The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
davepl

Paranoid?

I don't know if I'm paranoid or not, but my truck is locked in a locked garage.
The locked garage has motion sensors around the perimeter as well.
The garage is alarmed and monitored.
The truck is blocked in by a modern vehicle.
The truck is equipped with Lojack.
...and yet...

I still put a boot on it when it's parked for a long time!

[We'll omit mention that I parked it with the the keys in it somehow a couple of weeks ago, only about the 2nd or 3rd time in my life I've done that!]
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
B. W.

Re: Paranoid?

Yes, yes you are!
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:30 AM   #3
davepl

Kinda figured I might be, but I still have my truck :-)
Old 11-13-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
100%Chevy

Better safe than sorry!
My 13 trucks and cars are inside my shop (50'x75' steel purlin building) about 500' behind my house.
I have a camera over the solid steel plate door.and,a night light.Camera is motion and sound sensitive.I have a monitor in the house.
All my vehicles have battery dis-connects and the keys are hidden.
There's lights front and rear of the shop.
My house is 2 story and I can see the shop from upstairs well enough to aim my rifle.
My property is fenced and posted with entrance gates.
I have other cameras too.
All because I live out in the woods so to speak and there's a lot of transient activity around here.
Break-ins and home invasions happen all too often.Drugs too.
I've had tresspassers way too many times and 2 times vandalism.I had one man arrested.Had a fight with 2 others.
It all depends on where you live and how long it takes the law to show up!
The economy is dying here or we would sell and move out!
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I left my 65 Mustang in the driveway saturday with the window down and the keys in it... meant to go back out and put it in the garage and fell asleep early.

The C10 is outside 24-7. It's locked most of the time.

I have good insurance.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #6
rpmerf

I'm on the opposite end. I park my truck on the street. I wasn't even sure if the locks worked until about 2 years ago when I figured I should start locking it. Not sure if it is even better to lock it, as there is nothing worth stealing inside. I'd rather have someone dig though it than break a window. Most people around here (especially the type of person that is breaking into cars) wouldn't even know how to start it if I gave them the key.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:44 PM   #7
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
I have good insurance.
My rationale is that I have literally five years of my time into the restoration of it, so while I could buy another vehicle with the insurance funds, it would never be the one I spent five years on.

I am -only- that way about my restored vehicles. I don't lock my bike or tools up, as it's not needed in my area.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
toolboxchev

Yes, I would too! Yet many others have yet to see exact the reason for your feelings!

or GMC for the matter.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
B. W.

If I owned your truck I'd be cautious too. If you're that way with your truck I can only imagine what you do about your dad's car!
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
If I owned your truck I'd be cautious too. If you're that way with your truck I can only imagine what you do about your dad's car!
Dave is a very kind type of guy, I was privileged enough to get a first hand view of those beauties.

Quite Impressive.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #11
geezer#99

FIRE!!!
Are you protected against fire?
You can have guard dogs and security patrols 24/7 to keep them safe but a fire could wipe you out.
Just like this guy who lives a little north of you Dave.

https://www.langleytimes.com/news/la...royed-by-fire/
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #12
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
My rationale is that I have literally five years of my time into the restoration of it, so while I could buy another vehicle with the insurance funds, it would never be the one I spent five years on.

I am -only- that way about my restored vehicles. I don't lock my bike or tools up, as it's not needed in my area.
I have 22 years into my C10. It's literally part of my family, but if some yahoo wants it bad enough, they'll get it. It can be wrecked "easier" than it gets stolen, but I'm not going to stop driving it.

It was my high school ride, my college ride, it took my wife and I on our first date, it was part of our wedding, and it still gets driven weekly.

Edit: I had almost forgotten... I hit a deer with it when I was 17 in 1996, and around 2003 a pine tree fell across the bed in the Clemson parking lot. Luckily it was almost the top of the tree. I did have to bend the bed rail back straight and fix a few dents in the fender... I had fogotten about all that...

I've had my mustang for over 6 years now. I have literally countless hours and thousands of dollars in both.

My only recourse if something happens is that I have more than enough coverage to buy something nicer than I had. It's about all I can do, aside from being paranoid
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #13
Jim Boy

Smile Re: Paranoid?

I wonder how many folks out there wish that they were paranoid instead of heart broken? How about a couple of *****en dogs so that there is a blood trail. Have a good one eh!
Jim Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #14
leddzepp

Oh yeah
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #15
jocko

you may not be...
I stuffed an original big block 65 Impala SS in a fenced, monitored, video'ed, and well lit storage facility. Then I got the dreaded call "your storage unit has been broken into"... The rat bastages simply drove a tow truck over the fence, and hooked the wrecker's hook onto multi garage doors simo and yanked em off the tracks. And then stole everything that wouldn't move. Fortunately, my car wouldn't move because I had a hidden kill switch, or two , and the garage door didn't fall into the garage when they yanked it off the rails. I was lucky and you're not paranoid. Or we both are. Regardless, your boot is probably the best deterrent. If it cannot roll, it's often just to difficult for the average moron to figure out in a rush.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #16
Brentwe

Pretty lucky here in the sticks, wife made me start locking the house last year cuz some some odd dude came down our driveway ( no blame there). But unitl then, any of my vehicles had the keys in them, they don't now,except for my plow tractor. He doesnt have enough gas in him to go too far, assuming you know how to start a 1965 case tractor.
Brentwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:29 PM   #17
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Maybe you are, but I'm not one to judge. I have CCTV on the front of the house, and I guess I'm going to have to do the back yard too, because of our A-H neighbor. We're finding parts of rats in our back yard. Our dogs won't touch the carcasses, so they're coming from somewhere else, and the neighbor's back yard is very obviously rat-infested.

One of my sons had his car parked around the corner on Halloween, and I discovered egg on the hood last Sunday. I thought that these two-stage paint jobs were egg-proof. One of those things- we are pretty sure who did it- A-H neighbor- same as last time, who egged every vehicle we own, plus squirting mustard on them. That crap ain't cute. We caught it in time then, but now it's going to take a repaint of his hood, which will be about $500, only since there is no body work involved. His car is barely over a year old. I'd love to put up a reward sign and make them pay, but I wouldn't hold much hope for that.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:41 AM   #18
100%Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
you may not be...
I stuffed an original big block 65 Impala SS in a fenced, monitored, video'ed, and well lit storage facility. Then I got the dreaded call "your storage unit has been broken into"... The rat bastages simply drove a tow truck over the fence, and hooked the wrecker's hook onto multi garage doors simo and yanked em off the tracks. And then stole everything that wouldn't move. Fortunately, my car wouldn't move because I had a hidden kill switch, or two , and the garage door didn't fall into the garage when they yanked it off the rails. I was lucky and you're not paranoid. Or we both are. Regardless, your boot is probably the best deterrent. If it cannot roll, it's often just to difficult for the average moron to figure out in a rush.
I also have a 65 Impala.With a 454. Some may think I'm paranoid,some say insurance will pay.This is mostly true.But until the law can help,I do what I have to concerning my property.
Insurance won't replace my dad's tools or his truck I have,nor my mom's car.Plus,it devalues stuff,so you can't replace it with the same.
I seldom invite people I don't know well to come over.I've actually come home to find a man inside my shop that I forgot to lock!People don't have the respect for people like they used to have.
Most of the time stolen property is never returned either.And,the thief knows what he's after,usually before he steals it!
Another problem I've had is good friends may talk about something I own and the word gets around.Next thing is you get robbed!
The guy I caught in my shop said he heard I had some cars for sale!Cop didn't believe him either! I had to post a bond to make sure I'd press charges and come to court. He got a warning.
Someone broke into my next door neighbors shed 2 weeks ago.Stole some small stuff and is still loose.
And,I have a big noisy dog too.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:21 AM   #19
CastIron

I don't think it's paranoid. It's just being careful about the things you care about. I've actually been thinking just within the last couple of weeks ideas to keep mine from getting stolen. It sits in a 3 sided garage not too far from the house. I'm thinking about just disconnecting the wire going to the coil and locking the hood somehow. I've also thought about hiding a switch somewhere that will make the horn turn on instead of the starter if somebody tries hotwiring it. I also want to be able to take it on some longer camping trips and not worry about it getting broken into.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote