The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #1
Phungki

Cab is finally off

Finally got the cab off. Now the really messy work begins. This is my first attempt at doing something like this. Lots of pictures and plastic bags labeled with parts. Let’s hope I can still get manage to get it back together. I have a factory assembly book and of course you guys here so I should be ok.
I can say for certain that my 1/2” cordless impact drill was huge in getting this tore down. Nothing that thing can’t get loose. I’ll attach a couple pics because I know we all like those. Thanks for all the questions you guys have answered for me so far.
Attached Images

Phungki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Cab is finally off

First thing is you'd better tell us all what brand and model of 1/2" cordless impact you have!

Second is, What are your plans for this truck?

Third is CONGRATS! You're in it up to your neck now....like we all are.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 05-28-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:00 AM   #3
Phungki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
First thing is you'd better tell us all what brand and model of 1/2" cordless impact you have!

Second is, What are your plans for this truck?

Third is CONGRATS! Yo
u're in it up to your neck now....like we all are.
Lol yeah I’m neck deep in it for sure.
My plans keep evolving for the truck. I’m not going the mustang 2 front end route. I’m just replacing all the wearable suspension parts. Disk brake conversion in the front. Trans am rearend. Power brakes and steering. Undecided on colors or interior. Plenty of time to figure that out. I’m trying to keep it simple. This will be expensive enough as it is.
The driver I use is the dewalt xr 20v. It’s a beast. Removed cab bolts and motor mount bolts with ease.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

When you're putting in new original, upgrade to modern tie rod ends. They're much better/dependable. Also, figure out if the king pins needs to be redone. Reamed and fitted will make a huge difference. It'll get rid of the wandering when trying to drive straight.

Oh and PS: Upgrade to modern gas shocks. With those, modern tie rod ends and well fitting king pins it'll drive better than it ever did new.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #5
Phungki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
When you're putting in new original, upgrade to modern tie rod ends. They're much better/dependable. Also, figure out if the king pins needs to be redone. Reamed and fitted will make a huge difference. It'll get rid of the wandering when trying to drive straight.

Oh and PS: Upgrade to modern gas shocks. With those, modern tie rod ends and well fitting king pins it'll drive better than it ever did new.
How does one go about getting modern tie rods? If I order tie rods from LMC or whatever they won’t be modern? I was going to replace the kingpins. Also planned on getting from LMC. Unless I should be doing something else. always open to suggestions
Old 05-28-2019, 05:59 PM   #6
mr48chev

About 7 rows down it shows tie rod ends like Dan is talking about. https://www.classicparts.com/Chassis/products/143/

On the next row it shows the rebuild kits for the tie rod ends that came stock that are adjustable. Those can cause tire clearance issues with fatter tires on the front on these trucks. Plus you have to adjust the slack in them every once in a while.

Between impact wrench envy I'd say more than a few of us really like the looks of that little John Deere with the loader on it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:20 PM   #7
Phungki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
About 7 rows down it shows tie rod ends like Dan is talking about. https://www.classicparts.com/Chassis/products/143/

On the next row it shows the rebuild kits for the tie rod ends that came stock that are adjustable. Those can cause tire clearance issues with fatter tires on the front on these trucks. Plus you have to adjust the slack in them every once in a while.

Between impact wrench envy I'd say more than a few of us really like the looks of that little John Deere with the loader on it.
I will definitely look into those tie rod ends. Do they fit on the original tie rod? These are the ones correct?
https://www.classicparts.com/mobile/...info/76%2D005/

Yeah my dad has 4 tractors now I think. There is a reason I keep my truck out there. He has just about every tool. That’s what happens when you have been a gear head your whole life and never get rid of anything. Much to my moms dismay of course. I just get constant ribbing from the life long mopar guy. But he does appreciate the older trucks.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:33 AM   #8
pvienneau

Enjoy. Looks like a build to follow.

1949 unmolested Indy Farm Deluxe AD
1949 Standard 4 speed http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=581544
pvienneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:14 AM   #9
66 Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phungki View Post
Lol yeah I’m neck deep in it for sure.
My plans keep evolving for the truck. I’m not going the mustang 2 front end route. I’m just replacing all the wearable suspension parts. Disk brake conversion in the front. Trans am rearend. Power brakes and steering. Undecided on colors or interior. Plenty of time to figure that out. I’m trying to keep it simple. This will be expensive enough as it is.
The driver I use is the dewalt xr 20v. It’s a beast. Removed cab bolts and motor mount bolts with ease.
I second that part about the Dewalt XR 20V - mine is AWESOME - 1450# breaking torque - have yet to find one it couldn't break loose!!!

Thx,
Billy B.
66 Burban is offline   Reply With Quote