The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #26
Rubble

Re: Rear Differential

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76k10 View Post
I run 3.07s with 35s and a 350. I've even towed a 6.5k trailer 630 miles with it, but I have a TH350 so that helps with running such a high gear. I would imagine 3.73s would be fine with a SM465.

If I need more gear I drop my 203 in low, and I have all the gear I want.

You don't NEED 4.56s.
X2 on that. I have 2 trucks with 35s,one has 4:10s with SM465,the other 3.73s & A833.Your correct,if I need more gear just pull the 208 into low.I use these trucks in mud,snow,whatever & they work fine....
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

" Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution"
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #27
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgasca View Post
Well just to give an update. Got the rear axle installed this weekend. Bolted everything up and topped it off with gear fluid. My brother followed me on the first test drive and noticed my rear passenger side wheel (rim and tire) has a wobble. I do notice a bit of a jumpy ride when going slow. Anyone experience anything like this? Is there an easy fix or am I screwed?
Well, you can hope that it is just a bent wheel. Swap the rear wheels from on side to the other and drive it again. If the wobble moves, it's the wheel, if it stays on the same side, it's the axle. Neither is the end of the world, just a different solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #28
jgasca

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Well, you can hope that it is just a bent wheel. Swap the rear wheels from on side to the other and drive it again. If the wobble moves, it's the wheel, if it stays on the same side, it's the axle. Neither is the end of the world, just a different solution.
Just got home, swapped the wheels and the wobble stayed on the same side. So what are the possibilities? Bent shaft, bearings?

I'm thinking of just swapping the shafts from the other axle, if I do this what parts should I replace? and what kind of job would that be exactly?
jgasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #29
jgasca

Well I tore open the rear axle this weekend and the flange to the rear passenger wheel was bent! I replaced it and now all is good!!

Next will be to swap the front axles. The gears need to match for the front and rear correct?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #30
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Yes, they have to match. Do not engauge the front axle if the are not the same ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #31
jgasca

Well I got the front axle in this weekend. Everything looks good so far. I noticed my speedo was way off the faster I gave the truck. I was doing some research and I think I only have two options. Either get a gear reducer or change out my speedo drive gears. I've never attempted opening up my tranny so I'm not sure what kind of job that would be. I've googled it and haven't had any luck.

Any done this before?

I have a SM465 btw
Old 08-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #32
Jaydenn

Well if you found it with no gear oil in it, and you have a dubious gossip its a chance to take a look. The pinion keeping may did not, work due to lack of oil and now it's poor enabling the pinion to get in touch with the service provider.