The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
k1rodeoboater

Good deal or not?

Local guy here has a 53 3/4 ton stepside with a working 3XX motor in it, 3 speed trans. interior is complete but needs work. From the pics my buddy sent me it looks to me like the current owner, a bodyman, did the cab forward repairs but never got to the bed and running boards. Clean and clear title, don't know when it was last registered though. And it comes with 4 extra fenders (fronts and rears)

Asking $4500 for it. I'm debating about going to take a look at it. If I buy it, it will be kept in storage till I have the time to work on it or for my Dad to work on it

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
duwem

Re: Good deal or not?

Pictures would help us determine the value.

What are you goals, if your building a hot rod, you may want to start with a 1/2 ton since they are short bed where as the 3/4 ton is a long bed.
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
k1rodeoboater

Copy paste this link.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...19#post5131319

The post by 63C10 has a pic of it. He's told me about it over the weekend. I haven't gotten a chance to lay eyes on it yet, hope to this weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 01-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
duwem

Thats a pretty poor picture, hard to see for sure, but it looks straight/solid.

I would say the price is high though, not as much demand for 3/4 tons as 1/2 tons.
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
k1rodeoboater

What would be more reasonable? I'm a bit of a freak and prefer longbeds for whatever reason.

If I were to buy it would be modernized for safety (brakes, seatbelts, ect). Aside from that it would be left mostly stock and modified/upgraded slightly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 01-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
coralhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwem View Post
Thats a pretty poor picture, hard to see for sure, but it looks straight/solid.

I would say the price is high though, not as much demand for 3/4 tons as 1/2 tons.
Are you sure that it is a 3/4 ton and not a 1/2 ton LB? I count 6 lug on the front hub. Stock 3/4 tonners are all 8 lug.
coralhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
coralhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1rodeoboater View Post
What would be more reasonable? I'm a bit of a freak and prefer longbeds for whatever reason.

If I were to buy it would be modernized for safety (brakes, seatbelts, ect). Aside from that it would be left mostly stock and modified/upgraded slightly.
Posted via Mobile Device
It depends on what your intentions are. If the cab forward is solid with new steel in the floor/corners, engine running, interior complete (not new), all gages intact and readable, decent fuel tank, intact glass, reworked brakes than I say it is not a bad price. If your intentions are to turn it into a S-10 than the price is high. I still think it is a 1/2 ton LB. My .02 worth.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralhead View Post
It depends on what your intentions are. If the cab forward is solid with new steel in the floor/corners, engine running, interior complete (not new), all gages intact and readable, decent fuel tank, intact glass, reworked brakes than I say it is not a bad price. If your intentions are to turn it into a S-10 than the price is high. I still think it is a 1/2 ton LB. My .02 worth.

He made a good point.

If the cab is solid and finished to a state that it is ready for final body work and paint it may be worth closer to the asking price but====

And it's a big but, how much of the truck are you actually going to use? If you plan on running the 235 as is and it's good that's worth bit but if the first order of the day is to pull it and put a V8 in the truck it's paying for something that you won't use and have to figure out how to get a decent price out of.

Personally I don't see 4500 I see more like 3000/3500 worth of truck that you can get in and drive as a truck.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
k1rodeoboater

My intention, and my Dad's, would be to restore to as original as possible with perhaps a few safety upgrades as I mentioned before. A v8 swap would only happen if the 6 was beyond repair. Not gonna really do anything crazy with it. My Dad really loves this style truck the most, he likes my 66 but I think the AD/TF trucks that he remembers seeing as a kid are his bucket list models
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 01-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
1959 Apache 3600

Not anything wrong with a longbed.

Enjoy the project!
1959 Apache 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
coralhead

Quote:
My intention, and my Dad's, would be to restore to as original as possible with perhaps a few safety upgrades as I mentioned before. A v8 swap would only happen if the 6 was beyond repair. Not gonna really do anything crazy with it. My Dad really loves this style truck the most, he likes my 66 but I think the AD/TF trucks that he remembers seeing as a kid are his bucket list models
Posted via Mobile Device
I paid a bit less than that for my 3/4 ton '50 and ended up replacing a lot of floor steel and cowels but the rolling chassis had already been gone through. New fuel tank, hood hinges and the stuff that will nickle/dime you to death. It had a good seat frame, steering wheel and interior/exterior items that are not cheap to replace. Are there many in the area for sale or would you have to travel a distance to find one? If it is a sound cab and at least a rebuildable motor and a future project i would say it is worth the price but would try $4k. These things are not getting cheaper. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #12
k1rodeoboater

Holy crap....after looking at the prices for replacement 3/4 ton parts I see why they aren't very popular. I am not so sure it is such a great deal and here is why, aside from the fact that 3/4 ton brake parts are expensive as all get out.

Pass running board is kinda jacked up, repairable but it would take a lot of work for me to get right.

All 8 fenders that come with the truck are probably beyond my scope to patch and repair. I tried to patch the rear fender on my 66 and miraculously got it to work with only a little distortion.

Both vent glass pieces need to be replaced, and at least 1 full frame is needed for the pass side. Rear window needs to be replaced too as it is cracked.

Cab floor has rust holes and thin spots in a few areas. Overall not bad considering its age but was not what I was hoping for. The corners by the kick panels have a shoddy fiberglass patch by the previous owner so who knows how bad that damage is

Drivers door is hanging funny and won't close fully. Also the drivers side cowl is dented where it looks like the door impacted the cowl. I can't remember if it was the driver or passenger door but e skin looks like it has bondo in it.

The truck was converted over to 12v, shoddily, and starts up on the first try with no hesitation. It sounded kinda funny at idle but I couldn't put my finger on why. Also there is some sort of bearing squealing in the trans. As I push in the clutch it starts up, but goes away at speed. back to my point on the 12v. All dad lights work, all gauges work...except fuel, but that is because when he converted to 12v he forgot to add a resistor to the sending unit and fried it. The truck also has an annoying woogah horn on it.

The grill is damaged, but probably repairable.

In the 60s the engine was rebuilt because they ran it out of oil. Rebuild tag from lobo is on the block. Additionally the owner wired in an electric fuel pump as the mechanical one was leaking

I also can't help but wonder why the current owner stripped it down to bare metal on the cab exterior, sprayed it with a shoddy coat of 2k and is trying to sell it.

On the plus sides....

The bed is in really good shape with the original wood. The head board needs to be replaced but that is to be expected. The tailgate has a few holes in it from reflectors and the license plate, but that is easily fixed as the tailgate is otherwise perfectly straight. Bedsides are solid with a few dents the can be worked out. Cross sills look to be solid still, bed strips are good too. Truck has a brand new exhaust on it, new brakes and cylinders, and new master cylinder.

My estimation....would be anywhere for $3-5k in body repair panels (no paint) and glass work. That's prior to touching the engine, trans, chassis, and interior which I figure would run about the same best to worst case. So $6-10k of work to get it done.

Prices based off lmc catalogue
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 01-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
k1rodeoboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralhead View Post
I paid a bit less than that for my 3/4 ton '50 and ended up replacing a lot of floor steel and cowels but the rolling chassis had already been gone through. New fuel tank, hood hinges and the stuff that will nickle/dime you to death. It had a good seat frame, steering wheel and interior/exterior items that are not cheap to replace. Are there many in the area for sale or would you have to travel a distance to find one? If it is a sound cab and at least a rebuildable motor and a future project i would say it is worth the price but would try $4k. These things are not getting cheaper. Good luck.
The cab seems to be sound minus some rust in the floor. Makes me wonder about the condition of the cab mounts/supports and cowls. All of the repairs would be well withing my abilities.

Interior is complete but needs to be redone of course. Tank appears to be good. The hood and hinges seem to be In superb shape for 60yr old metal
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 01-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
Maximus

Quote:
The cab seems to be sound minus some rust in the floor. Makes me wonder about the condition of the cab mounts/supports and cowls. All of the repairs would be well withing my abilities.

Interior is complete but needs to be redone of course. Tank appears to be good. The hood and hinges seem to be In superb shape for 60yr old metal
Posted via Mobile Device
In California, I would pass on the truck for two reasons,
1) I like the deluxe cabs, weather it be a AD 5-window or TF Big Window
2) there are WAY more of these trucks availible in decent condition due to weather conditions in california, and $4500 is a bit steep.
If it were a 1/2 ton 5-window, i would see the $4500 tag, but again, thats california conditions, in NC the trucks probably rust away at about 1000% faster rate, and thus the asking price in your neck of the woods may be more reasonable...

location, location, location.

That being said, If you like the truck for your own reasons, haggle with him. you only live once, and you might as well live it doing/restoring something you enjoy!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
coralhead

Quote:
Holy crap....after looking at the prices for replacement 3/4 ton parts I see why they aren't very popular. I am not so sure it is such a great deal and here is why, aside from the fact that 3/4 ton brake parts are expensive as all get out...............

The bed is in really good shape with the original wood. The head board needs to be replaced but that is to be expected. The tailgate has a few holes in it from reflectors and the license plate, but that is easily fixed as the tailgate is otherwise perfectly straight. Bedsides are solid with a few dents the can be worked out. Cross sills look to be solid still, bed strips are good too. Truck has a brand new exhaust on it, new brakes and cylinders, and new master cylinder.

My estimation....would be anywhere for $3-5k in body repair panels (no paint) and glass work. That's prior to touching the engine, trans, chassis, and interior which I figure would run about the same best to worst case. So $6-10k of work to get it done.

Prices based off lmc catalogue
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you sure that this is a 3/4 ton? Check the wheel lugs....If the brakes have already been through you are ahead. If you have the running boards you will be ahead. As for the cost of the patch panels and glass, go to truckandcarshop dot com for prices. LMC is high. I replaced both floor sides, inner and outer cowels, kick panels and cab corners (all patch panels) for <$650 materials. I did my glass locally. It just depends on how for you want to go on a restoration. Being a 3 window the price is probably high. no more than $4K.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
k1rodeoboater

Positive it is a 3/4 ton truck, has 8 lugs. Will this make it impossible to convert to disc brakes? I noticed there aren't a lot of parts for 3/4 ton tucks remade.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 01-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #17
_Ogre

you can get most parts for the 1/2 t trucks because they are popular.
3/4 t your stuck with jy parts or a frame swap

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote