The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
xylorex

Air Ratchet Rebuild

Hey guys,

I have quite a few air tools, all ingersoll rand. I always add oil to them before use --- never head any trouble with them until last weekend.

I was helping my neighbor pull his rear bumper off, pulled out my trusty IR 109XPA air ratchet and the trigger was stuck. It would not depress. i purchased a "tune up" kit for it.

I can't seem to find any information at all on the teardown / rebuild. Not only for my model number, but for any air ratchet. The only thing i've found is the parts list / illustration. I figured that i would atleast be able to find a video on youtube, but no luck.

Have any of you rebuilt an air ratchet, or know where to find the service manuals?

Thanks.
xylorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:38 PM   #2
Jrainman

Re: Air Ratchet Rebuild

I had the same issue a while back with my very old IR orbital sander , IR tools are easy to work on dont let it scare you , If I remember the trigger design was just a basic poppit valve (ball and spring) the spring gave out after all those years of use , matched one up at my local hardware store . cleaned lubricated and assembled back together . runs like new since .
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
xylorex

Re: Air Ratchet Rebuild

Thanks for the reply jrainman. I ended up taking it apart over the weekend. The rubber valve seat had deteriorated. Took me a while to figure out it was even in there, but after taking it apart and putting it back together to only find the air leaking or the ratchet running without the button being pressed over and over again i finally figured it out.
xylorex is offline   Reply With Quote