The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
98sonoma

New looking for help

Hello, I've been looking for a C10 for a while that I can work on with my boys as they get older. I found a 72 C10 SWB for $2500. They guy said the ID in the glove box doesn't match the original VIN. How big of a deal is this? I'd like to eventually tear the whole thing down to the frame and build it from the ground up. Now the guy doesn't want to share the VIN for some reason. Should I be worried? It's a 4 hour drive to even check it out. I can post pics of that would help. Just looking to see if I'm being taken or not. Any advice would be appreciated.
98sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #2
98sonoma

Re: New looking for help

He did share the first 6 of the VIN. Matches the description he gave me so far. CS142B
Old 07-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
mgm60

Just like Firedemon says, the VIN tag should be on the cab in the drivers side door and on the frame by power steering pump. I've looked at some rough examples that still had the VIN on the frame. I've also seen some trucks that didn't have the original VIN tag on the door but had a "replacement" tag from the state where the truck was titled. For that price and with your plan to restore you should go take a look anyway and you may be able to solve the VIN issue while you verify if the truck is really worth the price. Probably a good investment in an 8 hour round trip. I've gone farther.
mgm60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #4
98sonoma

Old 07-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #5
jocko

Unless you see the rosette rivets, I'd walk away. But I'd probably walk away anyway. There are projects just as nice for that price - not worth the hassle to deal with a hesitant seller and a mixed VIN soup. To register it, I'd remove the glove box door beforehand personally to avoid confusion.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #6
98sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Unless you see the rosette rivets, I'd walk away. But I'd probably walk away anyway. There are projects just as nice for that price - not worth the hassle to deal with a hesitant seller and a mixed VIN soup. To register it, I'd remove the glove box door beforehand personally to avoid confusion.
Aww, not what I wanted to hear! lol, I'm having a hard time finding a decent shaped SWB truck within a day's worth of driving for under $4k that isn't a complete rust bucket.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:07 PM   #7
jocko

Sorry. There's no guarantee it's a swb truck - could be shortened frame or a cab swap onto a swb frame, shortened bed, added real swb bed to a shortened frame, who knows. I'm not at home or I'd crosscheck the gvwr for a swb c10 - don't recall if it's the same as the lwb. I don't see any other way to verify it was originally a swb truck without a SPID unless you inspect it.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:19 AM   #8
Dmaxmoe

Is it just me or does it appear that none of the body lines match up and the panels are all tweaked up?
Dmaxmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:22 AM   #9
NoNeck

In photo 3, I swear that I can see a faint vertical line in the area where a long wheel base would be cut to shorten(?).

Also, in that last photo, the rear wheel looks to be too far forward in the wheel opening(?). There is a LOT of filler behind the passenger side bed panel too.

I'm not bashing the truck, just making observations.

POP

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:35 AM   #10
98sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeck View Post
In photo 3, I swear that I can see a faint vertical line in the area where a long wheel base would be cut to shorten(?).

Also, in that last photo, the rear wheel looks to be too far forward in the wheel opening(?). There is a LOT of filler behind the passenger side bed panel too.

POP
Bash away. This is what I need to hear to get educated. Thanks for the tips. The more I read, the more I worry about this truck in particular.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:43 AM   #11
98sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeck View Post

POP
The truck in this ad has the rear wheels forward in the wheel well also. https://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/6203885963.html
Old 07-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #12
Coley

Smile Re: New looking for help

I agree with most of the other comments.
My observations relate to the pic of the full side of the trick, 3 things standout
1) The paint forward of the rear wheel well looks new and in great shape ...possibly signs of the 'shortening' process?..where it would be cut/welded/filled and repainted, etc.
2) The wheel well looks likes its about 1"-2" too far back relative to the wheel centreline.
3) Its a leaf spring truck...instead of a trailing arm coil spring. Nothing wrong with this but these might have been easier to shorten than the trailing arm style? ...experts can weigh in on that.

So:
Ask the seller if this truck was shortened/modified down from a long wheel base truck?...and if he isn't sure....then prompt him to take 15-20 seconds and check the frame for patches and the strapping plates or post a couple of quick pics of it under there for you.
If he isn't up to this....then he isn't a seller to deal with. Move on and be patient there are a lot more trucks out there.

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #13
98sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
I agree with most of the other comments.
My observations relate to the pic of the full side of the trick, 3 things standout
1) The paint forward of the rear wheel well looks new and in great shape ...possibly signs of the 'shortening' process?..where it would be cut/welded/filled and repainted, etc.
2) The wheel well looks likes its about 1"-2" too far back relative to the wheel centreline.
3) Its a leaf spring truck...instead of a trailing arm coil spring. Nothing wrong with this but these might have been easier to shorten than the trailing arm style? ...experts can weigh in on that.

So:
Ask the seller if this truck was shortened/modified down from a long wheel base truck?...and if he isn't sure....then prompt him to take 15-20 seconds and check the frame for patches and the strapping plates or post a couple of quick pics of it under there for you.
If he isn't up to this....then he isn't a seller to deal with. Move on and be patient there are a lot more trucks out there.

All Good
Coley
Thanks for the input. I'll see if he can get me some frame pics.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #14
midniteblues

Without seeing it in person it's hard too tell.

I don't believe the bed was cut as there is no indication of any stake pockets or welds inside the bed.

Most times the rear wheels always look too far forward but this one seems "off" just by the pic. It could also be the angle of the pics but the cab-bed gap looks off too. But if someone put the bed on a short end frame then why didn't they try too push the front panel back better than it is.

One thing is for sure that driver side rocker looks way off.

I would certainly check the driver and passenger side inner cowl for rust as some is evident on the firewall.

I'm curious as too why the power booster isn't hooked up.

The fenders definitely weren't lined up.

This could be a good deal for a swb but a good look around it would really tell the story.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #15
98sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
Without seeing it in person it's hard too tell.

I don't believe the bed was cut as there is no indication of any stake pockets or welds inside the bed.

Most times the rear wheels always look too far forward but this one seems "off" just by the pic. It could also be the angle of the pics but the cab-bed gap looks off too. But if someone put the bed on a short end frame then why didn't they try too push the front panel back better than it is.

One thing is for sure that driver side rocker looks way off.

I would certainly check the driver and passenger side inner cowl for rust as some is evident on the firewall.

I'm curious as too why the power booster isn't hooked up.

The fenders definitely weren't lined up.

This could be a good deal for a swb but a good look around it would really tell the story.

More pictures added to this album.
https://imgur.com/a/52xtb
Looks like the frame hasn't been cut to me. The rivets look good too...I'll head down Saturday AM and check it out in person. Anything else I should look at?
If I pick it up, I'll have to get a build thread going along with some ideas on where to even start! lol
I can't thank you all enough for your help though.

Last edited by 98sonoma; 07-06-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #16
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Any seller that won't be up front with anything when it comes to numbers should be avoided at all costs. There is a reason why they are being shady as hell.

The alternator is on the wrong side so the engine is either a later model transplant with a long water pump, or it could be a later model frame and engine combo.

When someone won't divulge numbers it means you're about to get a crap deal.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #17
98sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Any seller that won't be up front with anything when it comes to numbers should be avoided at all costs. There is a reason why they are being shady as hell.

The alternator is on the wrong side so the engine is either a later model transplant with a long water pump, or it could be a later model frame and engine combo.

When someone won't divulge numbers it means you're about to get a crap deal.

Gary
He's been pretty good about answering my messages and giving me pics of whatever I ask for, he just didn't want to send the full VIN for whatever reason.
What I did see of the VIN said it was a 6 cylinder truck originally, so the 350 is definitely not original. Guy claims he is asking for what he paid for it because he has medical bills. I did get a video of the engine running. I couldn't detect any odd sounds from it while it was running.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #18
98sonoma

I'm not really thrilled about the vodka bottle or whatever it is under the hood, lol.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #19
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Tell him to send you a pic of the frame under the cab and also a pic of the VIN stamped on the frame.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #20
98sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Tell him to send you a pic of the frame under the cab and also a pic of the VIN stamped on the frame.

Gary
So there should be a VIN near the steering box? From what I read the one above the cab is not visible while the cab is on...
Old 07-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #21
Mollzyie

My 2 cents .... it gets to a point where it is what it is ... esp at that price and it's running ..... looking for a good father son project ... there u go .. plenty to do there ..... few things that are good to know like if bed was cut down ... if it was it's not that big of a deal ... so long as u know . Is frame straight ? ..... hopefully vin number matching title works out .
Old 07-06-2017, 04:24 PM   #22
98sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollzyie View Post
My 2 cents .... it gets to a point where it is what it is ... esp at that price and it's running ..... looking for a good father son project ... there u go .. plenty to do there ..... few things that are good to know like if bed was cut down ... if it was it's not that big of a deal ... so long as u know . Is frame straight ? ..... hopefully vin number matching title works out .
He said he has a clear Indiana title on it. I'll be sure to check as much as I can when I get to see it in person.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #23
66clow

I wouldn't waste your time going to look at it. Rust repair may be easier. Everything is way off. That rocker is about 1-2 inches lower than the cab corner. Like others have said the wheels are not sitting where they are supposed to sit. I think you will be repairing or replacing everything you would as if it was a rust bucket because things aren't put together right. The way the seller is acting it could be a nightmare trying to getting it registered. I'd keep saving or keep looking.
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:20 PM   #24
randy500
Account Suspended

The bed was almost certainly not shortened as the front of the wheel well at the bottom is square and there are no center stake pockets on the bed rail, nobody ever fixes those things and most certainly not both items
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #25
98sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
The bed was almost certainly not shortened as the front of the wheel well at the bottom is square and there are no center stake pockets on the bed rail, nobody ever fixes those things and most certainly not both items
Thanks for the info.
I'm getting some mixed signals from everyone, lol. Is this worth pursuing or should I look for something else?