The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2017, 12:33 AM   #1
Oldironracing

GM connect and cruise engine package

Has anyone used a connect and cruise engine from GM? Your good or bad experiences with it. Looking at one for my 72 truck.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
flipper58

Re: GM connect and cruise engine package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldironracing View Post
Has anyone used a connect and cruise engine from GM? Your good or bad experiences with it. Looking at one for my 72 truck.
I have, the LS3 and 4L60E package. In the middle of putting the truck back together, so I haven't fired it up yet. But, overall, the packaging, instructions, etc. have all been pretty good. If there is a negative, it's more on me than the connect and cruise setup. I ended up using aftermarket front drive assembly components (AC, brackets, etc.) more so than the the GM ones that I paid for.
flipper58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #3
Oldironracing

Would like to see and hear more about the install progress. Really thinking I won't to do this. But I'm just know learning about this LS stuff. I don't won't to buy someone else wore out stuff. Hear a lot about the 5.3 and 6.0 LS truck motors and what you can do with them. Not sure where to spend smart money. If I try to do one of the truck motors Am I going to have the same money in it buy the time you change the came,intake,wiring harness and programming? Did you have to change the oil pan on the LS3 to fit the truck and if you did what did you use?

Last edited by Oldironracing; 11-18-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Add something
Oldironracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
flipper58

Quote:
Would like to see and hear more about the install progress. Really thinking I won't to do this. But I'm just know learning about this LS stuff. I don't won't to buy someone else wore out stuff. Hear a lot about the 5.3 and 6.0 LS truck motors and what you can do with them. Not sure where to spend smart money. If I try to do one of the truck motors Am I going to have the same money in it buy the time you change the came,intake,wiring harness and programming? Did you have to change the oil pan on the LS3 to fit the truck and if you did what did you use?
Not sure how close it comes on the money in a truck motor vs. the connect & cruise package, but I guess it could end up pretty close if you do pretty much a complete rebuild to make it reliable and solid. And I did change out the oil pan to the CTS-V Cadillac pan. Plenty of clearance with that one.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
davepl

I went with just the LS3 engine (whatever they call that package) which is the same but without the trans, obviously. But it includes the controller and instructions and all of that.

I think it's a great way to go.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
Oldironracing

Found the best price at Nesmith Chevrolet in Ga. $11,930.00 free shipping. Where are you guys locating the fuse box,ecm and trans controller? They said I could order it with the truck pan #19212593. What are your thoughts on this? Will headers help that much with HP gains? Thanks for all the help that y'all give this LS stuff is new to me. Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
flipper58

Quote:
Found the best price at Nesmith Chevrolet in Ga. $11,930.00 free shipping. Where are you guys locating the fuse box,ecm and trans controller? They said I could order it with the truck pan #19212593. What are your thoughts on this? Will headers help that much with HP gains? Thanks for all the help that y'all give this LS stuff is new to me. Happy Thanksgiving
That seems like a good price. I am still trying to figure out where to mount all that stuff. Under dash, but just not sure yet. I hope to figure all that out in the next few weeks. Got a few ideas from a thread I started on that very issue. Just not decided yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #8
67LS3GMC

You can order everything through Summit racing same price & free shipping . The LS3 pan will not work without notching the crossmember ( that is what I did to keep the 8 qt pan. ) CTS-V Cadillac is the best choice , truck pan hangs a little low.
67LS3GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #9
A1971Blazer

I found a true 5.7L all aluminum LS1 out of a 2002 trans-am with about 100K miles......it was still in the car and I actually heard it running and drove it before the guy pulled it....

it came with the 4L60E that I traded for a 4x4 version as it will be going in my K/5 Blazer.....

I got everything with it including an uncut harness which I have already had converted......got the cruise control module too

the whole set-up cost me around $3000 after getting the harness reworked and the PCM re-flashed....

my thought is...... I don't need ground-pounding horsepower....just good performance, economy, and reliability.
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #10
Oldironracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
I found a true 5.7L all aluminum LS1 out of a 2002 trans-am with about 100K miles......it was still in the car and I actually heard it running and drove it before the guy pulled it....

it came with the 4L60E that I traded for a 4x4 version as it will be going in my K/5 Blazer.....

I got everything with it including an uncut harness which I have already had converted......got the cruise control module too

the whole set-up cost me around $3000 after getting the harness reworked and the PCM re-flashed....

my thought is...... I don't need ground-pounding horsepower....just good performance, economy, and reliability.
Have been looking for something like that just have not got lucky.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:28 PM   #11
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post

I'm with you 100%. I found my LS1 out of a 2002 Firebird LSX with ~42,000 miles with a T56 Six Speed. PC already flashed and ready to install in my 70 for $2500. Easyest swap I've ever done and the most enjoyable one to drive and have fun with. Might up the HP later but for now just enjoying the fuel mileage and smoking the tires in 1st 2nd and a chip in 3rd LOL
Steve
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca

Last edited by 1970 CST Short Wide; 12-14-2017 at 10:37 AM.
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #12
clegg

For my 1955.2 truck I sourced an LQ4 6.0 LS truck motor and a 4L80E trans for a total of 1300.00 off of Craigslist. Had the included PCM and engine harness reworked for $400. It needed cleaned up, but starts and runs perfectly for a total sum of $1700.
clegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:14 PM   #13
izzy_Britton

2 years ago this month I bought a 2004 suburban with a 5.3 / 4L60e for $400 from a local tow yard, was a easy roll over, the guy was DUI and never came to pick it up. I drove it onto the trailer to get it to a buddies shop where he pulled engine, trans, wire harness, computer, and fuel tank for me. He did all this for me in trade for the left over parts that he then later paid me $500 for. So in reality I was paid $100 to take a 5.3 /4L60e. I bought an oil pan for a 2000 camaro for $160 (ish) and complete billet (bits and pieces) f.e.a.d. system from ITC billet for maybe $500. and a Dirty Dingo A/C mount for another $140. This is definitely the way to go in my opinion.

I have since bought 18 more 99-07 GM trucks for the engine and trans combos, for 3-400 $$ each on average, one was $700 and one was $1.00, I have kept and fixed 5 of those for me and one for my step son.

What i am getting at is... craigslist is a great tool, but dont limit yourself to classified ads. Some people dont have the balls to walk up to a house or repair shop that has something in the yard that they want, knock and ask if they are willing to part with said desired item. I will tell you I used to not. I have in the past two years beat on numerous doors and asked if those people want to part with many different cars and trucks and although there is a lot of turn downs, there have been a few nice scores. the VAST majority of the trucks i have bought have come from the local tow and impound yards, granted i used to drive tow truck so i know just about all of the yard owners personally, but if you are patient and make your rounds to the different yards in your willing travel radius you will probably get too lucky. you will find one that fits your bill of needs and probably get a few more calls than you really wanted about trucks or cars that come available after you have already found your donor vehicle. I have a few tow yards that call me about once every other month (combined) to let me know they have a truck or car that is up on lien sale and i have first dibs on it if i am interested. Just saying that the confidence to BEG for crashed or impounded cars is everything when looking for the right donor vehicle.
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:08 PM   #14
Oldironracing

I hear all the stores of the great finds have looked and guess I need too just keep looking. Kind of like the idea of all the new stuff and should be right. But you never know.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #15
Oldironracing

Well guys I bought the 500 hp with the hot cam package.
12,000.00 after rebates. Got it from Nesmith Chevrolet in Ga.
Should be here in two weeks.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:15 AM   #16
izzy_Britton

Quote:
Merry Christmas to YOU! woohoo have fun with that.
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #17
lutronjim

I have lc9 65e connect and cruise in my 70 stepper. Been running for over 2 years and love it.

Feels like it has 2 307 engines. Driving back Ga highways at 60 mph got me 22 mpg. Miles were measured by gps so its fairly accurate.
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #18
Oldironracing

Thanks for reply
Old 01-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #19
nsb29

Quote:
Did that include the transmission and which one
nsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #20
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Awesome....! keep us up to date on this project...
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #21
Oldironracing

Trans is a 4L70. Will do on the up dates. Been cleaning shop and rearranging getting ready to start. We just finished my sons truck 46 ford bobber truck chevy running gear.
Attached Images

Last edited by Oldironracing; 01-14-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Oldironracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:30 PM   #22
lutronjim

Noticed earlier post said the pan wouldn't fit. The lc9 package went in my 70 with no cutting anywhere and with the supplied pan.
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #23
Oldironracing

Got the call package should be here end of next week
Old 01-23-2018, 09:18 AM   #24
Low Elco

Here's one done at a verrrry nice level.. Connect and cruise is about 2/3 the way into the thread. Any questions, PM Vic, he's a great guy.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #25
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Here's one done at a verrrry nice level.. Connect and cruise is about 2/3 the way into the thread. Any questions, PM Vic, he's a great guy.
Me thinks you forgot a link.....

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote