The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
656mx

rear coil spring frame brackets

Does anyone make new brackets that mount to the bottom of frame for coil springs? I want to replace mine on my 68 c10. Ive been searching threads and sites but cant find nothing.
656mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
bsampson

Re: rear coil spring frame brackets

I'll take a stab at this, but I have a leaf spring truck - so I'd wait for somebody to verify this...

Are you are talking about the same crossmember that the shocks mount to? If so, CPP makes one - its called the 'Rear Shock Crossmember'. There are other sources, but they may be more of a system than an individual piece.

I have plans to convert my leaf spring truck to coils, so I have done a little research. I've contacted ECE, and they do not have one.

If you have skills/resources to fabricate, I think it would be an easy piece to make.
bsampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
656mx

This is the bracket I was talking about

Its worse than I originally thought so Im probably just going to rebuild the whole section.

Front is all done
Old 04-26-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
bbcmudtruck

My frame was in just as bad as shape as yours is. The driver side was so bad that I just ended up cutting a whole two feet of frame out and replacing it with a section from a leaf spring truck. Then I patched in the passenger side as needed. Once I got all of the bad metal out, I welded in c-notches and added a CPP shock tower. It took me something like 40 or 50 hours of work hahah. I tried my very best to get it as perfect as I could. Here is a picture of the shock tower in place that I used.

bbcmudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
656mx

[QUOTE=bbcmudtruck;7149681]My frame was in just as bad as shape as yours is. The driver side was so bad that I just ended up cutting a whole two feet of frame out and replacing it with a section from a leaf spring truck. Then I patched in the passenger side as needed.

That's what I'm going to have to do. I want it to look original as I can. Going to have to watch the parts boards for someone cutting up a frame.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
bbcmudtruck

If you have a junk yard close to you, you could have them cut a section out for you. A leaf spring frame is less likely to have the damage in the same spot due to how the coil spring mounts hold water and rust out real bad right there. One thing about using a leaf spring frame as a donor is that you'll have to locate the coil spring hole. Measure, measure, measure! Take pictures, write the measurements down and measure them again hahah. If you need anymore pictures or references on how I fixed mine, just let me know!
bbcmudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
Rocket3

Replacements would be nice.I have briefly looked through only some catalogs I had and not found any,so I plan to take these and a portion of rail from a '72 LWB coil spring 2wd and repair the '70 SWB coil spring frame, Heat and reform bends around rivet holes,cut out bad,weld i n patches.( SLOWLY) I like the OEM over the aftermarket tubular because it's a system that ties bottom/top of frame together through the shock mount/crossmember and the triangle shaped doubles the thickness on inside of frame. .I know Porterbuilt and others have back 1/2 kits,but as for me they are too pricey and too intense for my plans.Last pic is of SWB frame,L , to repair.Spring bolt hole is "slightly" enlarged and vertical side is puckered out and split. R. side is 50- 60% better.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rocket3; 09-19-2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spell
Rocket3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:04 AM   #8
Ram-Man

I bought these from a place in Canada. They were $110 shipped from there. I am now using a Porterbuilt rear so I don't need them. $100 shipped if you are interested.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2015, 10:12 PM   #9
Rocket3

I will pass. Decided to fix these or fab new ones. However would like to know where you got them? They possibly have something else I need. Always looking for vendors of our products.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #10
PGSigns

This guy may have just what you need. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=683069
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote