The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2020, 07:33 PM   #26
RotaryRocketeer
Registered User
 
RotaryRocketeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 247
Re: Triumphant Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
Did you upgrade the internals of the LQ4?
To a point, but nothing extreme. Has a healthy truck oriented cam, .010 over, a good valve job on fresh heads, and appropriate springs. Rotating assembly otherwise stock.
RotaryRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:33 PM   #27
RotaryRocketeer
Registered User
 
RotaryRocketeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 247
Re: Triumphant Return

Took it across the scales today. Just a bit heavier than I figured. This is with me in it, 3/4 tank, and all the tools one would keep in a truck.
Attached Images
 
RotaryRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #28
jjzepplin
Registered User
 
jjzepplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ruskin Florida
Posts: 4,231
Re: Triumphant Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryRocketeer View Post
To a point, but nothing extreme. Has a healthy truck oriented cam, .010 over, a good valve job on fresh heads, and appropriate springs. Rotating assembly otherwise stock.
What heads do you have? 317?
__________________
70 swb 4x4 406sbc 700r4 203/205 d60/14blt locker yadda yadda http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...88#post6935688 Yeller
72 Blazer 2wd conversion project "No Daggum Money" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550804 LS1-T56 3.73 LSD super budget build
Blanco-2014 Sierra SWB https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=810350
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:59 PM   #29
RotaryRocketeer
Registered User
 
RotaryRocketeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 247
Re: Triumphant Return

Yep. Although I have a set of 862s that I’m slowly porting as I get the time.
RotaryRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:12 AM   #30
RotaryRocketeer
Registered User
 
RotaryRocketeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 247
Re: Triumphant Return

Finally got around to installing the stainless brake hoses in the front end, and let me just say NEVER AGAIN. What a pain! They obviously hadnít been off EVER and the PO was real lax about letting things leak and accumulate grunge.

Iíve never encountered front hoses that were such a hassle, but the task is done and the brakes are much tighter. The lines also didnít have a 90 degree bend coming off the caliper. Made for a funky fit, but the manufacturer says these are correct and they do function well.
RotaryRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:17 AM   #31
Greenlee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: El Lago, TX
Posts: 1,588
Re: Triumphant Return

Nice truck! Looks like a work horse.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:14 AM   #32
jjzepplin
Registered User
 
jjzepplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ruskin Florida
Posts: 4,231
Re: Triumphant Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryRocketeer View Post
Finally got around to installing the stainless brake hoses in the front end, and let me just say NEVER AGAIN. What a pain! They obviously hadnít been off EVER and the PO was real lax about letting things leak and accumulate grunge.

Iíve never encountered front hoses that were such a hassle, but the task is done and the brakes are much tighter. The lines also didnít have a 90 degree bend coming off the caliper. Made for a funky fit, but the manufacturer says these are correct and they do function well.
Yeah them stock lines are a real mutha. I put steel braided on my 4x4 fronts 20 years ago and they are still working great. I recall the originals being a real fun day to get off but the new ones were easy to install and I probably should replace them now that you mention being lax.
__________________
70 swb 4x4 406sbc 700r4 203/205 d60/14blt locker yadda yadda http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...88#post6935688 Yeller
72 Blazer 2wd conversion project "No Daggum Money" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550804 LS1-T56 3.73 LSD super budget build
Blanco-2014 Sierra SWB https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=810350
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #33
Ziegelsteinfaust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Temple City
Posts: 2,268
Re: Triumphant Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryRocketeer View Post
Took it across the scales today. Just a bit heavier than I figured. This is with me in it, 3/4 tank, and all the tools one would keep in a truck.
That's not too bad. You have a 14 bolt FF, and they weigh close to 600 pounds. A flat bed can be a 1000 pounds because they are designed to be abused. Plus what looks like a heavy duty tool box, and how many tool?

My 07 GMC rcsb weighed 4900 with a full tank if gas, and me.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:36 PM   #34
RotaryRocketeer
Registered User
 
RotaryRocketeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 247
Re: Triumphant Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
Nice truck! Looks like a work horse.
Thanks Greenlee! I try to make it better any time I can.
RotaryRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #35
RotaryRocketeer
Registered User
 
RotaryRocketeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 247
Re: Triumphant Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
Yeah them stock lines are a real mutha. I put steel braided on my 4x4 fronts 20 years ago and they are still working great. I recall the originals being a real fun day to get off but the new ones were easy to install and I probably should replace them now that you mention being lax.
You ain't kiddin'. That job was almost like some kind of punishment or rite of passage. After a pretty entertaining contortion act on the passenger side, the driver's went a hair smoother, but not much.

I'll lend you some moral support from afar when you do yours.
RotaryRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #36
RotaryRocketeer
Registered User
 
RotaryRocketeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 247
Re: Triumphant Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
That's not too bad. You have a 14 bolt FF, and they weigh close to 600 pounds. A flat bed can be a 1000 pounds because they are designed to be abused. Plus what looks like a heavy duty tool box, and how many tool?

My 07 GMC rcsb weighed 4900 with a full tank if gas, and me.
It was just a couple hundred lbs. over what I had guessed. WOW! Later gen RCSB trucks are that heavy?!

No FF rear here though. This sucker has a 14 SF (weak sauce) and there's no toolbox on it. Just some things under and behind the seat. You're dead on with the bed though. Right around 1,000 lbs. She's just an ol' flat girl.

Edit: Nevermind. It is a FF rear end. I don’t know what I was thinking.

Last edited by RotaryRocketeer; 08-10-2020 at 03:27 PM.
RotaryRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #37
RotaryRocketeer
Registered User
 
RotaryRocketeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 247
Re: Triumphant Return

Driverís side rear hub bearing started clicking pretty hard a couple days ago. It would seem that the truckís new heart is a bit too strong for its worn out old ankles.

Iím gonna order parts and do both sides in the same sitting. Yíall got any advice or tips and tricks to help it go smoothly? Iíve never done anything to a 14 bolt FF, so any advice is appreciated.
RotaryRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:03 AM   #38
jjzepplin
Registered User
 
jjzepplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ruskin Florida
Posts: 4,231
Re: Triumphant Return

It was not your engine that damaged your 14 bolt. They are pretty indestructible. Most likely it was just age or a bad seal. They are very forgiving if you make sure you replace the bad parts with good name brand stuff.
__________________
70 swb 4x4 406sbc 700r4 203/205 d60/14blt locker yadda yadda http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...88#post6935688 Yeller
72 Blazer 2wd conversion project "No Daggum Money" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550804 LS1-T56 3.73 LSD super budget build
Blanco-2014 Sierra SWB https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=810350
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2020 67-72chevytrucks.com