap. They are a forum vendor. Another option would be something like this.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd216.htm

I'm not sure how those dimensions would fit in the area you have to work with. They also make other sizes of universal tanks.
I liked through all the boyds welding tanks, or someone very similar, and want sure. Also not positive hire they'd fit. Looked at several other options, like 89 keep yj, etc. End of day, I settled on lmc blazer tank. I'll add supports and hopefully be going again soon. I'll try to add pics of mods.