The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
Isaiah92260
Registered User
 
Isaiah92260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 693
New water pump and overheating. What gives?

I just replaced that water pump on my 62í 235 and now itís overheating.
I made sure the block and radiator are full with coolant. I even went a replaced the new thermostat I put in 2 weeks ago and put in another new 180 thermostat

She still is overheating. I canít figure it out.

Before I replaced the pump, it ran fine and stood very cool. I changed it because the bearing was bad and it was making a loud hissing sound.

What do you guys think?
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
cru_zn_29
Senior Member

 
cru_zn_29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Yucca Valley Ca.
Posts: 668
Re: New water pump and overheating. What gives?

With the motor running can you see coolant flowing? If it is not flowing remove the thermostat. Run it again to see if overheats.
cru_zn_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:57 PM   #3
Isaiah92260
Registered User
 
Isaiah92260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 693
Re: New water pump and overheating. What gives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cru_zn_29 View Post
With the motor running can you see coolant flowing? If it is not flowing remove the thermostat. Run it again to see if overheats.
Yes itís flowing. With the cap off I can see the coolant spiraling inside
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:59 PM   #4
Isaiah92260
Registered User
 
Isaiah92260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 693
Re: New water pump and overheating. What gives?

I also have been burping it by squeezing the lower radiator hose. I got it to where Iíve got no more air bubbles coming out.
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:27 PM   #5
kazoocruiser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 82
Re: New water pump and overheating. What gives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah92260 View Post
I also have been burping it by squeezing the lower radiator hose. I got it to where Iíve got no more air bubbles coming out.
The heater core is a big fat air bubble that will make a mess out of engine cooling until it is burped.

You have to run the engine at a fast idle, with the heater control on high heat, and wait until both hoses are hot. Shut the engine off, wait until it is cool, then remove the radiator cap and refill the radiator.

That might be part of why you are having trouble.
kazoocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #6
Isaiah92260
Registered User
 
Isaiah92260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 693
Re: New water pump and overheating. What gives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoocruiser View Post
The heater core is a big fat air bubble that will make a mess out of engine cooling until it is burped.

You have to run the engine at a fast idle, with the heater control on high heat, and wait until both hoses are hot. Shut the engine off, wait until it is cool, then remove the radiator cap and refill the radiator.

That might be part of why you are having trouble.
Thatís Boss I completely forgot about the heater. I forgot to mention that the heater went out on me and was leaking on the inside for a coupon weeks now. So I decided to bypass it last night.

After that, the temperature gauge completely went out on me...-,-

Maybe it was giving me a bad reading this whole tome.
Do you happen to know how I can get a new one?
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #7
Rickysnickers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Poway, CA
Posts: 676
Re: New water pump and overheating. What gives?

My suggestion, when burping the engine, is to leave the radiator cap off and let the engine run. Also turn on the heater. It's a bad idea to take the radiator cap off a hot engine. You could get scalded.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #8
Isaiah92260
Registered User
 
Isaiah92260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 693
Re: New water pump and overheating. What gives?

So after doing some research. I’m starting to believe that my radiator is clogged. It’s the original brass top radiator. Inside with the cap off, with no coolant inside, it has that rust brownish color.

The last 3 times I’ve drove it, it ran great and ran cool. I have the original temp gauge which says it’s in the middle or sometimes a little below that.
But now yesterday it started to over heat and so I shut it off. Let it cool down then took it to go get gas when it was cool but then started over heating

I have a brand new thermostat and water pump, and burbed the system with the heater bypasses. Also the last few times I’ve driven it while it was running cool, you can see the coolant circulating inside. Now it’s not, and when i squeeze the lower radiator hose, the water doesn’t mover or rise with any pressure

So I just get a new Aluminum 2 Core Radiator from champion radiators that I’m waiting to install.

Will I have to flush out the block from coolant before I install the radiator, and if so, how do a someone perform that procedure?

Last edited by Isaiah92260; 01-11-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #9
Isaiah92260
Registered User
 
Isaiah92260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 693
Re: New water pump and overheating. What gives?

I swear Iím having so many problems with that Motor. Iím starting to think it has mind of itís own!
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:57 PM   #10
Isaiah92260
Registered User
 
Isaiah92260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 693
Re: New water pump and overheating. What gives?

Yeah this thing is definitely clogged
Attached Images
 
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:53 AM   #11
Isaiah92260
Registered User
 
Isaiah92260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 693
Re: New water pump and overheating. What gives?

I just installed a Aluminum 2 core radiator. And itís still over heating, does anyone happen to know what that problem could be? When I rev the motor I can see the temp needle raise every time
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:40 AM   #12
shp4man
Registered User
 
shp4man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 456
Re: New water pump and overheating. What gives?

Problem started right after you put the water pump on? Why did you replace the pump? Leaking?
Is it the correct part # pump? Or maybe a bad water pump out of the box.

Edit: Looks like you needed the radiator anyway, so no worries there. And ya, flush the block out if you can.
__________________
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.
shp4man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #13
Isaiah92260
Registered User
 
Isaiah92260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 693
Re: New water pump and overheating. What gives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shp4man View Post
Problem started right after you put the water pump on? Why did you replace the pump? Leaking?
Is it the correct part # pump? Or maybe a bad water pump out of the box.

Edit: Looks like you needed the radiator anyway, so no worries there. And ya, flush the block out if you can.
Yeah right when I put in the new pump :/ because the bearing was squealing like a pig really loud on the old pump.

Awh I hope itís not a bad pump, I got it off of rock auto using make and model of the motor.

Okay maybe I should flush the block and if that doesnít work then I could be the pump.

So you know how to flush the block?
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #14
TJ's Chevy
Chevy I6 and GMC V6 Nuts
 
TJ's Chevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Next to my bench at the shop, Oregon.
Posts: 10,149
Re: New water pump and overheating. What gives?

Does the motor actually feel extremely hot?
My temp gauge went nuts on my 64 GMC after I resealed the motor. Ever since I popped in a new sending unit the resistance or ground has never been right. The gauge will peg to Hot and the engine is only 150 degrees!
Might grab a temp sensor and see if the gauge is lying.
Also if the radiator was plugged you have to consider that the heater core may be plugged as well.
__________________
"6 in a row makes it go!"
"I prefer a buzzin half-dozen"
1966 Chevy C10 "Project Two Tone" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=596643
1964 GMC "Crustine" semi-build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=665056
My youtube channel. Username "Military Chevy": https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_h...fzpcUXyK_5-uiw
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #15
Grounded63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 22
Re: New water pump and overheating. What gives?

If your engine is running lean ( new carb, which may not be tuned or jetted correctly ) or if you have an excessive vacuum leak. It will run hot. Also if your initial timing or advance is not set, or working correctly it can also cause it to run hot. It seems like you may have a few interrelated issues that need to be addressed or confirmed to be correct.

Last edited by Grounded63; 01-13-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Grounded63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #16
Isaiah92260
Registered User
 
Isaiah92260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 693
Re: New water pump and overheating. What gives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
Does the motor actually feel extremely hot?
My temp gauge went nuts on my 64 GMC after I resealed the motor. Ever since I popped in a new sending unit the resistance or ground has never been right. The gauge will peg to Hot and the engine is only 150 degrees!
Might grab a temp sensor and see if the gauge is lying.
Also if the radiator was plugged you have to consider that the heater core may be plugged as well.
Wow I never thought of that. I just put in a new temp sensor, maybe I should get those temp laser guns and also a aftermarket temp gauge with numbers to see.
The heater core I bypassed so that would be something to not consider. I bypassed it because it was leaking inside the cab
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #17
Isaiah92260
Registered User
 
Isaiah92260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 693
Re: New water pump and overheating. What gives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grounded63 View Post
If your engine is running lean ( new carb, which may not be tuned or jetted correctly ) or if you have an excessive vacuum leak. It will run hot. Also if your initial timing or advance is not set, or working correctly it can also cause it to run hot. It seems like you may have a few interrelated issues that need to be addressed or confirmed to be correct.
Awh man okay. I set the carb like the book says 2 1/2 turns back. And I sprayed starting fluid around the manifold and carb where I believe it could have a vacuum leak and had no signs of it. I have not checked the timing yet though. Iíll check that next once itís not raining here in So cal !
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #18
shp4man
Registered User
 
shp4man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 456
Re: New water pump and overheating. What gives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah92260 View Post
Wow I never thought of that. I just put in a new temp sensor, maybe I should get those temp laser guns and also a aftermarket temp gauge with numbers to see.
The heater core I bypassed so that would be something to not consider. I bypassed it because it was leaking inside the cab
The temp sender from some sources isn't accurate and will read hotter than reality.
That might very well be the issue.
__________________
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.
shp4man is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com