The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > Suspension, Steering and Brakes

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Cracked Brake Line Fix

Went to change the oil in the truck today and noticed something I have missed for the last 5 years. The brake line that runs from the rear of the proportioning valve down to a flare union at the cross member under the engine, was rubbing on my header. Not good. So I gently moved it out of the way and "boink" it cracked at the weak spot where it had been rubbing.

So I hop in the '94 and off to the parts store for some fittings and a 4 foot piece of 1/4" steel tubing.

Here are a few pics of the process. I bent some of it by hand just to get it around things. But the two 90 degree bends I did with the tubing bender.

First 2 pics are of the culprit.

Third pic is the new line I bent.

I even removed the "slinky" from off of the old tubing and reinstalled it on the new tubing. I'm assuming its to help keep it from rubbing the frame and the other tubing for the front brakes.

Fourth and fifth pics are of the tube installed in the truck.

Vacuum bled the brakes and good as new!

I relocated the holding tab on the frame a little further up to help keep the vibes down and keep them in place. Very happy I found this in the driveway and not on the highway!

I am soooooo glad I bought a quality tubing bender and a flare double flare tool as well.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by augie; 02-16-2012 at 11:10 PM.