The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2022, 06:00 PM   #576
Boog
laying low

Re: What did you do to your truck today??

Mercy John! What time's dinner?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:28 AM   #577
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Mercy John! What time's dinner?
Actually, I turned that big ole 2.5 lb fat gal loose, but y friends and I have been keeping lots of 1-1.5 lb fish. We filleted 98 crappie and 2 bass yesterday. This rain is probably gonna mess it up, but the spawn bite WAS on.

Come on down to Greeson and we’ll feed ya.
Posted via Mobile Device
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 01:15 PM   #578
Boog
laying low

Lordy. I know ya'll are having some fun.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:27 PM   #579
special-K
Special Order

I bought a pre-'95 console at the junkyard. It's not blue, it's grey, and it will need work at the mounts. But it's all there and I'll repair it, then dye it.

I also picked up the second pair of wheels from the sandblaster/painter. I called my buddy and went up to get all four mounted. It was almost dark and raining, so they are still stuffed in the back of the 'Burb. I can't wait to slap those on, BFG KOs. AND, no more rubbing. I am really tired off that BS. Tired of seeing the '72 on jack stands, too! I'll get pictures and post them up

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:28 PM   #580
dave6672

A turkey flew out of the brush on the side of the road and I couldn't miss it. Broke the passenger side headlight and parking light/turn signal, as well as broke the entire grill on my 93 Suburban (forgot to take pics of the damage). Installed all new front lights and grill.
Attached Images

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:57 AM   #581
special-K
Special Order

Nice to be all fixed back to handsome. nice to have fresh clear lights, too. That's a nice looking Burb

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-27-2022, 08:20 PM   #582
special-K
Special Order

I won't be doing it, but on Wed I'm having a new windshield installed. Mine has been cracked for years. Shame on me, but I'm starting to bring the old war wagon back up again.

I still haven't taken pictures with my new tires and refreshed wheels yet. But here is a sneak peek w/o the hubcap
Attached Images

Tim

Old 03-27-2022, 08:44 PM   #583
Just call me Sean

My 93 has been cracked since I got the truck. Not just cracked but spider webbed on both sides. The 99 is only cracked, as is the S10.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:28 PM   #584
Boog
laying low

Finally put in new plugs and wires on the Yukon. My arms and hands look like they've been wrestling a gator but I won!

Old 03-29-2022, 07:45 AM   #585
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
My 93 has been cracked since I got the truck. Not just cracked but spider webbed on both sides. The 99 is only cracked, as is the S10.
It has been at least three years with mine. I need piece of mind. I get all worried every time I see a cop. Plenty of them around and some areas have very zealous ones, especially my town. I'm trying to bring this Suburban back uphill after just running it to get by for so long. It's starting to feel more special to me, not that I didn't always like it. I've been focusing funds on the house and figuring I'll end up replacing it. Well, I don't see that happening anytime soon so I need to give this thing more respect. Other than tires and shocks, I'm starting from the inside out. Got bucket seats and console now and soon I'll have the multi-function switch and heater controls fixed. I have an upgrade steering wheel and stereo, as well as nice cluster surround and cupholder to go in at that time. Also needed a glovebox and that has now been replaced. So it will be nice looking out through a good windshield for a better driver seat experience. I also plan on pickup carpet. The rubber mat was worn through at the heel for gas foot when I bought it and the carpet will make it more cozy. The interior has been crappy since I bought it

Quote:
Finally put in new plugs and wires on the Yukon. My arms and hands look like they've been wrestling a gator but I won!
That's a good step taken in maintenance of a truck that needs little. I should do the same, but that's item #32 on my list

I know what you mean about torn up forearms. Does our skin get more dry or thin or something when we get older? I'm always chewing them up doing things. I can't prune a bush without poking or scraping them up

Tim

Old 03-29-2022, 10:16 PM   #586
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It has been at least three years with mine. I need piece of mind. I get all worried every time I see a cop. Plenty of them around and some areas have very zealous ones, especially my town.
I had researched the law a bit on and off when I was younger, but after a very unpleasant experience with a bad cop it became my quest to understand the law correctly. My findings caused me to go through a few emotional breakdowns, but I made it through and continued my real world testing. Some earlier tests I did: driving with no tag, driving with expired registration, driving with suspended license. Some later tests: blowing a stop sign in full view of an officer, passing speeding officers on the highway. I had to be sure they weren't going to pull me over anymore. I still like to pass them on the highway but I try not to be a jerk. They're trying to help.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:51 AM   #587
special-K
Special Order

I was a cop magnet when I was a young driver. I was no angel, but I got stopped many many times for doing nothing, just to get checked out. I guess my vehicles stood out and I was a longhair.
These new town cops are GI Joes. My son got pulled over in his Ranger for skateboard stickers on his rear window. First of all, it's a truck and the passenger vehicle law does not apply. You don't even have to have a rear window in a truck. It can be completely blocked. And he only had the stickers to the sides behind the headrests, leaving the view for the mirror clear. They just wanted to pull him over. They pulled me over and said I was weaving, which I absolutely was not. In fact, he came up on me all fast and pulled me over immediately. He never followed me to observe me weave. Anyway, I was sober as can be and was taking my grand daughter in to McDonalds at 10:30 Saturday night after picking her up from a friend's. I asked what she had for dinner and she said they didn't feed her. Just being a good grand dad. Sorry officer, no criminal activity here.

This crack runs from 6" from bottom on the passenger side edge to about 4" from the edge and 6" down from top on driver side. At least it is above my line of sight on my side. It's also above the visor.

Tim

Old 03-31-2022, 09:35 AM   #588
special-K
Special Order

No windshield. I should have known better. This cracked windshield is a replacement. My Suburban has no rust but surface rust where the wire from the prior replacement scraped the edge over the windshield. He saw that and said he couldn't do it. He is bound by the national chain's standards and I guess they are instructed to turn down ones showing rust. He said maybe a smaller shop would 'take a chance' or I could take it to a body shop where they would remove it, the shop do the repair, then they'd install. I told him I am the body shop, so when I'm ready I'll call for the removal. He said they couldn't do it that way. They won't come to my house just to pull it. But I'm the body shop, it gets fixed here! Round and round, the fact is Safelite is lame to the max. You can see the only rust is surface rust on the actual edge where it was scraped. The leading edge turned down to the glass then the hem has white paint on it. No rust bleed from behind the trim. I am sure there is no rust on the hem and what you can see does not indicate such. I'll have to take it to real auto glass shop and see what they say. I already knew these trucks, or this type of glue-in windshield, have a tendency to rust in there. I'm sure mine is fine

Tim

Old 04-01-2022, 11:18 PM   #589
Boog
laying low

I replaced the actuator for the air recirc door in the 91. It started knocking a couple weeks ago. It's 31 yrs old so. But it is the most difficult one of the 3 to replace and today was my 2nd attempt at it. It's located between the blower housing and the firewall. The top screw cannot be seen and I couldn't get my fingers on it. I bought a long 1/4" drive ratchet to use on this but it really was too big to go in there far enough so I shoved a piece of hose onto the short ratchet and reached it that way. I'm winning! However I did not try to put that top screw back in. Just no way to get it started but it feels solid enough to hold up with just 1 screw and the locating pin. All quiet now.

Old 04-02-2022, 04:13 AM   #590
Just call me Sean

I need to do the temperature one on the 99.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:30 AM   #591
hatzie

Quote:
I replaced the actuator for the air recirc door in the 91. It started knocking a couple weeks ago. It's 31 yrs old so. But it is the most difficult one of the 3 to replace and today was my 2nd attempt at it. It's located between the blower housing and the firewall. The top screw cannot be seen and I couldn't get my fingers on it. I bought a long 1/4" drive ratchet to use on this but it really was too big to go in there far enough so I shoved a piece of hose onto the short ratchet and reached it that way. I'm winning! However I did not try to put that top screw back in. Just no way to get it started but it feels solid enough to hold up with just 1 screw and the locating pin. All quiet now.
The recirc motors are jammed up against the side kick panel like that on a bunch of GM vehicles.
My 09 Impala had a noisy recirc motor and it was a nightmare to R&R even with the glovebox out and sitting in the trunk. The recirc door on my 2005 Silverado is stuck open... It's quiet so it's staying that way.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:29 PM   #592
special-K
Special Order

I found a nice blue glovebox door at the junkyard and popped it in. I had a grey one until I could find the blue. I also grabbed a really clean spare tire mount from another '95 Suburban K2500. I never had that and was using a bungie cord. Very nice to have the right thing now. I also grabbed a pair of blue GM floor mats. The first one I found was in my son's CUCV Blazer a few years ago. I swapped him another mat. Recently I found another single. Yesterday I found a pair and now have the driver side. I didn't realize they were different. The main reason I went was to get the heat control panel plugs from a '95 so I can make the adaptor harness up before tearing into the dash. I'll make a second harness once I get my old plugs out, since I grabbed a second '96-up harness end.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 04-10-2022 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:04 AM   #593
Snarl95

changed oil,greased the front end and driveshafts.

The lessons that hurt are the lessons that teach.
There is always a price to pay.
You are free to make any decision you want. You are not free from the consequences.
Snarl95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:26 AM   #594
44th Miss Inf

Went yesterday and helped my wife’s young nephew get an 88 running he just inherited. It has been sitting at least 5 years. Dropped tank and cleaned, reinstalled. Got it to fire off.

Plan is a new tank, sending unit and fuel pump to start. Then go thru the brakes/wheel bearings. I’m having to show him everything, as no one has ever taken time (his family is not mechanically inclined) but that is what we are supposed to do.

Then I have to teach him to drive it, as its a 350/5 speed RCSB truck.
44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 10:13 AM   #595
Boog
laying low

Ah yes, getting by the anti theft feature.

Old 04-12-2022, 11:20 AM   #596
special-K
Special Order

He'll have himself a cool shortbed. That's great you are helping him learn to help himself

Tim

Old 04-13-2022, 09:19 PM   #597
Just call me Sean

On my way home I was behind a little Ford Ranger when it bounced up with a big puff of a dirt cloud and some big thing came out from under it. I'm not sure if I heard a bang when it hit it but I sure remember the bang when I hit it. I couldn't really do anything and I'm glad I didn't because it went under between the tires. It dented the front of the lower control arm where it attaches to the frame. It cut the frame a little where the rear of the control arm attaches. It put a small dent in the exhaust crossover pipe. It dented the transmission crossmember. It then hit the gas tank and ripped a chunk out of the plastic shield and dented the gas tank. It caught the rear wiring harness for the taillights and fuel pump and ripped them from the frame, and put more scrapes down the gas tank shield and bent the rear gas tank strap. Then it hit the rear axle tube before it got thrown up as it came out from under the truck and hit my trailer frame where it comes together to the hitch and because of the angle it ejected to the side keeping it from going under the trailer. This was on the toll road so not any good spots to stop with cars flying by, but I stopped briefly to make sure my tires weren't flat and I wasn't leaking fluid. I made it home and inspected the damage better there. The Ranger must have gotten messed up. I definitely saw one flat as he was pulling over and it's a lot closer to the ground than my truck.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:24 PM   #598
special-K
Special Order

I can understand how that happened to you. But how is it the guy in the Ranger didn't notice such a thing in the road? I learned a long time ago, no matter how small, if I see anything in the road I won't assume it's ok to run over. I had the hook off a bungie strap in the road cut my sidewall and ruin a tire right then and there. It was laying flat on the road, so couldn't see it till too late. But it managed to roll up and cut my tire. I must have hit it just right. I'm glad something worse didn't happen to your truck

And I have a story to tell about coming home from a bar with a friend in his Super Beetle who hit a transmission in the road (3spd). I was crashed out but I woke up to a BOOM! and the car jumping up. Killed a tire and wheel and bent the running board up. We were dead in the water. Had to hitchhike home. But not before I ran back, picked that thing up, and threw it off the bridge. I hated that thing!

Tim

Old 04-13-2022, 10:47 PM   #599
Just call me Sean

I never assume it's okay to run anything over, but a hard swerve in my truck wouldn't be a great thing to do either. Yea I was pretty relieved I only had to put the wires back into the sheathing and clip it back to the frame.
Old 04-16-2022, 01:42 PM   #600
Boog
laying low

I have had intermittent discharging from the alternator for a while. I found the single small gauge wire plug on the back of the alternator was clipped in place but apparently not making good contact. I unplugged it and cleaned it good and snapped it back in. Charging was good again, until this morning on a run into town. The gauge got down to about 10 volts or so. I didn't dare shut the truck off so I made it home. I jiggled the plug in and bumped it. The voltage came back up but went right back down. So I removed the alternator and opened er up. To my surprise the brushes and bearings look good. I could not find anything loose or broken. I believe this is the original unit with 83,000 miles on it. I slightly twisted the single blade terminal in that plug in hopes of making a stronger contact. If it happens again I guess I'll have to have it rebuilt or buy a new one.